1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Vanne's Compaq Deskpro EN SFF worklog

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jun 1, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

no worries, ive got a ide2sata board and an Evo850 250gb that will occupy this box. Thanks DK I wonder if that old drive will still spin up after being dormant for 15 years...:)

baronbaldric likes this.
  2. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Like pfrcom said it may be unnecessary as according to this article by Compaq the setting is automatic for the cpu, but like you I am not sure if the compaq fsb on your early model en can go faster than 100
    file:///I:/Databackup%20from%20I/aaFdrive/compaq/compaq%20speed%20settings.asp.html

One other thing is that there is not much clearance between the slot cpu and the floppy disk cage. If the slot cpu has a passive cooler then thats ok but if it has cooler with a fan then it may not fit under the cage. I have had this problem and had to replace the fan with a thinner one. There is no fan header on my mobo.

The tip before about using a ssd is a great idea. In my Compaq I have replaced the old 3.5HDD with a 2.5 IDE laptop drive that is quieter and draws less power from the Compaqs small psu. But the ssd would be heaps better.

I look forward to seeing how your project turns out.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    baronbaldric likes this.
  3. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

There are ways to macgyver a cooler onto a passively cooled slot pentium. Hot glue to hold it in place, cardboard if needs spacing, power via molex. Just thinking out loud. I have a slot cpu “upgraded” like this by someone. I think you can also sidemount a cooler if spacing is an issue.

Attached Files:

Zubrick likes this.
  4. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Back in the day I used wooden wedges to hold a fan in place over a passive cooled CPU. Skinny end wedged into the fins, fat ends against the sides of the fan, worked really well.

Zubrick and baronbaldric like this.
  5. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Ok
    Here's my macguyver efforts
    First the slot 1 cpu with a graphics card cooler held on with thermal past and cable ties. Dont laugh , its been working OK for 15+ years

slot 1.jpg

Next the 31/2 hdd has been replaced with a 2.5 ide laptop drive. Then the laptop drive is connected via a converter card to the 3.5 ide cable. Then in a hope to improve airflow the ide cable has been cut into strips and held together with cable ties .
    Apart from that its stock standard. :)

ide cable.jpg

The power cable are a messs as I pulled them back to take the photo.
    Well thats my gallery of shame.

One strange thing about the Compaq EN is that there isnt a twist in the floppy cable but the floppy drive still shows as drive A:. Compaq must have done something in the floppy controller.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Vanne and baronbaldric like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm this has taken a turn for the worse.. error code "304 keyboard or system board error"

cant use the ps/2 keyboard at all, does absolutely nothing.. pretty much exactly this...

edit: this isnt my video, but my EN is exactly the same. :( pretty sad, ive completely stripped the board and restarted it just using the PSU. riser card and cpu, still nothing.. sigh.

code 301 and 304 remain. sigh..
    Maybe the board got damaged during its flight from LAX.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  7. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Tried a USB keyboard? Never know...

Edit: Also, plug a PS2 mouse into the keyboard port - it might be enough to 'detect' a device is there, even though its the wrong device. Remove the CMOS battery completely and see if it will boot without it, and see if it will boot with the BIOS reset jumper set to active.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  8. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

9. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Vanne sorry to hear of this problem. After waiting so long such a dissapointment.

I assume you have tried clearing the bios, replacking the battery etc. This fixed a few problems on my Compaq en. But in the end I had to add in a2XAA batteries to get the bios to hold its settings.

Anyway did you read in the comments under the video where the OP says
    adminos15
    4 years ago
    Hi man, i uploaded this video a very long time ago. It is Amazing! because exactly today i started again looking up for a solution for this computer, what is the chance??? ;D Just amazing... And 1 hour ago i tested the ps2 keyboard on good computer, and guess what... not working, and when i moved slightly the cable, Boom! damn worked.

So wiggle the keyboard cable or try a new keyboard.
    Worth a shot.

10. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

OK just tried my EN with or without keyboard
    no keyboard - 304 keyboard or system unit error
    no mouse - boots but win98 error.
    mouse in keboard connector- 301 keyboard error

SO with the mouse in the keyboard connector it returns a different error message
    304 keyboard or system error vs 301 keyboard error.

So if you attach the mouse to the keyboard port and get the original 304 error then probably the mobo fault but if your get the 301 error then probably just the keyboard.

Heres hoping you get a 301 keyboard error. Replacing the keyboard is no problem.

Vanne likes this.
  11. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

That's a kick in the balls! :( Hope you can get it sorted somehow.

Vanne likes this.
  12. Reaper

Reaper Member

When adding fans to heatsinks I'd just bend the fins together and screw the fans on. That's how the majority of fans were attached to heatsinks from factory anyway, usually on video cards and chipset coolers. Lots of Pentium (socket5/7) and later 486's had that too on 3rd party coolers.

Vanne likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeah very dissapointed.. to say the least.

thanks for the info/steps of what to try next.

its def not the keyboard, ive got 3 PS/2 keyboards, all result in the same error. ive put the PS/2 mouse in there too, nada, there is no power going to the port at all. (mouse light doesnt even light up, but does for a split second after boot up, but then goes off, kinda like the 3 lights on the keyboard..

tried USB keyboard.. nil responce..

Ill see if i wiggle the port.. i havent tried that yet..

The battery is obviously empty, and same result when i boot without the batt in place.
    I havent replaced the batt, as id have to order it in as its a non normal bios one.

looked at the mobo in oz, for the 50 bucks i might go that way..

The other thing i forgot to mention, either in my suitcase, or in the shipping box, the unit must have copped a hit as the front face place is broken up near the floppy drive.. pretty sad about that. might just put in a bit for another unit.. UGGG. *sigh*.. what a shit-fight...

if i cant get it going, Mis, youll be welcome to the floppy mate, the cpu retention is also, like yours cracked..

14. adz

adz Member

You'd be amazed what kind of surprises a dead BIOS battery can yield, especially if it's one of those god awful Dallas RTC turds.

Vanne likes this.
  15. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

The battery is a CR2430
    I have macgyvered up workaround using a AA battery holder holding 2XAA batteries so giving 3v output. I then removed the cmos battery shorting shunt at E50 and connected the AA batteries to it. I left the flat cmos battery in place. I have the + as the middle pin. I am not sure if this is correct or will harm the mobo but it has been working for me. Warning Warning Anyone following my electrical instructions is taking a risk.

Mine is like this one, its not cheap at $1.45 ....but its only money.
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-x-aa-side-by-side-battery-holder/p/PH9202

I had an old fan connecter with wires with a connector that fitted the shorting pins. So I spliced the connectors wires to the battery holder.
    Remember to stick the battery holder to the case with double sided tape so it looks professional ;)

I have been going to replace it for a long time but it keeps working.
    If you want I can post a photo.
    Also my faceplate had taken a hit and had broken off a piece in the bottom right corner. I glued it with Sellys All Plasticfix. It did a great job.

16. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Possible long shot - some motherboards have fuses for PS/2 ports, to minimize damage caused by someone unplugging peripherals which are not hot-pluggable

Although later model boards used self-resetting fuses

Look on the motherboard for tiny (probably) cylindrical things near the PS/2 ports, possibly having designation Fn beside each

If you find any, try a continuity test with a multimeter

baronbaldric and Vanne like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

I'll take a look see..

18. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

YAY!!!!. yay!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Finally..

Both ps/2 mouse and keyboard ports are shot. Tried with about 5 different keyboards/mouse's...

Replaced the batt with a normal 3v mobo one..

IMG_20200624_124215.jpg
    Bit of a hack mod, but works perfectly. Another use for the clip part of a pen. Lol

IMG_20200624_125052.jpg

Haven't tried anything more yet, but think it's go-er now with usb usb keyboard/mouse.. funny.. apple usb keyboards didn't work, but Alienware one does?? Wtf??
    lol yeah the only thing with VGA in is my cab...lol

IMG_20200624_124208.jpg

Pretty stoked... Thanks for the ideas guys and thanks for the idea for rigging up the hacked batt.lol

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    millen, Pierre32, Mistikal and 3 others like this.
  19. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Woooo Hoooo

20. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Excellent work, there is life left in it yet!