1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Valheim

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by walker_2003, Feb 9, 2021.

1. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Yeh, nah I agree with ^catalyst

If anything, the starting phase is a grind but picks up quickly.

2. Tazor

Tazor Member

Fair enough - we're currently trying to get enough Bronze to suit up our whole group which is taking a while, but I think that was mainly down to locating water in the Black Forrest to mine Tin and getting enough cores.

But yeah, I think I spoke too soon as it feels like you can place at your own pace pretty easily.

3. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Our biggest gripe was finding a swamp biome to mine iron.

Due to RNG it ended up a decent (enough) chunk south from us on its own island. The videos I've watched on it seemed to show the swamp biome was on the same island as where you start.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Weather in this game is gorgeous - as are waves.

5. Ripley

Ripley Member

I got lucky. Passed close enough to have him marked.

[​IMG]

6. Tazor

Tazor Member

Nice - we're still searching in our world, we just found a seed online where he spawn like 1 km due south of the starting position lol

7. Munki

Munki Member

Ugh none of my friends have this. Is this game solo-able?

8. Tazor

Tazor Member

It is, but later bosses are extremely challenging
    But it's absolutely doable

Munki likes this.
  9. omen_child

omen_child Member

Are there any Australian online communities for this? I'm keen on giving it a shot, but it looks like it'd be more fun in a group and I don't think it's something my friends would get into.

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

then you have no friends.

or need new ones.

Same same.

11. Munki

Munki Member

Most of them are in early stages of their parenthood whilst I've got a few years ahead already, so they don't have the spare time for games. Which sucks for me, I guess. Might need to find some online friends.

NSanity likes this.
  12. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Bah, early parenthood is not an excuse... the amount of time I burned first in Minecraft then later in ARK with my two girls (who were babies/toddlers at each stage) with them either asleep on me or nearby, is slightly embarrassing :D I was being Mr. Mum though :p

I don't game much at the moment, but this looks like it may be worthwhile for the cost of 3 lunches.

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. Munki

Munki Member

I finally got around to playing this last night and wow I love it. I wish more wild boars and deer spawned though. It's a real pain collecting leather scraps.

14. sparz14

sparz14 Member

The graphics are so different to any other game i've played.... It's as if it's the "best worst graphics game". It's pixelated, but so damn pretty. Had my first go at fishing... my mate got 20 bites, i got nothing - so i have no idea hat happened there lol

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah it's a cool blend, realism where it counts and lo-fi aesthetic where it feels.

I haven't really found fishing to be worth tbh. I want a lot more out of fishing, different fish, deep sea fishing etc. etc.

16. ex4n

ex4n Member

Picked this up myself last week, already spent about 20+ hours and been enjoying it a lot. Running my own dedicated server for my group of friends, but have been having trouble getting everyone on at the same time to progress through bosses without leaving anyone behind.
    Considering joining or hosting a new server so I can progress guilt-free with a new character.

Loving the graphics too.
    [​IMG]

17. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Absolutely loving this game, my destiny clan has a server so I've been playing in there, I haven't done much apart from building, found myself a nice patch of land overlooking the ocean and put together a contemporary Scandinavian style home away from the traditional Viking village :lol:

The game feels so good for early access, there are some clunky quirks too it but the bones seem solid, looking forward to the future, the roadmap looks solid, especially cult of the wolf and ships and sea!

Tazor likes this.
  18. Ripley

Ripley Member

This is proving to be the one big downfall of the game with multi player servers. If you have some players who just want to build/explore/farm and others that progress ahead (think power levelers), then the builders/explorers/farmers end up getting mobbed by ever more dangerous enemies as the bosses are defeated. Even if you give them gear, they don't have the skill levels, which in turn decrease 5% with each death. It ramps up the entire world. It's a death spiral. There's no Subnautica style safe shallows here.

I'm sticking with solo. It's a fun and enjoyable game.

19. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

its not that bad i joined my mates about 2 weeks after they started playing and after 1 or 2 days i was roaming and killing bosses with them even thought they were worlds ahead of me in skills etc. It also encourages people to go and explore and level up i guess.

But the world feels pretty empty to me, im gonna pass on this until the next few updates, or until they have proper dedicated servers we can join and play with other randoms.

20. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Downed the first two bosses with the mighty campfire. :D

RamboKazoo likes this.