Vanne's new XP athlon box.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Mar 6, 2021.

1. hutts24

hutts24 Member

The old Athlons used the EV6 bus licensed from DEC which runs at DDR speeds, so when you set the FSB at 100MHz it's effectively 200MHz, just like the DDR333 could be running asynchronously at 166MHz * 2. I always found this terminology mildly confusing but I guess it was done to be consistent with the old non DDR PCI and ISA buses used on the same board.

baronbaldric and Vanne like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

just bought a fan controller from Amazon. The cpu fan is waaaay to loud for this underclocked Athlon. (still waiting for my Thunderbird to show up).
    Any idea how/if its possible to show CPU temp on WinME, in a small window to keep an eye on the temp? Id also like to show GPU temp.. not sure if the ti4200 has a thermal diaode in it? The cpu fan is now silent.. :D

3. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Try SpeedFan. It's a wonderful piece of software. I've been using it for many years. You may even be able to control the speed of that super noisy CPU fan with it. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

baronbaldric, Pierre32 and Vanne like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks Jamie, got it, pretty happy with it, does exactly that! :D
    Time to try and find my old discs for C&C and Diablo2/ WC3 /Starcraft.

5. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thunderbird 900mhz showed up yesterday. Spent a good 30 minutes cleaning the crap (old CPU paste) off the chip. Chucked it in and off she went.. I wonder how much difference no SSE+ instructions will make. Also the on die L2 is different...

(The 1ghz thunderbird is inbound to my joint in Sydney, thx Jamie)

Pretty stoked with this setup atm.. just have to start installing games now. And possibly working on a dual boot option for BeOS and XP.

baronbaldric likes this.
  6. rugger

rugger Member

Sweet stuff

I do know that some of the thermal pads used back then required stuff like acetone to shift quickly. Thankfully they stopped being a thing.

Vanne likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeah I think it was old thermal pad stuff. Had to use a knife to peel it off.. I used to let the old CPU paste soak abit , didn't help here...

And just installed C&C win 95.. works perfect!!! :)

rugger likes this.
  8. hutts24

hutts24 Member

I usually smother the nasty thermal pad stuff in methylated spirits, wipe away after some time and then pick away at the tough bits with a wooden skewer. You can use the pointed end to run along the edge of CPU dies without damaging them.

9. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

The V8420 delux showed up yesterday.. its dead in the water... :( does dos fine, anytime it needs to boot into windows, it shits itself. Gave it the benifit of the doubt, re-installed win9x about 5 times with a multitude of different drivers.. same crap everytime... "She's dead Jim!" its possible it doesnt like my ECS board, but then were still at the zero gate.

10. rugger

rugger Member

If you tried to install the video card drivers, without installing the AGP drivers first, you should be able to determine if it is a board problem or a card problem.

Without AGP drivers, the card will fall back to PCI mode, which would be compatible with virtually all AGP motherboards.

Vanne likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

its def not a board problem, my ti4200 64mb works a treat.. this new card does not.. :(

12. rugger

rugger Member

Damn, that is sad!

13. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

AGreed, as it is now, it leaves me kinda adrift in the water... I have a few less powerful cards available like the ati8500 64mb, and the gegorce2 MX440 (shitbox) , and i have a bunch of waaaay more powerful cards available like the x850, x800, 3850, 6800gt, 7800gt and whatever else is hiding in my cupboard, but nothing really in the mid level section... :( first world issues... (i would like to be able to play WC3 on this box though) I also dug up my Battlefield 1942 discs...lol which still had the purchase docket in it from Warriwood Kmart)

14. rugger

rugger Member

Hmmm, Nvidia FX5700 would probably be a good choice as well .... approximately as fast at a Ti4200

15. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Wait, what. You have a Ti 4200 and got another one?

Vanne likes this.
  16. rugger

rugger Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

hmm, yeah still looking for a card.. still peeved that that 128mb ti doesnt work...

18. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Just spent another night on the taps trying to get this 128mb ti4200 to go, it does Vesa, but thats as far as i can get it in this ECS mobo, on the upside, it works perfectly in my dual Tyan mobo... def something incompatible with the ECS mobo and this card...

Hopefully ill have better luck with this...

s-l1600 (1).jpg

FX5900XT from Daytona. Ill remove the fan for an NV3 silencer.. but first i wanna see if it works as advertised...
    Failing that i have a 128mb nx6600gt inbound for testing.. surely we gotta come up trumps with one of these...

I kinda dont like the 6600GT as its rather on the late side for this setup, also apperently there is a sleep issue with the GF6 series and 9x.

Yeah i get its a pink/purple card... thats ok, iam rather ok with my sexuality ;D still also waiting on a X800pro to rock up..no sign so far...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    adz and rugger like this.
  19. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Are the Ti 4200 issues something to do with auto selection of the AGP interface speed? maybe manually set AGP 2.0 (4x)

20. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Possibly, no idea mate, I've tried both 1x, 2x , 4x and even manual driving.. zero success..