Vanne's Compaq Deskpro EN SFF worklog

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Interesting comparing the model code of you Compaq with the code on mine
    compaq serial.jpg
    (Sorry about the sideways photo -- I have no idea why it does this)

Yours is OPENS P500/6.4/64/NT US
    Mine is OPENS P300/3.2/N4 AUST

Mine originally had a Slot 1 Celeron 300 which lines up with the P300
    But i have no suggestion as to the other codes.

Be carefull cleaning the sticker as the serial numbers wiped off mine.
    BTW I did hear of this happening on an aircraft, the captain wiped his side if the dash with a wet handwipe and it took of some of the printing, luckily the settings were still on the FO side.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Decoding is easy, ;)

Yours, as you said Pentium 300, 3.2gb hard drive, 64 megs of ram and well the last bit on mine is that it came stock with NT. , But yours says N4? Maybe a misprint? Interesting.. the 2 options there are supposed to be 98 or NT..

:)

I just last night populated the box with 512mb. 2x256 sticks. Cpu-z reported my original sticks as 128 and a 64mb stick, the 64 being ECC. Lol

Zub, if you have any need of my original sticks, feel free mate. :)

Edit: it's probably an Airbus where the marking wiped off, Boeing makes proper labels.. lol (jokes, just sharing a bit of in-house banter between guys who fly Boeing and Airbus) lol I don't fit in either of those categories, as I've flown both.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    MUTMAN and Zubrick like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Just chucked in a bid for a PCI voodoo3 2000. Fingers crossed. Lol

adz and JaC like this.
  4. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Well decoded Vanne,
    Thanks for the offer of the RAM but i recently put in 2 X128mb sticks which is plenty for my needs. These forums are so good with kind offers like this.

i am not sure what make of airplane it was in that incident but pilot friends have told me how unusual some of the airbuses are.

Vanne likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Wow, development.. won the 3dfx vooodoo 3 pci :) yay!!! its only the 2000 model, but should easily clock to 3000 speeds..

Also in the bag is a slot1 to socket 370 adaptor for possibly a 1ghz coppermine cpu...

Pierre32, JaC, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

the voodoo3 is on its way (chucked in with the Supercharger lol), also the fx5500 arrived, but have left it in its box. i think this build will accell with the Voodoo3 in it and call it a day at that. (also of note is that the voodoo3 has experimental hardware 3d acceleration in BeOS)

itll also work in MorphOS, so thats a bonus.

how are you going with yours Zub?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    adz and MUTMAN like this.
  7. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Hey Vanne, good to see your Compaq is progressing well.
    My Compaq SFF is chugging along really well. i have Win98 and Dos 6 running smoothly on it. Its a nice quiet litle unit.
    I have backed up most of my old 3.5 floppies and have my old favourite programs running, DBase, Framework Wordperfect etc.
    When using business programs its surprising how well the slot 1 with Win98 compares to modern AMD with Win10, water cooling 16g ram etc. Games would be an entirely different matter though.
    My old dbase programs really fly. Pity all my old dbase programming skills are so rusty.

I have been a bit sidetracked after I found aa old box with a lot of my old negatives and slides of surfing back in the 60s. I went and bought a scanner and have been trying to save oll my old images.
    If its not retro computing its retro photography, so its probably time for me to enter the 21st Century.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Vanne, rugger and MUTMAN like this.
  8. mwd

mwd Member

Hey Vanne,

Nice stuff! I have a Deskpro EN too and love it. Great size and speed is great for the era of games I like to play. I'm running Windows 2000 on it.

I need to do a video about it but for now I've posted this info: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Compaq_Deskpro_EN

okclock123, Vanne and Zubrick like this.
  9. kjparker

kjparker Member

that would have been one of the older Eisa based ones I think... I have a vague recollection of working with these. PITA.

Vanne and elvis like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thx for the input MWD, Zub and KJ ;)

Been slow going with this as of late, its been on the back burner as ive been busy elsewhere.. but 3dfx card hopefully here soon. I doubt the slotket board will be here anytime soon seeing as its been posted to my house in Sydney... :( seriously no idea when ill get there now, bloody Morrison has now apparently said, international travel for Aus is out till at least end 2021.. HOLY SHIT!!!!

Ill get around to working with this again soon. gotta clean up my nerd room and find all the bits the kids have walked off with.. its a mission.

Might see if we can run a UT session this arvo with the kids as they have school tomorrow again.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    JaC likes this.
  11. kjparker

kjparker Member

The 3.2 would refer to the storage iirc and n4 would be nt4

Vanne likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm okay something weird happened.. so now if I plug a ps/2 keyboard and mouse in, it works fine... ???

Small update..

Voodoo3 2000 PCI card came in, installed fine, works great, however, there are slight artifacts on the screen during the UT tunnel intro screen.. (very slight)just as the screen (black) I itializes. There are zero artifacts during game play nor the unreal start/select)options screen.

I've also run this card at 166mhz (v3 3000 speeds, both core and ram as they are locked together) and it's the same, no artifacts during game play or any other menu, just the start where it initialises on the black screen just before the tunnel I tro starts. glquake also zero artifacts.

Ive attached a small VGA fan to the heatsink with zero changes.

I can't remove the heatsink from the core as it's kinda glued on..

Should I be worried?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

what about out you down clock ?
    if it stays the same then not hardware ???

Vanne likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

I'll try that today..

15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

IMG_20201026_091351.jpg

IMG_20201026_091356.jpg
    IMG_20201026_091541.jpg IMG_20201026_091536.jpg

Pretty happy how it's running..

16. kjparker

kjparker Member

Nice. It still has all of the spare screws for hdd / odd attached to the front. I always thought that was a nice addition.

Pierre32 likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

bit of a development.... remember the artifacting?? well I re-installed winMe, reinstalled all the drivers (this time choosing for the OEM ones from 2000) and guess what??? zero artefacts... even when clocked up to 3000 speeds... I wonder if the drivers from the Voodoo2 had something to do with it. (never uninstalled those) or if it was just the non -oem drivers that were flaky? either way, that was the small win I had today... happy to keep it with small wins, ive had my share of fuck ups this month already...

adz, okclock123, JaC and 3 others like this.
  18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

That's good news!

Vanne likes this.
  19. gnug85

gnug85 Member

Where can you get those graphics card from ? More Specific the Geforce FX5500

20. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm eBay, about 50 bucks