Vanne's Compaq Deskpro EN SFF worklog

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jun 1, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm. Didn't get around to it,after watching the mandatory kids live dance act, I was pretty nuked. Missus put on farmer wants a wife and that was it.. :/ I'll give it a go tonight .

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm.. that did not go well.. snapped off the leg. :( but still the same result , sometimes boots and sometimes doesnt boot into hexen, when i doesnt boot, comes up with that dll error..

more investigation required...

i can probably solder something onto that leg, but would be a bit of effort.. and i am not convinced that the leg is the issue, i might have been initially while it was shorting out the other leg, but seems like it hasnt changed since the leg no longer connects...

on the up side, my 8 meg card arrived today....

Funny, just played Hexen again for a bit.. works fine (still graphics issues), i wonder how this card will go in SLi with the 8meg one if the 8meg one works properly... very intresting.. maybe this card will just have to do heavy lifting in the background. kinda hoping its an issue with the dac, and can still be used for compute part of sli render..

i guess we will see ...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

ouch :(

4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

update...

Recieved the 8 meg card yesterday.. Its a creative voodoo2 .. and sadly... also non working, though packed rather well and included a pass through cable..

Non working.. plugged it in, recognined by drivers AND does have the V2 control panel under Display. (fastvoodoo drivers)

but anything using the 3dfx glide driver just has blank black screen..

So pull out the card and have a close look.. fuck me dead!!! same chip, but this time a different side has 5 or so contacts squashed together.. ill take a pic later.. Thought, oh fuck no, here we go again.. got out the needle and sat down.. Then got bumped by my little kid as i started.. Lantz copped a yelling that she did not deserve, and i got scoweld by the missus, and then sat to work...

its shit work with a needle... i recon in hindsight a set of feeler gauges would probably better for this, but my bloody kiwi mate who borrowed them last month before being fired hasnt returned them yet. probably stached in his container. (hes actually a really good bloke)

anyways, i continue with the needle, als the while in the back of my mind that last snapped of leg still very fresh.

Anyways, i do it different this time and push out the indent from behind, and then push one of them apart.. shit that worked.. ok, next leg.. there are about 5.. slowly does it.. 2... shit!.. 3... 4 .. and the last one comes easily.. it aint pretty, but from my naked eye, it looks like they are separated..

walk upstairs, and plug in the card!...

wait for win98SE to boot up..

and start hexen...

works!!! holy shit.. maybe its a fluke.. so i get out of it and restart it again.. starts again...

holy shit!!!!

how about the 3dfx dougnut demos that come with the fastvoodoo drivers?

Both work!!!!

Freaking awesome!!!

only drama is that this is a 8 meg card, not a 12 meg card.. sigh...

but were in action... YAY!!!!!

rugger, MUTMAN, Pierre32 and 2 others like this.
  5. adz

adz Member

I always use a tiny flathead screwdriver to separate bent pins, always comes up a treat for me. Also, I find if you do each a little bit at a time, the result turns out much better.

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks adz, appreciate the input mate, its a learning thing for me, my eye sight is good, but i ant super man, that middle chip on the 3dfx card has super tiny legs.. super tiny.. like probably 3 in the space of 1 mm. I had to get my phone out to enlarge the area to be able to pick them apart. Still peeved i fucked up the other one as i am pretty sure that if i initially would have gone in from behind (no stop it!!!) that it would have worked out great too.

awell its a learning thing..

Still have a little bit of hope left for that card.

So, i am currently thinking about setting up the partitions and the pci card config/ OS'es that will be going on this little puppy..

(id really like to find a P700 version of the mobo thats in my case, but missed out on one)

Currently have win98se installed, but i never used that to be honest.. For me it was win3.11 then 95, and then i missed the whole 98 era as i was playing around with PSX /N64 and other consoles. So for me 98se or 98 vanilla doesnt do much for me, around 2k, when i kinda goit back into it, Windows ME was the thing i used, i know heaps of people scowl at it, but thats what it was for me, and thats what i am thinking of installing...

So Dos 6.22 (or Free dos, not sure yet)
    WinME
    BeOS R5.03

and possibly a version of Linux.. played around with a few, red hat and Gentoo.

Is there any reason I should be looking at win98se instead of ME?

Config wise...

def going to be trying to run 2 3dfx cards in SlI, if i can get my other card to work.

If i cant get my other card to work (ive since had another 12mb card posted to my place in Sydney, but who the fuck knows when ill be able to get back there.. Scomo talking about banning international travel for 4 years.

Anyways, if i cant get my other card to work, then i have a BFG FX5500OC that i wanna use in this build, although not period correct for 2000, as this card was introduced around 2003.. thats a bummer...

Might just up the rage3d up to 8 meg and see how that goes...??? (i have the card with ram ill rob already, but its still in the US at my mates warehouse, including a shit load of car stuff i still have to ship)

Might just see how it goes, if i go SLI, ill def wanna up it to the max that this PC can do. BX 700mhz, 100mhz fsb, mine only does 66mhz.

rugger and adz like this.
  7. JaC

JaC Member

I don't understand the ME hate. 98SE was good, but ME for me was just as stable. I ran ME because it had the benefit of not waiting for a timeout if network adapters were set to DHCP and didn't get assigned an IP at boot for whatever reason.

You can't give up on the voodoo 2s after coming this far. Don't chuck the one with the snapped pin. Might come in useful as spare parts - at the very least you could lift the memory off it to upgrade your 8MB card to a 12MB.

adz, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

LGR recently did a WinME vid, and his experience was pretty great. He has his thoughts on why it might have been a shitshow for some people then, and why it's worth a fresh look now. Over time you see early adopters of different hardware and software having real issues, for whatever reason. Then the product matures and those problems go away, but the reputation sticks thanks to a small legion of internet commenters who never let it go.

+1 on the Voodoos, don't give up on them. Worst case spare parts, but there has to be a guru somewhere in the land that can fix a broken pin.

adz and Vanne like this.
  9. rugger

rugger Member

Nothing really all that wrong with windows me .... as usual, the gremlins under the surface of the Win9x series of operating systems rear their ugly heads at times.

The biggest problem with Windows ME is that it makes it much more difficult to access the DOS prompt then Windows 98SE. Could be a good alternative for those systems where DOS sound card compatibility just doesn't work.

Also, the whole changeover to WDM drivers would have screwed a lot of people over when Windows ME was originally released (see Windows Vista for a similar user revolt over driver/system requirement issues)

adz and Vanne like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

I am thinking of buying a scanline generator for this box, as its connected to a HP via enabled flatscreen. its wide screen, which annoys me a little, but the solid pixels are even more annoying. Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, yeah ill stick with the 3dfx cards, well try to anyways. :) ill build an sli cable next.

couple of days off Yay!!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    adz, MUTMAN and Pierre32 like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Okay, it's come to this... IMG_20200815_205229.jpg

adz, Pierre32, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

so, who's going to start the "best dishwasher for retro" thread ?

Vanne, adz and Pierre32 like this.
  13. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

dont forget Voodoo cards need rinse aid.
    Im sure I read that in the Voodoo manual.

Vanne, adz, rugger and 1 other person like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

lol rinse aid added,..

I guess i should explain myself. Lol the only reason i dumped it in the dish washer is because i think the missing leg is responcible for the corupted graphics, but still works as it does boot into the game every so often, so i dont think the leg is it. I cleaned the board with a metho and a brush and another piece of metal come out (like another leg, but there are no other legs missing.. so ill try see if anything has changed...

probably not.. but maybe... standing by on the standby... :D

sure as shit looks clean now though :)

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

IMG_20200816_074315.jpg

Left this way overnight to let water drop out of it..

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  16. rugger

rugger Member

I normally put this stuff in the oven for a hour or 2. Set the oven to like 60-70C so nothing melts, but everything gets nice and warm. Use an external thermometer to check before you put the gear in.

Stuff dries quickly and all the water under the chips gets dried out this way.

adz likes this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

a sealable bag or container and a couple of cups of rice popped on top of something warm also do the job

adz likes this.
  18. rugger

rugger Member

adz likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

hmm.. okay, so still didnt get anywhere with that card, might frame it, or steal the ram chips from it to make the other card into a 12mb one.

Loved playing UT yesterday with my kid, that rocked...

I installed GLquake last night, but wasnt overly impressed with it, i was expecting the water to be see through like in UT, but it wasnt...

20. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

After some serious case reshaping and scrubbing and glueing up the facure, at least it's clean now..

[​IMG]

And..

[​IMG]
    Doesn't look the best, but now it's no longer bent through 720 degrees and filthy.

IMG_20200821_203628.jpg

adz, rugger, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.