Various BSODs Win7

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by pippin88, Sep 21, 2014.

1. pippin88

pippin88 Member

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling a bit with this one.

I put together a long overdue upgrade a couple of months ago.

4770k (second hand)
    Z87x-OC (second hand)
    16GB Mushkin DDR3
    R9 290 (second hand)

Used old:
    240gb SSD
    2x 750GB HDD in RAID1

I'm having a few problems with the PC:
    I've had about 20 BSODs in the last 3 months. These mostly seem to occur when doing light activity. I don't think I've had one occur with heavy load (gaming etc.)

I've also had problems with not resuming from sleep - power comes on but monitor does not wake. Happens very intermittently.

BSODs:
    DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
    CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Caused by:
    gdrv.sys
    ntoskrnl.exe
    ntoskrnl.exe
    ntoskrnl.exe
    gdrv.sys
    gdrv.sys
    gdrv.sys
    ntoskrnl.exe
    ntoskrnl.exe
    ntoskrnl.exe
    ntoskrnl.exe
    atikmdag.sys
    ntoskrnl.exe
    fltmgr.sys
    watchdog.sys
    atikmdag.sys
    Ntfs.sys
    ntoskrnl.exe

I'm run Memtext86+ for >48 hours straight with no errors.
    I've run Prime95 for >24 hours with no problems.
    Temperatures are fine (water cooled)

I've tried different graphics drivers (14.4, 14.7 beta, 13.12) with a full Display Driver Uninstaller clean each time.

I implemented driver verifier, which identified the Gigabyte utilities (gdrv.sys) as problematic - i've uninstalled these (which is bloody annoying as I want to run my fans slower than bios will allow.....)

Code:

Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 5.02
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program will help you find the root cause and possibly a solution. 

Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice. 

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. It will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems. 

To obtain technical support visit www.resplendence.com/support

Click here to check if you have the latest version or if an update is available. 

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which allows you to perform more thorough and detailed analysis. It also offers a range of additional features such as remote analysis on remote directories and remote computers on the network. 

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
    Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

computer name: NICKS
    windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
    windows dir: C:\Windows
    Hardware: Z87X-OC, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z87X-OC-CF
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
    8 logical processors, active mask: 255
    RAM: 17127673856 total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 21/09/2014 1:51:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092114-1564986-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: gdrv.sys (gdrv+0x1809) 
    Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xF6, 0x610, 0xFFFFFA800D555060, 0xFFFFF8800A5DC809)
    Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
    file path: C:\Windows\gdrv.sys
    product: Windows (R) Server 2003 DDK driver
    company: Windows (R) Server 2003 DDK provider
    description: GIGABYTE Tools
    Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier. 
    A driver references a user-mode handle as kernel mode. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: gdrv.sys (GIGABYTE Tools, Windows (R) Server 2003 DDK provider). 
    Google query: Windows (R) Server 2003 DDK provider DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

On Sun 21/09/2014 1:51:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xF6, 0x610, 0xFFFFFA800D555060, 0xFFFFF8800A5DC809)
    Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier. 
    A driver references a user-mode handle as kernel mode. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: gdrv.sys (GIGABYTE Tools, Windows (R) Server 2003 DDK provider). 
    Google query: Windows (R) Server 2003 DDK provider DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

On Sun 21/09/2014 1:44:44 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092114-8112-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0) 
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF9800CC1EFD8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8000354E588)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sun 21/09/2014 1:43:25 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092114-11497-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF9800E6FEFD0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8000355F588)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sun 21/09/2014 1:41:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092114-37440-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xC1 (0xFFFFF98083AC4FC0, 0xFFFFF98083AC45C6, 0x6F4040, 0x23)
    Error: SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION
    Bug check description: This indicates that the driver wrote to an invalid section of the special pool.

On Tue 16/09/2014 10:13:46 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091614-6942-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xF6, 0x37C, 0xFFFFFA8017AA0B30, 0xFFFFF88006B5B809)

On Tue 16/09/2014 10:07:03 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091614-7628-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xF6, 0x37C, 0xFFFFFA801723D060, 0xFFFFF88006B2D809)

On Tue 16/09/2014 10:05:30 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091614-11325-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0xF6, 0x24C, 0xFFFFFA80163DD520, 0xFFFFF88006F05809)

On Tue 16/09/2014 9:54:53 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091614-54912-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41284, 0x215CC001, 0x0, 0xFFFFF70001080000)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. 

On Sat 13/09/2014 8:32:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091314-9937-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80168D7B30, 0xFFFFFA80168D7E10, 0xFFFFF800037CC270)
    Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
    Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. 
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue. 

Conclusion

19 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers: 

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
    gdrv.sys (GIGABYTE Tools, Windows (R) Server 2003 DDK provider)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Are you overclocked?

3. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

Nope, running stock on everything.

4. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

When you tested your ram did you test each stick individually?

If not, you should.

Have you tested your hdds?

5. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

I tested both sticks together. I can't see a situation in which they'd pass together but fail individually.
    Sticks certainly can pass individually but fail when tested together due to motherboard and CPU factors.
    However, I will test them separately in a couple of days.

Any particular tool for testing the HDDs? They don't seem to have any SMART errors.

6. mareke

mareke Member

I had a similar problem. The crash dump files posted were similar to mine blaming ntoskrnl.exe, atikmdag.sys, Ntfs.sys etc etc. My PSU was a good quality Corsair TX750 PSU but it had been running for around 18 hours per day every day for at least 7 years and the 3.3 volt and Vcore rails were sagging under load because the PSU was getting tired.

The blue screens would occur when the CPU was having to work hard and the System 32 file that happened to be running that caused the stress was blamed by a program I used to analyse the crash dump files.

I tried cleaning the dust out of the PSU and it helped a little but the 3.3 volt rail in particular was always below 3.3 volts and sometimes below 3 volts. I decided to buy a new PSU and after checking some reviews I bought an Antech True Power PSU because the reviews showed it to average a little above 3.3 volts instead of a little below for Corsair PSUs and I haven't had a blue screen since. My monitor screen was also going blank for a split second intermittently and this has also stopped because now the graphics card is getting the required voltage to keep it running as designed.

7. koopz

koopz Member

he said he bought it second hand :(

8. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

mareke,

I've got a Corsair HX620.

BSODs don't seem to happen related to periods of high usage. I've run Prime95 plus Furmark at the same time for quite a while with not problems (temperature or crashes).

9. mareke

mareke Member

My blue screens which were remarkably similar to yours in frequency (I probably had 20 over several months) and had identical causes to yours reported by the Who Crashed program which analysed the memory dump files didn't all occur at times of high CPU. Some happened when my computer wasn't doing much. I'm guessing that the large capacitor in my Corsair PSU (I found it contained a single large capacitor when I opened it up) was not storing voltage properly and the blue screens occurred when voltage in the capacitor momentarily dropped below a threshold. If your PSU has had a lot of use like mine it may be getting old and tired and it could still be causing the blue screens despite being able to run Prime, memtest etc without a problem. It would only take voltage stored in the tired capacitor to drop for a split second to result in a blue screen. The only way to check this is to do what I did and try another PSU.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  10. DeejW

DeejW Member

Have you done a clean Windows install to rule out OS/drivers/software?

11. YIPYA

YIPYA Member

all the above.

test hard drives with manufacture harddrive diagnostic tool. wd has lifediag lifeguard all something like that. seagate has seatools.

google hard drive diagnostic test for your make. seatools do most.

next I would check the psu. test rails. multimeter etc. some bios will show it.

good luck.

12. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

Haven't done clean install, thinking about it, but I'm likely to end up with the same drivers anyway.

My motherboard has voltage check points (with cables to make it easier) so when I get a chance I'll do some testing under various loads.

No problems found on drive diagnostics.

13. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

Well, I don't think it is the ram.
    I've tried each stick individually and had 2 BSODs each.
    I tested extensively with Memtest86, including testing every CPU core and got no errors.
    I do get Memtest86 freezing and problems if I try to test all CPU cores at the same time (parallel etc) but from googling this seems like it may be a Memtest86 problem.

4 BSODs in the last month.
    Occur usually when doing very little. Just had one reading a forum.
    Intermittent problems resuming or going to sleep occur also.

14. mareke

mareke Member

I mentioned in a previous post that I've had lots of blue screens remarkably similar to yours. A new PSU stopped my monitor screen from blanking momentarily due to low voltage and the frequency of blue screens has dropped but I still get the occasional one usually when the CPU is stressed. I installed CC Cleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) and have used it to clean up the registry etc and it may have helped. My last blue screen was October 14th with the reason given by BlueScreenView as 'ntoskrnl.exe' and 'ntdll.dll'. Like you I frequently get 'ntoskrnl.exe' as a reason.

My blue screens may being caused by Microsoft update KB-2393802. I've got an old ATI graphics card and I'm using an old version of ATI Catalyst Control centre and the explanation below fits as a possible cause.

15. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

I was actually testing voltages when you made your post.

12v: 11.99v idle, 11.98v running IntelBurnTest, 11.96-11.97v running IntelBurnTest and Furmark.
    5v: 5.00v idle, 5.00v IntelBurnTest, 4.98v IntelBurnTest and Furmark

I'm going to reinstall Win7 today.

If I get BSODs on new install, I'm looking at buying a new motherboard.

16. mareke

mareke Member

Your PSU doesn't look to be a likely cause. Buying a new motherboard assumes that it's a faulty motherboard causing the blue screens and there's no reason to conclude that. Motherboards tend to either work or they don't work. It's far more likely to be a software bug. Formatting would be the way to go if it's software related. Reinstalling Windows over itself may not fix it but is worth a try as it involves the least hassle. In my case it may be the Windows update I referred to in my previous post causing it or maybe it's my computer showing its age-Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Northwood running Windows XP every day for around 10 years without a format! My blue screens are now rare enough to not worry about them.

17. Unframed

Unframed Member

A clean install will rule out software conflicts not just driver issues.

Do you have a Linux OS or a Linux live CD, run that for some time and try put some strain on the system. If you get stop errors there too it's hardware for sure.

18. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

I'm up and running on a fresh install of Win7.
    Took some fiddling getting a USB key to boot, had to try a few creation tools, then had a problem with USB mouse and keyboard not being recognised by the install.

I've avoided installing a few things that are most commonly associated with problems.
    Will see how I go.

19. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

Still getting BSODs, mostly Memory_management.
    Also more frequently getting problems either going in to sleep, or resuming from sleep. Sometimes hangs / black screens, more frequently a single program will crash.

I've run Memtest86+ (previously used Memtest86) for 24 hours on single core, and then 24 hours on parallel (all 8 cores) without any errors.

There is a problem somewhere in the memory subsystem, but it could be CPU, motherboard, or RAM, or GPU, or software and I can't bloody work out where it is!
    I think there were increased crashes when I moved to Catalyst 14.12 drivers, but then went back (used DDU) and have tried a couple of others.

Grrrr

20. OP
    OP
    pippin88

pippin88 Member

I've run for a few weeks on entirely different RAM (2x2gb sticks) - possibly had less BSODs, but still had some and still had programs crashing, particularly when resuming from sleep.

I've updated to the latest BIOS.
    I've tried various versions of AMD graphics drivers.

I would happily buy a replacement part if I could work out which part needed replacing!!!