Vanne's Compaq Deskpro EN SFF worklog

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jun 1, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thx Mis, hey did you have to change any settings to get video out working on the pci card?
    I’ve got a pci 7500 , but doesn’t even post when the card is in there, complete blank screen. And like yours the bios clear jumper was in the incorrect position too.

2. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Are you asking Mistikal or me?
    Im the one with the Compaq en who mentioned the jumper settings, battery etc before.
    Anyway I am using the onboard video.
    You may try going to Bios->Advanced_>PCI Devices and disable the onboard Ati video.
    There may be an IRQ conflict that is stopping your video card from working so disabling the onboard video is worth a try.

Actually could do for a favour me and let me know the brand/model of your Floppy Disk Drive. Thats if it has a label.
    As you know have been lookig for a replacement and I think either a Sony or a Mitsumi seem to fit best.
    I dont have the original FDD so it would be helpful if you can find a brand/model on yours
    Thanks

Vanne likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

9DE69C00-DE89-467A-B273-AD9A7DA96716.jpeg F952AB79-D0E2-4B1E-8F90-D14DF7A61DC5.jpeg 62888683-38D9-4130-85AC-24BE2DF84ADF.jpeg BD4F4797-30B9-4899-A66A-F44BAD096555.jpeg Sozz.. Zub, looks like I’ve mixed you two up. Apologies.. yeah. No worries, I’ll go have a looks see for any marks on the floppy drive.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    baronbaldric likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

5. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Hey Vanne
    Thanks for going to so much effort in posting those photos for me.
    It appears that Compaq used Citizen to make their FDD. I was surprised to find I had 15 FDD from 7 different makers, none of which were Citizen. I did find a Mitsumi that fitted with a minimum of adjustment. The Mitsumi did have a silver face but I was able to remove the face and then replace the flap with a beige one so not too bad at all.
    Anyway its all up and running now amd im reasonably happy with the result.
    Thanks
    Hope your project is progressing too.

Vanne and baronbaldric like this.
  6. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Reading the article at this link it seems that the Compaq EN doesnt like ATI cards, but geforce cards are ok.

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-video-card-not-working-in-compaq-deskpro-en.99714/
    ""Yup, that did it.
    I swapped out the ATI card with an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 and it worked like a charm.
    I didn't even have to mess with the BIOS to disable the on-board VGA port.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this issue!

And a lesson for you kids out there: go with NVidia if you have a Compaq Deskpro.""

adz, Vanne and baronbaldric like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Zubrick,

Thx mate, was bidding on a 9250 to solve the issue, luckily you saved me from that, purchased an bfg nvidia 6200 256mb card. Fingers crossed. Prob will take a few weeks to get here. It's coming from the canook side of the planet.

Thanks, I did read that somewhere else that ATI didn't play nice, but I guess that's hopefully sorted..

I wish the rage3d had DVI , I would have stuck with that, but as I do t really have any VGA capable monitors, it will have to be DVI.

8. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm my old TV has VGA in apperently..lol never knew that..

BeOS boots, but the drive has issues. IMG_20200630_165728.jpg Twice grinded to a halt.. not sure how many start ups it still has in it, and I still need to recover my documents...

karnophage, Pierre32 and adz like this.
  9. Azure-Drued

Azure-Drued Member

even with the fan upsidedown? (edit: and needing a clean)

10. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Yep it sure does need a clean in that photo.
    That cpu with the fan/heatsink unit attached used to run 24/7 in an old Smoothwall server. Hence the dust.
    The Compaq had then sat for several years till Vanne reminded me I had it.

Not sure if the fan/heatsink unit is upside down as that the way it was when the unit was removed from a AGP video card and attached to the slot cpu
    The fan could be upside down but the name is on the outside the same way as when the combo was removed from the vid card which makes me think its the way it was originally. I dont think they would have put the name to the inside.
    Anyway its working and I dont think I will tempt fate by reversing it but thnaks anyway.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Azure-Drued likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Bought a 22inch VGA input Acer monitor, just so I can keep using the AGP VGA thats built into this Deskpro, I've also bought an extra 8meg video ram chip making the total 16mb.

Might look for a voodoo2 pass through.

The upgrade slot 733mhz 100 fsb CPU also turned up, but I have little hope that it will work with this mobo. (66mhz fsb)

Either way, the p3 500 should be a good enough upgrade from the old P2 400 celly MMX that was in my original one.

I'll need to source a nice usb keyboard and mouse for DOS warrior-ing.

Edit: last night i spent a few hours fixing things up, i wasnt sure how many more boots that original 4GB Maxtor had in it, so I used "Installer" a BeOS app for carbon installing the OS onto another drive and aside from 2 files, i was able to completely rescue/install a carbon install onto a 64GB ssd drive. So all my novel files were saved.. yay!!

It even saved my SNES and GBA emulator files, and my ripped cd of Britney Spears. Hahahaha.. Laughed at that.. then played it... lol...

Ide-sata convertor. worked perfect..

even saved all the emails that were in my inbox from 20 years ago.. lol

I must say though that i was now even more impressed with the BeOS original boot time, the SSD hasn't made it much quicker, though now whisper quiet.

I also spent a few minutes trying to fit in the 733 pentium, but the heatsink is a little different, so wont fully slot in. which means ill need to swap the heat sinks if i wanna try it out.

ALso having issues with the nic, and onboard sound, but ill be able to sort that.

Really enjoying messing around with this...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    MUTMAN, Zubrick and adz like this.
  12. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

lol thanks Zub, but i think one is enough. Mine also has a CD/DVD recorder.. possibly, also possibly just a cd reader lol. havent looked at it that close, i did not that however the cd ide socket isnt just an IDE stock cable. its a lot longer and skinnier.

ill see if i can swap heatsinks on the slot 1 chips next, or maybe ill grind down the heatsink.. will see lol..

14. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

So last night i messed around with it a bit, installed some new drivers and then i hit a brick wall....

*sigh*

All the browsers that are available (including my old favourite, Net+) dont have CSS support, and the others that do have a CSS implementation, is horendously out of date...

I had no idea that the internet had changed so much.

only about 1 out of 10 sites load, due to no CSS and or other issues... That really sucks..

This led me to an isue of how to download drivers... I cant access Bebits.. well its no longer called Bebits, but luckily that website has been cloned and is now available as Be-Bytes..

https://www.be.wildman-productions.org/

but still i cant access that while in R5.03.. very anoying. So i had to download drivers on another computer and then somehow get the files across to use in BeOS.. shit!!!

Well i have a floppy drive, but no floppies... that sucks.. okay, what next? USB sticks... hmm, no USB stack in R5.03, so thats out, (although there are drivers for that now, great!) and that includes no access to USB hard drives... bloody hell..

I ended up reparting the 64gig SSD sata drive to run 60 gigs for BeOS and 4 gig as a Dos drive. Re-installed BeOS over the top, so now i have access to a 4 gig dos drive that i can plug into a USB stack, drag files across on another computer and then re-install the hard drive in my BeOS box.. yeah.. didn't see that coming either...

using an old FM801 Forte Media card now as sound, as i cant get the onboard sound to work Ess apparently.

So there are a few issues, i am not sure how to sort of the CSS issue, thats gonna make it real hard.

Ill keep hacking at it for a bit.

Still not sure about where i am going with Video card. in error above i stated that the onboard Rage was 8meg, it isnt, its 4 Meg, expandable to a max of 8meg.. Thats pretty crap, even expanded...

The cover that came on my En SFF, was pretty badly cracked and broken, not sure if that happened in the suitcase or if that happened enroute to my mates joint in the US, eitherway, it was pretty dismal..

fixed that up last night with some resin and its now strong as new. the face plate could do with a touch up though, might give it a light sand where i fixed it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    rugger and Zubrick like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

just won a 12mb voodoo2 passthrough card. 60 bucks, but ill need the pass through cable, unless thats just a vga to vga cable? or does it have magic stuff inside?

Have been thinking on OS's for this box..

Def Dos.. 6.22
    Def BeOS
    but not sure about 98se or Me.

And.. *drumroll*... just scored myself a 3dfx Voodoo 2, 12MB passt hrough card.

3dfx.jpg

Its the card alone, no pass through cable.. so ill probably need to sort one of those.. The brand of the card apparently is Hercules. Its being posted to Aus, so not exactly sure when ill see it.

back.jpg

Looks a bit rough on the back, hopefully still works.
    i guess you get what you pay for, this including post was 65US

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    adz, Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice! Good luck cleaning it up and hopefully it works.

AFAIK there is no magic in the passthrough cable; it's just a straight VGA connection.

Vanne likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Piere, any idea how to set this up mate? What drivers does the Voodoo2 need?

Is there going to be an issue with textures that the main memory of the vid card is only 8meg? and the card being 12 meg?

(thats if the card works lol)

When i had my previous 3dfx system, it was easy, one card, Voodoo3 3000 agp.. just install drivers and go. no messing around.

this looks like its going to be different?

18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

There will definitely be a hundred or so people on OCAU that know more than me! I can't answer the textures question. My experience is with a Voodoo1 in DOS, which 'just works' without drivers to pass through the 2D card's VGA signal. Drivers are then provided game by game, usually with a 'glide.ovl' file in the game folder. Voodoo2 will have its own general driver packages for Win9x, but I wouldn't know where to start finding the right one:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-voodoo-2.html
    http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=12&menustate=2,1

Vanne likes this.
  19. rugger

rugger Member

No, how it works is that you install the drivers for the voodoo 2, then when you start software, you can tell it to use the External 3d Accelerator, or the Voodoo 2 Accelerator by name. When you do this, the textures and other information for the game are sent directly to the voodoo 2 card. The main video card is no longer involved. It basically idles with it's current desktop display, the voodoo 2 turns on a relay to stop VGA passthrough and your game runs completely on the Voodoo 2.

If you don't have a passthrough cable, you can simply just plug the VGA monitor into the 3dfx card when you start a 3d game. It's inconvenient, but will work until you get the cable you need.

Vanne, Pierre32 and adz like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks Rugger and Pierre, appreciate it guys. ill have a sniff around the Vogons site.