Vega56 Nitro+ LE Strange Issues (black screen on driver install, destroying UEFI boot record, BSODs)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by sammy_b0i, Jan 16, 2021.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I'm having some serious issues with this card, and I'm not sure if it's specifically this card, or something else. Seller assures me it was working fine when removed two weeks ago. I've got conflicting conclusions based on different scenarios, so I don't really know what to think, and hoping that someone else can give me a second opinion.

In this system (in sig) I've had a 5700XT, a GTX1070, an RTX3060Ti, a 2060S without any issues, crashes, etc.

So, the gist of the problem is below.

(TL;DR - install driver results in crash, loses boot device, need to rebuild, stuck on older drivers)

DDU to remove the Nvidia drivers.
    Shut down.
    Install Vega56.
    Connect its three (!) 8-pin connectors.
    Start up.
    Microsoft basic display adapter.
    Download latest AMD drivers (20.12)
    Start installing.
    Get to where it normally flickers black as the drivers install, but it goes black, fans kick up and down, and screen goes to sleep.
    Restart, and get back in with basic display adapter.
    Think it's a fluke, and reinstall drivers.
    Same thing happens, but this time on restart, get this BSOD:

[​IMG]

It reads "Inaccessible_Boot_Device", restarts, and now won't get to Windows splash screen.
    Check BIOS.
    UEFI boot option missing from menu. SSD still shows up.
    Run windows USB and use BCDEdit to rebuild the UEFI boot entry.
    Try to boot in, and get this BSOD:

[​IMG]

It reads "amdkmpfd.sys" Error Code "0xc000007b".
    Can't get passed it with safe mode, driver signature enforcement toggle, etc.
    Use Windows USB to restore to restore point.
    Back to Windows 10, basic display adapter.

---

So, things I've tried since then:

CMOS reset to remove OC
    Manually installing latest driver infs
    Fresh windows install
    GPU BIOS switch toggle

I have been able to install the drivers from 2017 (17.12) and then the 2018 drivers (18.1) and then upgrade to 18.5 all seemingly okay.

If I try to install 18.9 or above, instantly crash and BSOD and etc.

I don't feel it's going to be PSU related, as I'm sure that would show up under load, not when trying to install drivers.
    I don't feel it's going to be my hardware related, as I've been running it for a while now with other cards without any issues.
    I don't think it's just bad drivers, as I've never had this happen before.

My conclusion is that it's a faulty card.

From the sellers perspective, they had it working before they posted it to me, so they feel there's got to be something wrong with my system to be causing the issues.

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

If it works fine with the 18.5 drivers, it seems unlikely to be a hardware fault with the card..?

3. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

I was thinking that too, but massive artefacts when running unigine valley and crashes to desktop.

Swapped pcie slots and that went away.

Thought I was onto a winner so installed latest drivers again and no change.

Except for the fact I can't use a system restore any more to get back to where I was. Now getting Critical Process Died BSOD every boot.

4. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Yeah, that sucked. Corrupted my system restore point I made from before the install. Actually kind of broke system restores all together.

Managed to get back to an earlier one from before the 18.5 installs, but stuck at 30hz instead of 60.

Pulled the card and put the 2060S back in and am currently reinstalling windows fresh.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  5. acap

acap Member

6. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Heaps and heaps of display port link errors as well every few minutes... Booting in at 2080x1080 and no 4k res available.. then sometimes 4k30 or 4k24 only...

7. headin2001

headin2001 Member

some cards just dont like some drivers. I have a 7970 Lightning that will only work with like 2 driver versions. Either find one that it's happy with or potentially RMA (if in warranty).

8. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Unfortunately not in warranty. I could install 17.12, then 18.1, then 18.5, but that's where it stopped.

Every boot would be at the wrong resolution, wrong refresh rate, missing refresh rates, tonnes of these errors every few minutes:

[​IMG]

HDMI stopped the errors, but the other res/refresh problems were still there.

9. Jaco

Jaco Member

I would 100% feel confident that somethings up with the card. He updated his drivers and it started acting funny, so he thought it's nearly EOL - the seller tried to see if he could get some bites and now it's no longer his problem. Was it cheap at all?

Have you got a completely separate computer to test this in? (Unless you already mentioned, I didn't see it)

If you've had a million of these problems now, what happens if you go back to one of the other cards (if you have them anymore) - does it all mysteriously go away again?

Do you feel comfortable in researching BIOS Modding that card and ensuring, in case it has been done previously, that its got the BIOS for the right memory type, etc - in case it was ever mined with?

And it's doing all this dumb stuff as soon as the PC loads into Windows - as opposed to being triggered when a game starts or other?

It's odd that you say it's fine until you get on newer drivers..

10. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Yeah, it's an odd duck. I'm running this same hardware with a few different cards, no issues. Playing Cyberpunk, etc, etc. CPU clocked to 4.5. No stability issues, no stress. That's with a 5700XT, an RTX3060Ti, etc.

Put this card in, DDU, then try to install latest drivers and it crashes to black screen, and then UEFI boot option missing from BIOS. Have to BCDedit and rebuild it from Windows installer USB. Nightmare over and over.

I'm going to see a mate today and test it in his machine. I think that's the easiest way to know if it's the card or not.

It wasn't overly cheap, and the previous owner doesn't do any mining, and assures me that two weeks ago it was working perfectly when he upgraded.

I'm not adverse to ATIflashing the stock bios back on, but I've tried both BIOS switch positions and it seemed to make no difference to the issues.

Jaco likes this.
  11. Jaco

Jaco Member

Best bet then is to try it on all fresh hardware, like a friends system - and go from there then, you'll soon see :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

FML.

Works fine on mates system. Latest drivers, DP 3440 UW with freesync on.

13. Jaco

Jaco Member

Are there any formal complains on reddit or anything online, if perhaps those cards there's a bug on the new drivers then?

14. asho444

asho444 Member

Could be your power supply, Vega were a bitch with different psus

15. Elmf

Elmf Member

True and its easy to try with a dif PSU, just leave rig as is and have a PSU out the side cabled up, assuming you have a spare

16. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

I don't have any spares at the moment, unfortunately.

I might look at pulling my system out of the case and test-benching it, or something.

On one side, relieved it's a working card. On the other, not looking forward to more troubleshooting.

17. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Try your basic underclock.

Drag the power slider in Afterburner to 50% and see if it'll stay running.
    If it does... fair bet it wants more juice.

18. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

I did that when I had the older drivers working. Dropped the clocks and the power, no difference.

There was one boot where I was able to run a superposition run with no issues, which I'm sure would have taken a lot more juice than installing drivers.

After seeing it working today on another system, I'm feeling that it might be slot related. Kind of want to try a different case (as this one was hacked up a bit to fit EATX)

19. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

That's good news in a way. If you have proven the card is fine you don't have to go through the drama with the seller/vendor/warranty/etc. Hopefully it turns out to be something simple elsewhere. :)

Groff and sammy_b0i like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Yeah that's the one positive about it. I was feeling sorry for the seller as they were adamant they'd sent a working product, and it sucks to be in that position. At least it looks like it can be resolved in the end if keep trying to work something out.

Elmf and Groff like this.