VA vs IPS monitors for gaming

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by hotpants86, Jun 13, 2020.

1. hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

Hi guys,
    Coming from a TN so I've never gamed on an IPS or VA panel. I'm looking at getting either the Gigabyte G32QC (32" Samsung VA panel, 165hz, 1440p, freesync premium pro) or the new Samsung Odyssey G7 32".

I'm quite sensitive to framerate myself so I will probably hold out for something that's 4k/1000 nits brightness/144hz and upgrade my GPU and CPU then -- probably in a couple of years.

Planning on getting either of the monitors for the missus' birthday as she's not super framerate sensitive and likes RGB, curved monitors etc.

Thought i might get everyone else's opinions on VA vs IPS. It looks on youtube videos that when you adjust the overdrive mode with a suitable refresh rate (eg. drop it down to 120hz and have a less aggressive overdrive mode) you can get rid of ghosting/smearing. I have seen some youtube videos though where the animation of reloading a gun in overwatch basically looks like it was repeated in the background, and that scares me! The person doing the review didn't really notice it.

Currently gaming on an i7-7700k/1080ti with a 120hz Samsung 27" @ 1080p.

Cheers

2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

VA all the way, IPS is better for wide viewing angles, ok who sits at the side of their desk? Nobody!
    VA better contrast.

3. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

100% VA for gaming and movies. The colours are so much richer because of the contrast :thumbup:

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

You guys don't have any issues with ghosting?

5. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Nope. That really comes down to the monitor though. VA's ghost more than IPS panels, but a good VA panel with overdrive will pretty much remove the ghosting completely without also introducing overshoot.

VA: Much higher contrast for more vibrant colours and better detail in dark areas (i.e. movies and games), no 'IPS glow' or light bleed. Slower pixel response than IPS, has more ghosting than IPS.
    IPS: Better viewing angles and less ghosting/faster pixel response. More accurate colours (if you do photography/video editing etc). Much lower contrast so picture in dark areas looks washed out relative to a VA, and they can have horrible IPS glow and light bleed.

If you're after a good VA, i'm actually selling a 120hz ultrawide at the moment in the for sale forum /shameless plug.

6. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

If you are sensitive to framerate I would suggest sticking with IPS.

I went from 27 inch 144hz IPS to 34 inch 100hz VA ultrawide and really noticed the drop in pixel transition in dark scenes/games. I was unable to find a happy middle ground in overdrive setting (either got halos or bad black smearing).

VA definitely is nicer on a static image but if you are a high frame rate junkie think twice!

7. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Framerates meh, my 144hz IPS looks just as blurry as my 60hz VA HDR when looking around but also more washed out. If the OP was to put the two side by side, you'd see how crap the IPS looks.
    I don't know how "Sensitive" to FPS i am but if i can see the blur easily on the former i doubt it magically goes away for other people. ULMB which induces seizure like flickering to my eyes and i can't stand however is about the only time ever on any type of screen or fps i have noticed significantly less blur, but the flicker is not worth it!

8. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

My observations are based on a side by side comparison.

Obviously everyone has different things that they are sensitive to. For me the pixel response bothers me a lot more than the loss of contrast but YMMV.

Nethiuz likes this.
  9. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Not sure how you can draw conclusions about VA vs IPS when comparing 144Hz to 100Hz. Of course the 100Hz is slower than the 144Hz, plus that particular VA panel may have been slow.

Compare a good 144Hz VA vs a good 144Hz IPS and i'd bet money you won't notice a difference in pixel transitions whilst gaming. What you will notice however, is the massive contrast difference.

I've had 120Hz TN, IPS and VA - all good panels. To me, in terms of pixel transitions, the IPS and VA looked the same, with the TN being the only one that was noticably quicker (but also looked like ass image quality wise).

10. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

I think you are confusing refresh rate with pixel transition so here are some examples of a VA monitor at 144hz and an IPS monitor at 144hz from the most recent pcmonitors.info review I could find of a 27" QHD 144hz monitor.

IPS (BENQ EX2780Q)
    [​IMG]

VA (AOC AG273QCX)
    [​IMG]

Notice in the dark scenes how the VA panel smears and leaves a trail. This is typical of VA panels (you will see it mentioned in every review)

11. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Yes i'm very aware of what pixel transitions are and the trailing that slow pixel transitions can cause, along with the overshoot that high overdrive settings attempting to fix slow pixel transitions can also introduce. Increasing monitor refresh and frame rates decreases this trailing - additionally, high refresh panels inherently have lower GtG and MPRT times - they're linked.

Anyway, as i've said above, good VA panels minimise this to the point where a person won't notice the difference between it vs an IPS panel.

The VA panel you've linked is of a 'middle range' pixel responsiveness - so no relevant to a fast VA panel. The review itself specifically addresses this: 'The responsiveness is never the highlight of reviewing a VA model. But some models are still better than others. All things considered, we’d put this one somewhere in the middle'.

Look at a responsive VA panel as an example:

12. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

Both monitors I linked are within $20 of each other on MWave, same resolution and refresh rate so I think they provide a fair comparison of panel technology.

Since you reference the LG as a great example of VA monitor here it is @144hz clearly showing more black smear than the IPS above:

[​IMG]

13. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

sigh. I'm not going to argue with you over something about which you are clearly myopic and not open to the clear data in front of you.

I'll leave you with a quote from that PCMonitor's reviewer (who knows more about this than either you or I) about that LG monitor:

'Usually with a VA model you'd see obvious or fairly obvious smeary trailing as you move. On this model you don't see that at all'.

Have a lovely day :thumbup:

14. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

I think the quote you provided sums up the limitations of VA pretty well :thumbup:

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Well to be fair they both have their limitations and the inherent limitations of LCD to start with also... choose ya poison.

Further, it's not really as simple (hasn't been for a long time) as VA vs IPS as there are various types of both;

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/lcd-panel-types-explored/

I find this site informative for monitor choice and blur testing;

https://blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/

Blur reduction functions can assist greatly regardless of panel type;

https://blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

hotpants86

JSmith

16. OP
    OP
    hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

I think this is where it really becomes subjective.
    I'm going to bite the bullet and get her the Samsung Odyssey G7 as soon as it comes out (I wanna play on it too :p ).
    I don't want to go ultrawide for gaming due to compatibility issues personally. If it worked well on everything then I'd certainly give it a go.

As far as 144hz IPS having the same blur as 60hz VA, then I guess you're just not sensitive to it. I discovered high refresh monitors by going to a mate's place and seeing his monitor in action for the first time and going wtf why does it look so good. It was instant for me. It's also stopped me purchasing games if there's no high refresh support. I tried Sekiro at 60hz and it's just... shit. I was going to refund it but luckily a patch came out a few days later to get it to work with 120/144/165hz.
    Same thing earlier on Xbox 360 when games were 60 fps (eg. Forza) vs 30 fps it was super noticeable to me. For me it's like mechanical hard drive vs SSD levels of difference.

17. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I am very sensitive to FPS, movies judder to me i hate it. ewww 24.
    Either way i think the 4k 60Hz looks a million times better gaming than the 144hz 2k monitor. I just can't accept almost no less blur for way less clarity.
    As long as YOU are happy is the point here, buy what you think you will be happiest with and enjoy. :)

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

4k looks hardly any clearer then 2k especially on 27-32", of course on bigger.

Tests have been done and in heavy action, some couldnt tell difference between 2k and 4k (at 27" admittedly) but 60hz and 144hz is night and day.

But like you said, as long as your happy!

As for IPS vs VA, I love VA for its better contrast and color gamuts but I did notice a little overshoot on my last one. I went back to IPS as they are just so solid, and ELMB sync is a whole new ball game!

Screenshot_20191229-155841_YouTube.jpg

Dont think I can go back..

I have my super responsive 27" IPS for competitive gaming and my 55" VA FALD 4K HDR Samsung for other games I can play with controller. My son loves watching me play Gears of War 5 on it and it looks miles ahead of any IPS.

There is a reason no IPS TV's come close to the OLED's the only competitors who come close to OLED is VA+Quantum Dot.

Nethiuz likes this.
  19. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I use a 40" 4k and was thinking of the 43" 4k 120hz one on PCCG. I agree completely when it comes to 27" you'd be mad to go 4k what a waste.

ULMB (You'rs is ELMB for some reason) is awesome! My screen actually does it but i have to go off game mode into sports mode then turn it on, so i gain input lag. Also i notice a flicker /cry

walker_2003 likes this.
  20. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

yeah ELMB-Sync is an ASUS thing, the first manufacturer to do back light strobing + G/Free-Sync. A lot of people dont use ULMB as you then lose benefits of VRR (added stutter etc)

Nethiuz likes this.