1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Vanne's Compaq Deskpro EN SFF worklog

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

I backed up this from the other thread, as it belongs in here...

Picked up something today...

Compaq Deskpro EN SFF ...

deskpro.jpg

I had one of these back in the 1999's, while going through a writers period. (yeah, used to write small fantasy novels in my spare time lol) , but my version was on a lowly specced P2 300 mmx . The reason i absolutely loved this piece of shit was that it was WISPER QUIET! Which i absolutely loved for my writing purposes. I am not sure where the original one i had went to, but i did have the intuition to pull the hard drive. (which i still have, and even funnier, i brought it with me to DXB a year or so ago), the Hard drive has Beos R5.03 pro on it (with Boneyard installed from memory, but its a long time ago, so i could be completely wrong here) and has Gobe productive installed, which i used to use for my writing purposes. Anyways, i pulled the hard drive as (not sure if the box died or it just got given away), but as i didnt have any backups of my short stories, i just pulled the drive.

This unit i picked up today (in the US) has a P3 500 cpu in it, so that will kick it all over the other one i had, and i am hoping i can just plug and play my old drive in there for it to boot up. 192MB of ram is shit, but ill sort that out somewhere along the line. Payed 60US for this puppy, and its in working order. I just hope the PSU has one of them slidy thiny's on it, to swap it to 240v from US spec.

deskpro2.jpg
    yay , it has the SLidy thing! :)

and the bios screen

dekpro.jpg

It has a few graphics options, none of which i really like to be honest..

One of the following:
    • Matrox Millennium G400-SD AGP Graphics Controller with 16-MB SDRAM standard, not upgradeable, providing maximum resolution of 2048 x 1536 x 16.7M colors at 65 Hz.
    • Integrated Intel 3D Graphics featuring Intel Dynamic Video Memory (DVM) technology with 8-MB video memory equivalent performance, providing maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024 with 16.7M colors 85 Hz.
    • Embedded ATI RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X 64-bit Graphics Controller with 4-MB SGRAM upgradeable to 8 MB, providing maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024 x 16.7M colors at 85 Hz.

hopefully has 3 empty pci slots.. (note: edit, after looking a bit more carefully at the pictures of the unit, it actually has this card cage in it. :(

IMG_20200601_083001.jpg

View attachment 19766 (this is the card cage that my old one had)

which will go with PCI version of 3dFX voodoo 3. (note: edit. these cards are stupid expensive, ill try and source something else in pci format. pref with dvi connection.
    or some other card,

and AWE32 , and possibly a BT848.

its able to run these, and a lot more lol, this is straight from the compaq website.

Systems One of the following:
    • Windows NT 4.0
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 95
    Ill just add for shits and giggles, BeOS , and a bunch of flavours of Linux/unix.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    karnophage, adz and Pierre32 like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

My grandfather had something very similar to this. I remember in order to get into the BIOS, you needed a special boot floppy. I remember thinking at the time how much of a pain in the arse that would be for anyone in the future.

I have a funny feeling it was original Pentium era though. The case didn't look as sleek as the one you have there.

Vanne likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol haha that makes it sound super old.. lol.
    Sadly jumped the gun again like an idiot, buying crap before I even have the box in hand.
    It’s a shame it only has 2 slots, which will be taken up by the sound card and the vid card. So sadly no room for the tv card.. that’s a real shame as BeOS has an anwesome TV app , improved by StampTV And has excellent input for composite and s-video input with little or no lag. (That was 20 years ago lol)

gonna wait till my mate in the states send all my stuff before buying extra stuff..

4. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Good score. I had one in the exact spec up until a couple of years ago, ran Win2k like a champ. I never bothered to look into upgrading anything on it as it was just a web surfer that I left connected at a friend's house (we are going back 15 odd years here, before smart phones and when ADSL was king).

5. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Just bought a CPU upgrade for it.
    Coppermine slot 1 733mhz 133fsb 256l2.

I just kinda hope that it will work. The current CPU in it is a slot 1 Katmai cpu 500mhz 100fsb part..

The website says this unit /is/ available with the above mentioned 733mhz CPU, but I am not sure...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00418369

Quote...

Product features
    Feature
    Description
    Processor
    • Intel Pentium III processor (133 MHz) 733-, 667-, 600E- or 533E- MHz.
    • Intel Pentium III processor (100 MHz) 500, 550, 600, 650 or 700 MHz.
    • Intel Celeron processors (66 MHz) 466 or 500 MHz.
    Chipset
    Intel 82810 (66MHz), 810e, 815e, 82443BX, or 820 (133MHz) chipset.
    Chassis
    Small Form Factor
    Cache
    • 512 KB ECC L2
    • 128 KB ECC L2
    Memory
    Support for up to 512 MB of SDRAM DIMM memory.
    Network
    Embedded Intel PRO/100+

I hope that's gonna work as the CPU that's in there now is a 100mhz fsb. I hope there is a jumper to set FSB..??

adz and Pierre32 like this.
  6. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

:D

7. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Any idea which chipset you have? My 815 chipset motherboard supports a 133MHz Tualatin core without issue, so the 820 will definitely support it also.

Vanne likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol absolutely fuck all! ;)
    No Idea, just hope it supports the coppermine.
    Just bought 512mb ram kit. Pc100/133 20 US green backs.

9. adz

adz Member

A quick look indicates it may be a 440BX chipset, any chance you can take a photo of the northbridge chip?

Vanne likes this.
  10. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Probably not, unnecessary for >= Pentium II

Vanne likes this.
  11. bYrd

bYrd Member

Nice unit for retro use - I used to have several of these, they were used a lot in Melbourne hospitals and I snagged some for $5 in a silent work auction. All were BX chipset with ATI Rage onboard; I recall using a slotket in one and bumping it up to a Celeron 900 (9 x 100) which was a decent boost over the Pentium II CPU installed.

JB

Vanne likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

I'd love to, the box is still enroute to my place in the Arabian desert. :/

13. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

So how would it switch between 100mhz fsb and 133mhz fsb?

14. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Automatically - equivalent of FSB jumper was built into Pentium II processor and successors

Vanne likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Ahh.. perfect :thumbup: thank you :D

16. adz

adz Member

That might be a slight problem :p

17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thing should be enroute pretty soon. My mate in LA has his warehouse locked down atm.

18. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

so i dug up the ol Maxtor drive that was in my original..

IMG_20200613_133144.jpg

specs:

Hard Disk Model

MAXTOR 90432D2

Disk Family

DiamondMax 4320

Form Factor

3.5"

Capacity

4320 MB (4320 x 1 000 000 bytes)

Number Of Disks

Number Of Heads

Rotational Speed

5400 RPM

As you can see, its a pretty shit drive spec wise.. might need to up that puppy a bit...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  19. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Get yourself an IDE to SATA converter, take an image of the 4.3GB drive and get a "low capacity" SATA SSD to put the image back onto. Should speed things up quite a bit, even though in these older systems the drives were not the same level of bottleneck as they are in today's systems. I plan on doing this with both my older systems, purely because both the primary drives in my two are loud and crunchy, and the one in my P3 system has the occasional seek error click.

Zubrick likes this.
  20. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

The place I worked at ~15 years ago had ~2000 Compaq PCs (slowly being replaced with HP Compaqs) and they all had those Maxtor drives in them, seemed like we were replacing at least one every week. I wouldn't trust them at all.

okclock123 and dacow like this.