1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

VDSL2 SFPs

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by evakq8r, Jul 12, 2018.

1. evakq8r

evakq8r Member

2. caspian

caspian Member

NBN are not "selective" re devices in the slightest. I have no idea where this uniformed rumour gets perpetuated from. you can use literally any VDSL2 device on the face of the planet on any connection without any restriction or limitation, it just has to be configured correctly to match the NBN network. that's no different from it's ever been with ADSL when you had to make sure things like the VP/VC settings matched the Telstra network.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    evakq8r

evakq8r Member

I'm guessing it stems from user experience? Either that, or ports just happen to magically lock themselves when certain CPEs are present.

Ie. I had an old TPLink TDW9980 that refused to hold sync for longer than 3 seconds, with 3 different FTTN services (different providers). Swapped to another of the same model, same thing happened. After 3 months of back and forth between the RSP and NBNco, they determined the issue to be a port lock down due to incompatible CPE. Swapped to a different CPE (fritz box in this case) and hey presto it works.

And yes I had gone through changing vlans etc on the tplink, but that's not the point.

4. caspian

caspian Member

ports only lock if a modem not supporting G.INP is connected to them, end of story. and that won't be an issue in a few months anyway when a fix is delivered, which should kill this urban legend once and for all.

what you describe is absolutely not due to this issue. if the modem doesn't support G.INP then the line will never sync, and the port lock can last for some hours unless it is manually reset. all you had was a bad modem, whatever you were told.

5. OP
    OP
    evakq8r

evakq8r Member

Caspians input aside...... Anyone had any SFP experience with FTTN?

6. BAK

BAK Member

We had some issues with EU modems from a particular vendor, and G.INP (also called Transmission or ReTX) on the upstream was the reason the sync kept dropping and/or dslam kept locking. Once we enabled "US-ReTX" (or more accurately once the vendor added it to the firmware so we could enable it), they connect happy as larry. According to this vendor, no other countries use upstream G.INP.

So as Caspian said, if your device supports G.INP, you should be able to connect without any problems.

evakq8r likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

I only know of one other country, the Netherlands. I've had to flash Dutch firmware into a modem to get it to work correctly, despite the Australian firmware being advertised as "NBN compatible". google translate got some work that day.

TheWedgie likes this.
  8. caspian

caspian Member

9. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

10. caspian

caspian Member

my mate got this working last. he has some old managed switch with SFP cages, so he set up a VLAN between one cage and an electrical ethernet port, ran that to his pfSense box, then LAN side back to the switch with all of the other ports in a different VLAN for local connectivity. the SFP just worked as soon as it was inserted.