1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Version Control!

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Mifferz, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Mifferz

Mifferz Member

I'm surprised by the new developers we recruited who have not used a version control software before - not even at uni! What's going on here? SVN should be the absolute minimum prerequisite if I was recruiting!*

"How did you back up your code?
    "DVD's / portable hard drives"

:tired:

* not serious

2. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

Version control was never really talked about in my course (or maybe I slept through that part :)).

Even here at work, people don't bother with version control, outside of critical systems and client facing software.

3. trickma

trickma Member

I was taught SVN at uni, we use it for absolutely everything at work. We hired a dev the other day that didn't know about SVN after years of experience which also shocked me!

4. grs1961

grs1961 Member

There are people, in management, at quite high levels, who think that version control is "dangerous".

At least one I know of, who came up through DEC and VMS tried to specify that the file systems on our VAXen should be configured not to maintain file versions. He left shortly after being informed that that would never, ever, happen. (No, I don't know if he was pushed, but if he'd passed an open window I would have been sorely tempted...)

He is now somewhere in a large bank, no doubt trying to stop them from backing up transactions...

5. bojo

bojo Member

This needs elaboration! Like how could anyone think that?.

Also version control has basically been solved for me via git. Git is just fundamentally awesome for code. I basically preach it to anyone who listens.

6. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Yes I always use version control, even for stuff I'm hacking up at home. Makes it very easy to switch between the desktop and the laptop. Have used cvs, svn, git and some MS piece of crap solution.

7. OMGguru

OMGguru Member

I use Subversion religiously.

An older project where I worked had a code base that would be development, they would write something to it, when they are happy rsync it out to the ~50 deployments of the software.

Now we have run into the problem of forking it for customer specific features and merging changes in and out. Currently boss does it by rsync, takes him half a day to do a merge.

I am in charge of another largeish project, I started it with clear DEV/LIVE branches in SVN and takes me 5 minutes to merge and deploy.

ALWAYS source control.

8. FearTec

FearTec Member

On Windows I use http://www.visualsvn.com to create a SVN server then use http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html to add SVN abilities to right click in explorer.

Step 0: Read docs at both sites
    Step 1, Install Visual SVN (free) and create repository/ accounts etc)
    Step 2: Install SVN/connect to SVN Server
    Step 3: Check out/in folder into SVN

On Mac I use https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/cornerstone/id404789253?mt=12
    (Im glad I purchased it for $40 on sale, best app ever).

Install, Create Repository, Check Out, Edit Files, Check In

9. bojo

bojo Member

All you svn people need to try git. In my experience its just leaps and bounds over svn.

I'm firmly drinking the dvcs coolade.

I was discussing this with someone the other day. With the breadth of projects on github I'm surprised people don't have experience with git. Forking and hacking tools is just so fundamental to development in my mind.

10. frogsy

frogsy Member

Yeah, when it was said that people graduated without knowing about SVN, I assumed they'd just been using Git. I imagine that persisting use of SVN is just due to the hassle of switching over, there's no reason to continue using it otherwise.

11. OP
    OP
    Mifferz

Mifferz Member

I love GIT. Old place introduced me to it and wanted to push it to current work. Alas no such luck :(

12. OMGguru

OMGguru Member

I already had my projects in SVN so if I were to move to git I have the process of moving it all over and archiving my revision history to date for past references, thats a hassle in and on itself, but mostly throughout the few tutorials I have had with git, I am yet to see significant benefit to it over SVN, so why change for no major benefit?

I also have plenty of custom hooks for SVN current built that I'd have to recreate functionality for in git.

I'm currently working on a small project thats only really 4 or so files big that I might try out in git, get some more exposure to it and see if its really worth swapping to.

13. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

I use version control. I battle constantly trying to wrangle old-timers into the correct habits (yes, yes you really need to merge your changes and no, you can't just ignore what other people have done).

We use svn mostly due to large binary files under management and git not playing nicely with binaries that big. Also the aforementioned human issue; svn is simpler and easier to explain (in the naive case -- especially when people in question struggle with terminal commands and need nice shell-extensions to do things for them...).

Personally and for other jobs I use git, because I find it more useful, especially branch/merge, which are a pain in svn. Also use hg for other stuff etc...

I am constantly surprised though at the amount of people in all fields who don't version control and don't see the point :\

14. tr3nton

tr3nton Member

Version control wasn't covered in my degree.

15. frogsy

frogsy Member

Are there really that many programmers who are uncomfortable with the terminal? I kind of assumed they went together, it's hard to imagine.

16. bojo

bojo Member

Gits lightweight branching and is super pessimistic about keeping your files. Non destructive by default more or less.

Svn I found on the other hand was hell for branching.. Like my god, and you could quite easily just nuke your local copy. Git you can hack offline. Branch for features and rebase back to master. Its fantastic if you are working on projects that have multiple developers.

Svns only upside is binary files, which isn't great even in svn.

I'm surprised at the amount of developers that aren't used to some command line hacking. I would expect any developer to be at least aware of C and other things which basically demand terminal work (not to mention terminal is by far the better interface! Go vim!)

17. proffesso

proffesso Member

ive used svn, perforce and alienbrain. svn and perforce are both decent, not sure which I like better though

18. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Used SVN and Git at uni (QUT)

Use TFS at work

Use Git for personal projects

TFS can eat a dick.

19. OMGguru

OMGguru Member

There are HEAPS - especially Uni Graduates I find (although there are those who play more and learn more than others).

I also find it hard to think of a developer who can't install and configure their server to runtime, but there are plenty of people whose jobs are SysAdmin

I also find it hard to think people who install and configure those servers can't join it to a public network, but there are dedicated Network Admin's to do this job.

I also find it hard to think people who install Networks can't operate a public network direct to the internet, but there are 'Network Engineers' for those jobs.

I tend to wear every hat at the moment :(

20. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Not uncomfortable with it, but its the 21st century, not 1984. Give me a nice GUI any day (or a script that abstracts the heavy lifting) over having to type some arcane magic syntax that I have to spend 5 minutes googleing again (or check my cheat sheets) to make sure its not going to do nasty things to the server.

Had one guy on our team years ago that deleted an entire project once because he didn't know what he was doing on the command line. I don't know the specifics of it except that there was no backup and the code was deleted permanently. I think he was unfamiliar with rm -dfr and file paths.