1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Vacuum PC!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Meddish, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Meddish

Meddish Member

ok this was something i wanted to look @ a while ago when i came across a small vacuum shop that has some few old vacs that they where gonna give me for nothing

talk about ultimate air cooling....

so far im looking @ perspex case (to show all that dust buildup!)
    some heavy duty air filter @ the frount

so needed some help on what type of heat sinks that i need.... (dont think im useing a video card) so just CPU and PSU and HDD's any ideas??
    YES i know that 4-5 vacuumes going flat out would be SUPER NOISEY!!!! i know that... this is more a proof on concept (and because i can!!! :D )

[​IMG]

sketchup file if someone want to play with it... or have a better look
    http://www.users.on.net/med528/vacuume.skp

2. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

Don't vacuums create lots of static electricity?

3. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

This man is very smart. Vaccuums = static + computer parts = mysterious blue smoke = not very good.

4. minushuman

minushuman Member

I believe that's only vacuums with a metal extension thing, like your regular floor one. If you take that part off and just use it from the plastic nozzle it's fine.

The swirling air through the metal tubes is what causes the static charge buildup as far as I know.

5. Hairy_Harold

Hairy_Harold Member

the static is caused from turbulence.... Air rushing over pretty much anything can cause static electricity

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

7. timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

i dont think that guy is using a vacuum cooling just the vacuum cleaner for a box

8. kizza2153

kizza2153 Member

Are the Vacs going to be sucking or blowing? IF it's blowing how are you going to make a sucker into a blower?

9. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Most modern vacs go reverse too

(If he had them all sucking it would reduce the air density and make the heatsinks unable to effectively distribute heat into the air, if he had all blowing, he'd want a hole, or a vac on suction mode for exhaust :) )

10. OP
    OP
    Meddish

Meddish Member

vacs when the run the use the air they move around to cool themselfs.... so the air they push out is hot.... so they will be sucking....

static vacs impellers dont create static there is sometimes a build up but thats why a vac allways has a 3 pin power cord so this static can be sent back to earth...

the old vacs (as seen in one of the other threads here) only had a 2 pin connection... so they sometimes had some large static discharges.... (this was normaly overcome by the frount wheel being made out of metal to discharge this buildup!)

now if they are all sucking but with adacute air flow back into the case the air presure should be equalized or close to....

11. MrSmith

MrSmith Member

beavys not going to be happy.

12. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

They still create static electricity, even if you ground them. As air passes over the plastic/metal tube it creates static. Even the fittings etc will still generate it.

13. kr0nic

kr0nic Member

Im pretty sure we all gave good answers as to why this is a bad idea in your other thread, with to much air flow your gonna create a vacume effect and your passivly cooled devices will not cool enough

14. Glock

Glock Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree.
    All those vacuums will generate MUCH static, especially with the modern ones being mostly plastic construction (difficult to ground)
    And there comes a point where extra airflow is not anymore effective, and with that many vacuums, there's no way, even if you lived in a mansion, that you'd not hear it everywhere. You'd never want to turn the thing on... Hell, you could get noise pollution issues if you left it on more than a few hours a day.

15. OZeight

OZeight Member

Lol I just had an image of taking this setup to a LAN, imagine all the pissed off people as you take out your power vac PC hehe priceless :D

Not having a go at the OP though, it's a good idea, you'd really need to see how bad the static generation is and ofcourse how much of the noise you can mute. But kudos for thinking outside the box :thumbup:

16. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

well i guess you could have some metal mesh over the intakes/exhausts to help ground everything

17. OP
    OP
    Meddish

Meddish Member

ok im not useing a whole vacuum!!!! im only useing the impellers!! (the bit that actualy does the sucking.... and this is solid metal!!!)

as for the static statement again THIS IS HANDELED!!! vacs use a 3 pin power connetor back to the power point the 3rd is EARTH!!! this makes shure there is NO STATIC!!!!
    oh and just to make shure ......
    case will be acrillic... so that doesnt conduct elect... and the vacs will be mouted on a metal bracet that will also be grounded!

oh and anyone is a mythbusters fan... u remember that section they did on hovercrafts im thinking thats what to do with the exhaust then i can make my very own floating PC (put a chair on it and i can ride it to LANS :D )

18. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

haha have you heard of a leydan jar, that will be your PC case ;)

19. dephilile

dephilile Member

Just because the vacuum is grounded doesn’t mean it’s going to stop static. Your using a plastic (not metal) case. The case will insulate everything from each other.

imo you are not going to achieve anything except a computer that is very noisy (and for that fact unusable) with no additional cooling benefits that couldn’t be achieved with 4 120mm fans on the case OR a couple of 80mm fans placed directly on the heat sinks.

20. Beavy

Beavy Member

Actually, I see some sort of vacuum modding cold war happening, with a race to finish the mod by the end of january. Hopefully I will get off my ass and stop going to christmas parties so I can start modding :rolleyes:

OP, have you been to godfreys yet? They seem to throw all their trade-ins in a bin out the back, I'm sure you could pick up a few freebies to play with :thumbup: