Vanne's Compaq Deskpro EN SFF worklog

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jun 1, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

lol love that movie. Yeah i drive planes for ek, though mostly cargo these days.

going to see if i can find a cpu to fit in that board to max it out and then be done with it. ill test it out first with the old cpu and see if the usb ports are operational. Seems these things are extremely fussy with the keyboards that that like. None of my apple keyboards worked with my current board. holy crap 2k messages.. ;D

baronbaldric and MUTMAN like this.
  2. adz

adz Member

I love how professional pilots refer to themselves as drivers :leet:

3. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol. anyhows, so i installed the new Mobo.. works perfect, but doesnt want a bar of the other slot 1 900mhz cpu ive got. looks like this really will be limited to 700mhz.. which i am okay with.. just have to pull the trigger on the cpu.

Anyways, the seller said that the USB ports dont work... not sure what the go is, but these deskpro en sff mobos dont like a lot of USB keyboards, and this mobo is the same.. doesnt like any apple keyboards non about 5 others i have lying around.. loves the Dell Alienware one though, works perfect..

So, swapped boards, works a charm.. the other mobo tops out at 500mhz P3, this one at 700.. nfi if i could have bios updated it, i downloaded the compaq pack for doing such, but didnt wanna brick the other board.. for 20 bucks and 20 bucks shipping the new mobo is good to have as a spare anyhows.

its identical aside from the screen print for switches.

another interesting fact is that the board boots regardless of the position of the switches for cpu id, so no idea how that works.

edit:

Just won a bid for a SL3XM.. :)

(and a Ti 4200, but thats not for this box)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    baronbaldric likes this.
  4. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Nicely done. Should be a good little screamer all things considered. How does the onboard 2D chip cope with the likes of something like a Voodoo 2?

Vanne likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

you know what Misti, i only tried the voodoo 2 in this mobo for about 10 minutes, just to see that they worked. the 16meg really is the limiting factor in what these cards can do. The onboard vid was fine with the voodoo 2, no issues at all, even with the SLi.

The only thing was with Sli, (only 2 PCI slots in this box), i needed to trim the CPU heatsink for both V2 cards to fit. which is why the Voodoo 3 is a perfect fit for this box, and allows me to use a sound card in it aswell.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

IMG_20210301_145034.jpg

IMG_20210301_145006.jpg
    CPU is in :)

And a few minutes later...

IMG_20210301_151955.jpg

IMG_20210301_151959.jpg

Yay...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    adz, rugger, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

16146535774107606470283249333270.jpg
    Swapped heatsinks.. the new one didn't fit underneath the harddrive/floppy rack.

Man these are a bitch to get apart..used some new CPU paste, so will hopefully stay nice and cool for a bit.

16146597511611985769904667112435.jpg

In its new home...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    baronbaldric, adz and Pierre32 like this.
  8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Certainly some tight packaging in those systems! That new heatsink looks sexy and sleek. Will there be a fan, or are you keeping it passive?

9. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

keeping it passive, already enough whine coming from downstairs... ;)

rugger and Pierre32 like this.
  10. kjparker

kjparker Member

doubt there is room for anything else in there...

11. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Coming to a huge issue...

The computer runs great and everything, but the onboard ess sound card is pretty rubbish, and i have a pretty sweet FM801 card and i do have 2 pci slots, but the Voodoo3 gets /THAT/ hot, ill need to put a fan on it, and with a little fan on it, there wont be room for the sound card.... Grrrrr...

Not sure what to do now.. thinking of building a tower... fark!!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

one of those slim centrifugal blower fans like in a laptop could fit somehow ?

13. rugger

rugger Member

You could:
    a) Ignore it ... how many power on hours does the computer get these days. Probably not a lot overall.
    b) Replace the heatsink with a low profile heatsink/fan, then run the fan at low speed. The voodoo 3 needs some cooling, but not a lot.
    c) Give up on the sound card idea and build a pi-mt32 for external midi :p .... well, maybe not quite for a Windows 98 machine.

Vanne likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

thats the other delima, i have a sc55 that i wanna hook up to it, but the built in ess sound card doesnt have the joystick port on the board to attach the cables... frikkin rubbish.. sigh...

maybe ill buy a board for the thunderbird 750 ive just recieved....