Vanne's Compaq Deskpro EN SFF worklog

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jun 1, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Didnt mention it, but i am sure the keen among you spotted the small 486 CPU fan ive re-imaged as a VGA fan for the Voodoo3 card.
    Absolutely love this setup now. The only thing i doo miss when i need to access websites, the browser is bloody useless. (i know its not a good idea to take any of these boxes for a spin online, but sometimes you just need a few files right.)

Going to install BG1 next and DIablo2 (both with 3dfx accell :)

You know what else stands out, that LCD monitor, connected up with VGA, set at SVGA (800x600) or XGA(1024x768) is really vibrant and clear.. much more so than my current new LCD's. I wonder how it would look if i chuck a scanline gen in there. Ill be playing BG1 in glorious 800x600 as with Diablo2, as thats what i played them at when i was.....fuck me... little.. lol

Ive since tried to play BG in various different engines, and at various different rez's , and you know what, even at 1024x768 and higher i am squinting at the screen, so many pixels that you just miss out on. I agree that newer games look great at HD rez's, but some of these old games shine at low rez... again probably as that how the devs designed them to look thier best.

Starcraft1 comes to mind.. unplayable for me at high rez, amazing at 800x600.

anyhows , thats just me wonking on...

gotta get this puppy set up properly.

edit: on a slight downer, the CD-rom that came with the unit is toast.. takes forever to read anything.. but thats ok, as ill try and find a new old stock one..

BiggusDickus and adz like this.
  2. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

The curved earth effect in Diablo II was outrageous at the time.

Vanne likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Just bought a new mobo for my desktop, this is the final version, with CPU support for up to 700mhz coppermine CPUs, 100mhz fsb.

IMG_20210117_113338.jpg

I don't have one of those CPUs, but I have a 733mhz 133 fsb version... Will that work in its place? The multi is set at 5.5 (edit), so really if it does, will run at 550 (edit, thx guys) mhz, but will it actually work? Just the upgrade from Katmai to coppermine would be worth it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Pierre32, baronbaldric and adz like this.
  4. rugger

rugger Member

Hmmm, it would run at 500mhz, but it should work.

Would be a small upgrade from the Katmai P3 at the same frequency. Onchip L2 cache vis external L2 cache.

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i'm probably missing something here, but 733/133 = 5.5
    so it'd run 550 ??

adz likes this.
  6. rugger

rugger Member

haha, probably, I was just repeated the frequency Vanne said. Didn't do maths myself

7. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol yeah it's 5.5.. so would it work?

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

should work fine. the bios might allow a slight overclock too, but given it's OEM probably not ???

if you were super lucky you'd get FSB at 112mhz before the bus's start to really crap out

9. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

From what I recall of the same machine I had some years ago, overclocking isn't possible on these boards, so your 733MHz chip would only run at 550MHz with the 100MHz FSB.

Your best bet would be to find a processor with a 7x multiplier, such as a Coppermine 933MHz which should run fine at 100MHz FSB giving you a 700MHz chip.

Edit: ... or this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/INTEL-PENTIUM-III-700MHz-SL3XM-SLOT1-COOLER/174599199217 -- the SL3XM is a Coppermine chip according to this

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    baronbaldric and MUTMAN like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thx Mistikal, yeah already looked at the SL3XM, there is also the SL3s9 , both chips would be perfect, and they are around, though when you look at the price + shipping, its probably more than id like to pay.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  11. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

The one I linked is quite reasonable - $50 AUD, though shipping is a killer for that particular item.

12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Okies, new mobo arrived.. :) apperently something iffy with the usb ports... I wonder...

IMG_20210202_070002.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Pierre32, baronbaldric and adz like this.
  13. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Might be cheaper to shop around for a slotket adaptor that supports Coppermine CPUs. I find the socket 370 variants of these processors are easier to find and kinder on the wallet.

Vanne likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Way ahead of you Biggus, I ordered and received a really nice Asus slotkey including CPU about 6 months ago, to my place in Sydney.. might as well be on the moon now..so much stuff has arrived there while I've been unable to get home. Parts for my car too, it's a freaking nightmare.

I'll get onto installing that mobo and running some tests next week sometime. I have exams atm.

baronbaldric likes this.
  15. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Where are you right now? Overseas?

16. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Well all over the place really. In Tunisia atm, tomorrow back to Dubai, then NFI. I have a shit load of available days before my NYC trip on the 22nd. There is pretty much no roster now, just gets chopped and changed willy nilly. I pretty much go everywhere, get locked up in a hotel room and treated like scum or a convict. Pretty sad state of events really. I really enjoy the days where I am not working.

17. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Mind if I ask what you do for work that see's you jet-setting across the globe?

PS - congrats on the 2000th forum post :p

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Screenshot_20200307-135736~2.png

adz likes this.
  19. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Ah awesome fun - friend of mine is in the RAAF, radio tower controller at airbases and such, looks like a hoot!

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Oh dont quote me on that one, I only guessing Vanne is a jet jockey ???
    but flying high is one of my fav movies, i keep that pic on my phone :), so i couldnt resist the opportunity to drop that pic in