1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Valve Steam Deck Announced

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Trizae, Jul 16, 2021.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nintendo DS emulation says hi.

Vladdo likes this.
  2. power

power Member

oh ok, just every demo i've seen there's no one using touch.

bad assumption is bad.

3. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

People did the same with the switch touching doesn't demo well they've mentioned it in the interviews and spec sheets for those who want to know.

Also Valve seems to have updated the spec sheet/steam deck now running Quad channel LPDDR5 at 88GB/s memory bandwith! Was previously up as dual channel

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  4. i_trin

i_trin Member

For what it’s worth the switch touchscreen is superfluous. Never use it

5. power

power Member

for me on the switch i use it occasionally but when i want to it's nice to have. same for most touch screens like in the car, etc. sometimes it's just nice to touch a display element over navigating all the way there with a jog shuttle or stick/d-pad/whatever.

good to know this has one, i should have read the specs!

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Touch screen won't have any decent use in my opinion but installing an android emulator would be useful for it.

7. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. power

power Member

pretty sure the Steam Deck UI is built off Big Picture, so more an update than anything.

9. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

its a bit more than that... and will scale to higher resolutions and not still stuck in 1080p from the early 00s

10. elvis

More videos, talks, guestimations from two of my fave mobs.

Digital Foundry:

ETA Prime (thanks MUTMAN for the link):

Both are doing kind of what I'm doing for retro stuff here in this thread, where we take similar-ish hardware, throw some stuff at it and guess. But DF's video explains why that's all nonsense when we don't know much about power throttling and the like, especially with that 20W cap Valve are imposing. Still fun to try and guess, though. :)

DF's Rich Leadbetter is assuming something along the lines of PS4/XBoxOne (first gen of both) era performance at 720p targets. Maybe a bit more thanks to the memory bandwidth, but at the same time that power cap is the big hurdle. This certainly isn't "PCMR 4K@144FPS" territory, but really does feel a whole lot more like Valve are really going after the Switch/Vita markets with a more polished version of Steam, and perhaps even removing a lot of the need to tinker, supplying pre-baked settings to make it all feel more consoley. As someone who has long been pissed off with PC desktop gaming and the endless bullshit and fiddling required (was fun when I was in high school and uni, got real boring when I had work and kids and few hours in the day to muck around with stuff that wasn't actually playing games), I'm definitely keen for this whole overall experience, rather than just talking about the hardware in isolation.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    frnak and ashenIC like this.
  11. elvis

Thomas Crider, aka GloriousEggRoll is a Linux engineer and developer working for RedHat, and contributor to WINE and Proton.

He's done a FANTASTIC dive into how WINE, Proton, SteamPlay and DXVK work, and put it into a video. If you're wondering how it all happens behind the scenes, definitely give this a watch.

What's more interesting than that is that he's also part of the team that got AMD FSR working on Linux FOR ALL GAMES. Let that sink in - there's no software or hardware vendor here telling you what you can and can't enable. You can override anything you want in Linux and force FSR on all games that run under DXVK (DX9/10/11), VKD3D (DX 12), or Vulkan RIGHT NOW, as long as you have an AMD GPU and the open source drivers under Linux.

Here's a handful of titles GloriousEggRoll has tested. All playing at 4K with forced FSR on a Linux desktop. Note that this is on powerful desktop hardware, so it doesn't mean the Steam Deck will be able to do the same (remembering it will support docked mode, but we don't know at what resolutions yet). But for everyone on the fence about how well Linux can run "Windows-only" games, this should hopefully show you how far things have come in the last couple of years.

Specific to Steam Deck, this should alleviate a lot of concerns over whether it not it's capable of running Steam's incredible collection of 50,000+ games.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Trizae likes this.
  12. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

GE's contributions to Proton are amazing, easy to apply as well, just drag and drop from memory.

Checking out this thread reminds me that i really need to get back into PC Linux gaming...

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

For me it's lack of support for my fanatec wheel through proton that stops me from going to Linux
    Specifically F1 2020, with Fanatec CSW 2.0 (soon to be CSL DD)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  14. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

15. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Official Valve Video released