Vanne's Compaq Deskpro EN SFF worklog

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jun 1, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Sweet! Voodoo 2 card number 2 in the bag. Also a 12MB one, but this one is a Maxi Gamer board. Hopefully, this one works too and will play nicely together with the other one. Just need a Sli cable and the passthrough.

adz likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Voodoo2 12mb card showed up today, looks pretty good. Ill need to install it to see if it works. might clean it up first.

JaC, rugger and MUTMAN like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D2

[​IMG]
    (Card as it came out of the FedEx box.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (And the back side)

And the box that it came in when new. Yep, it's a French card.
    IMG_20200804_214332.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    millen, JaC, Zubrick and 1 other person like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Pretty sure card is dead. Installs fine and is detected fine in its PCI slot, but whenever I try to play a 3dfx game, it can't find the card and defaults back to software render. It also complain about expecting some .DLL and finding none. The voodoo tab in display properties hangs when you click on it.

:(

Pretty sad , prob the only thing I haven't tried is baking the card...???

5. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Try changing the card to the other PCI slot.
    Why I say this is that i read a bios update that corrected a problem "" with PCI cards not functioning correctly in the top slot (slot 2) ""
    Not sure which slot is slot 2 but changing slots is worth a shot just in case its in the "bad" slot and much better than taking a risk upgrading the bios.
    Also see if there are updates for Maxi Gamer software that have that missing DLL or perhaps you can search for that DLL on the net.

I just threw caution to the wind and upgraded my bios to what appears to be the latest bios for my model . Its a bit nerve racking as the floppy emits strange noises as it backsup the old bios and installs the new one. However I didnt notice any great changes except the option to change the agp aperture.

NB these Bios updates were the right ones for my Bios version and may be the wrong ones for your BIOS version. As you would know upgrading the bios is risky so double check your bios version first if you do this. And as i said I didnt find a great benefit. I think the latest bios contains all prior updates but I am not certain.

As a last resort try entering your commands in French to the French card.:)

6. adz

adz Member

I'd be hesitant to blame a missing DLL on a hardware fault, have you tried any other drivers?

Zubrick likes this.
  7. JaC

JaC Member

Definitely double check the OS and driver install. Have you got the second card there yet to test with?

I wouldn't bake a voodoo 2 - there are no BGAs. All the component terminals are accessible with an iron if you exhaust all other avenues and really want to reflow the joints.

8. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Tried a shit load and even tried in 98, 98se and me.. Ref drivers, and a few others too, even downloaded and burned an image of the disc that came with the card when it would have been original.

Pretty sad about it. The 8 Meg card is giving me a huge headache in France, apparently really difficult to use FedEx there, but then frenchies are really difficult in anything, just checkout the A380, what a difficult piece of sheit. ;)

9. adz

adz Member

They said I wasn't allowed to fly it :o

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. adz

adz Member

In all seriousness, that's a odd issue to encounter, might I 2nd trying a different PCI slot as suggested above? I have no idea why, but even Germany won't ship to Australia at the moment.

11. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

I'll take a shot of the actual error, it seems other have had the same issue. It's possible that the voodoo card doesn't like my old pc, but it ain't looking that good. Only other system I have with PCI slots is a core 2 duo. E8400 thing..

12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

OKAY!!!! development!!

IMG_20200807_204301.jpg
    (This is the error that comes up whenever the voodoo card is supposed to take over.)

**** CARD IS WORKING *****. kinda...

I swapped pci slots, (which i already tried before, but thought what the heck!) still nada.

Then i tried to force pressure on the PCI slot... still fuck all..

Then i though.. last attempt, ill remove the card, take it down stairs and inspect it... but properly... id normally use a magnifying glass for this but couldent find it.. so mobile phone to the rescue... spent the next 40 inutes checking EVERYTHING... and then the last chip i look at.. I know a dog named ..BINGO!!!

pics here:

IMG_20200807_210448.jpg

IMG_20200807_210445.jpg

IMG_20200807_210520.jpg

So i got a sewing pin and its so finiky, wish i had something smaller.. and anyways.. the pin slipped and the leg went off the track. EEK!!!

FARK!!!!!!!
    IMG_20200807_211023.jpg

pics here..

Was able to force the leg back on the track, but not sure how good contact its making if its even making contact.. actually...no freaking idea if its making contact, but id say it does as the card now works... again.. kinda..

SO after i carefully forced it back on the track, in my mind, once the leg breaks, its game over and the card can go in the trash.. luckily the leg didnt snap off. but i am not sure how many more moves it has left in it...

so upstaits, slot the card back in, and boot up Hexen... monitor goes black...

wth? i can hear sound its still running.. so pull the vga cord from the PC and plug it into the voodoo2.. PICTURE!!!

IMG_20200807_212737.jpg

Holy shit, the card works!!

(or so i thought)

anyhows, pretty stoked!!! working... ... or is it...

IMG_20200807_212503.jpg
    then i move around a bit in Hexen and *bloody hell* there is pixel corruption all over the shop, game runs well and i test a few other things.. but the pixel corruption is def an issue.

but at least we had some headway... thats a positive.
    IMG_20200807_212741.jpg
    If anyone has any idea about the graphics corruption, please share..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  13. JaC

JaC Member

Good find. I'd say your drama is probably that pin is not actually making contact with the pad.

Can you take a close up of how it is now?

14. adz

adz Member

Ahh, that error makes more sense, it's not a missing DLL, it's a missing Voodoo card. Funny thing is, my old Voodoo II 12MB had the same kind of graphics corruption from a sruface resistor with a flakey connection. Get that leg soldered back onto the board properly and I reckon you'll have yourself a working card.

15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

hmm, i had a go at that last night myself.. no dice.. used my soldering iron to just put heat into the join, i dont dare put on any solder as i am sure ill probably solder 3 legs together.. its tiny...

also weird is that after that, i ran GLhexen again, and had the same result, pixel corruption, quit out of it, and had the error .dll pop up again.. *sigh* (so couldent run it again).. freaking gremlins..

OIP (1).jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

There must be plenty of electronics gurus out there who could fix that in a snap. If you find one, ask if they also want to replace some resistors on a Voodoo 1 :leet:

17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

theres a bloke who lives next door to me who used to work on sims, ill ask him.. either that or just see what happens if i bodge it myself.. flux probably the name of the game with this stuff..

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

and a quick dab of heat would have it soldered back on
    good luck :)

19. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

ill have a go at that id recon... when the kids are in bed..

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

howd you go ?

Vanne likes this.