1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

vacuum cleaner case mod (56k no!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Beavy, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Beavy

Beavy Member

I had a quick search and couldn't find any ideas or examples. Has this been done before? I am in need of a summer mod project, and have alot of shuttle modding stuff ready for a fresh 'case'. Some ideas include:

Using the retractable power cord as the pc power plug
    Using a fancy looking clear vacuum for a pre-windowed mod
    Keeping the dust filter as the intake
    Stealth mod? Or obvious but tastefull mod?
    Stand-alone server with 7" LCD to monitor the system, mounted in or behind a storage 'flap' (where the vacuum accessories are normally kept)
    'HTPC' with remote etc. but may look weird next to the TV

I don't want to hack up a working one, where would I purchase dead vacuums? :confused:

Any ideas or things I have not considered? Is this weird enough to be interesting, too weird and sounds lame, or 'done before' *yawn* material?

This will probably be using the components from my previous shuttle mod, being an XP-M, 6800GT etc. all water cooled, see my sig for details.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  2. taztassio

taztassio Member

This is very interesting. Would be cool if you attached speakers or something inside! I think, if you can find a suitable vacuum cleaner, go for it :D.

3. genesis[OFT]

genesis[OFT] (Banned or Deleted)

Sounds great. But, personally, i think it'd look butt ugly...unless you do a awesome job. Which I'm sure you could :)

4. feral2k

feral2k Member

I am sure you could get a dead vaccuum from godfreys, with all those trade in deals they do...

sounds like a great idea!

5. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Provide battery power too, then you could crank the tunes with your wireless, bluetooth compatible vacuum cleaner down at the beach... :leet:

6. slamaa

slamaa Member

meh, thats very wierd, but if you mod one of those cool clear tube vacuum cleaners that have those cylinders it could look cool if done right.

good luck if you go ahead.

7. tin

tin Member

Yeah, go talk to a godfreys guy. They'll probably think you're wierd, but hey... They are the one that chose to work woth vacuum cleaners all day :p

8. OP
    OP
    Beavy

Beavy Member

Godfreys sounds like a great idea, I'm sure there'll be a few wacky designs to inspire me. Hopefully I can make it solid enough to be treated like a vacuum too, just wheeled around to be used as a server/htpc where required, or chucked in the cupboard when not needed :thumbup:

(edit: Where are the "this idea sucks" comments? :rolleyes: )

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  9. ener

ener Member

this idea sucks... alot less then trying to mod a pc into a lunch box :p
    would be pretty funny, have the lights in it flash then leave it in the corner freak the shit outa people

10. taztassio

taztassio Member

it would be the best LAN PC around. Imagine, a clear, bagless, dual core!

11. doomz

doomz Member

LOL when I read that first thing that came to mind was using a vacuum cleaner to suck air through quickly for air cooling.

12. iAl3xi

iAl3xi (Banned or Deleted)

yeah same lol

13. kizza2153

kizza2153 Member

Hmmmm that is a very good idea. I could imagine it. It would be a very clean case.
    As for the dead/old vacuum go to one of those appliances dealers in auburn or maybe parramatta.

14. Glock

Glock Member

I do like the portability idea, but you'll have alot of fun getting even a shuttle board into a vacuum cleaner chassis. Try to find an older one that's bigger and squarer, should make for more space. However, if you can fit it, I think you'll need to reinforce it because, to my knowledge, a vacuum cleaner isn't an exoskeletal kinda design - the plastic shell is probably not very weight bearing. That said, PC innards ought to be somewhat lighter than a bigass vacuum motor.

If you're gonna do it though, your not going to be able to keep the actual vacuuming functionality, there just wouldn't be enough space. The cord retractor will also take up some room, but I'd personally strive to save that one. :)

15. OP
    OP
    Beavy

Beavy Member

A $3.20 tram ride and I'm now the owner of a dead 'electrolux 720'. The cord retraction system is stuffed but may be salvageable, but the plug had no earthing anyway so we'll see what happens. Godfreys had about twenty in the bin out the back which they were more than happy to get rid of :)

[​IMG]

The 'rear' looks perfect for plugging stuff in, though this would eliminate any possibility of using it 'upright':

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front looks perfect for a small LCD and dvd drive etc.

I may have to get a wider/fatter vacuum if the parts don't fit in this one (though it will be very close). An afternoon of stripping and destruction awaits!

16. atOmicShplade

atOmicShplade Member

I used to have that exact vacuum :p

Looking good

17. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

:thumbup:

Hehe, quite an unusual mod idea.

Should be cool, i look forward to seeing it.

18. slamaa

slamaa Member

this is cool beavy, i'll link it on the mod news post in the next couple of days...

19. MrSmith

MrSmith Member

The mod news page...?

20. browca04

browca04 (Banned or Deleted)

How'd you go with the destructions?

I like this mod.

It just screams individuality and originality. Kudos to you my friend... Kudos indeed.