1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Verticle GPU mount....Now what to do with the sound card???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by anthonyl, Jan 5, 2022.

1. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

So im looking at getting a new case either the Lian Li 011Dynamic XL or the Thermaltake View 51TG (which comes with a vertical GPU mount) and want to mount my RX6800XT LC (water cooled version) vertically.

The problem I face is my sound card... X-Fi Titanium.

If I mount the GPU vertically i dont think there will be enough room behind the GPU to accommodate the sound card... However.. would it be possible to mount the sound card as well behind the GPU as the GPU mounts allow for 2 GPU card or in my case 1 x GPU and 1 x sound card? I think there are riser cables for the 1X PCI-e slots so that should work?

Has anyone had this dilemma before and if so is it possible to do?

I have tried the on board sound on my ROG STRIX B550 motherboard and it isn't up to the standard of the sound card otherwise I would just use that..

Thank you.

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

You can bring it out behind a 2-slot GPU in a 3-slot vertical mount using something like this mate, but it does mean the PCIE x16 riser cable usually has to drape over the card to reach - not a huge issue on short PCBs, but the X-Fi Titanium is full-height and might get a bit untidy.

Alternatively, there area few types of enclosures to get them outside the box - you still need to mount an expansion port card in the x1 slot, but they're low-profile and the slot cover is only there for stability - could be done away with if you sorted a solid mount in the slot.

I considered going this route to hold onto an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude I was in love with for many years (and just being able to keep a dedicated soundcard in SFF systems) - but migrated away to native USB in the form of the Xonar U7 a few years ago :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Thank you for taking the time to answer... quick question about the Xonar U7 does it provide sound quality like a dedicated sound card would?.. I am currently trying the Realtek software and I have to say it sounds bad compared to the Creative Titanium setup. Also If the sound card is behind the GPU the riser cable shouldn't show I would think.

juzz86 likes this.
  4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I don't recommend the U7 anymore mate, driver support is very limited - there's a Mk II which might improve that, but the U7 and the SB Omni 5.1 are a bit of a struggle under Windows 11.

Are you just using the AKG cans on the soundcard, or do you output to speakers too mate?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  5. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I output to a Presonus HP4 amp and then to the AKG headphones..

Im open to suggestions regarding any other type of sound card / USB etc if there are any?

6. juzz86

juzz86 Member

The only later external sound cards I've really seen mention of in reviews mate are the Sound Blaster X4 (if you can find it) or X3. Both supposed to be very good, X4 is latest top model, X3 subs in as a pared-down version of the X4 - but the X4 comes with a bit more technology and a direct mode for passthrough without DSP, by the looks of it.

There's also the X7, which is older but beefier and reviewed very well - always wanted one but could never find one at the right price. One unit on eBay at the moment for $550 - too rich.

I can't really provide much info on how much 'better' it will sound for you - but 3.5mm line out from standard onboard sound doesn't take a whole lot of beating. There was an appreciable difference in muddiness between my onboard and the U7 or Omni - although I'm back on a Zx card for now (which is also excellent).

If I'm using onboard now, it's optical-out only - and even that's getting harder to find as SPDIF support drops off motherboard IO clusters. Might be time to invest in an X3 myself! :thumbup:

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

There is also the G6 - although I don't know much about it, it would do the same job and looks quite compact :thumbup:

8. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Apologies for the post flutter mate. I noticed the HP4 takes a balanced input - that's going to be tricky to find on anything PC-centric. You would be able to get the balanced output (but not the DSP functions of a Sound Blaster) through something like a Topping D10 (B) - good little bit of gear to get from USB to balanced output, but no software fanciness.

9. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Im happy to ditch whatever I have now for something that can equal the sound I get from the X-Fi Titanium..

Appreciate the feedback and might go check out the PC audio section and check out some threads there.. Cheers mate!

10. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Great place to ask around - lot of people in there far more knowledgeable in good sound than I am mate, but you're very welcome. Good luck on the search! :) :thumbup:

anthonyl likes this.
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I had this very situation with my Creative soundcard, a new 3080 vertically mounted inside a Phanteks Evolve X case on a Asus Striz Z-490-E. Result? It only just fits due to the gpu taking up the only three vertical slots on the Phanteks case and the soundcard being probably one of the slightly smaller less beefy ones. Was a bit worried I might have to ditch the soundcard or go back to gpu horizontal mount as it's just not really something I thought about prior to purchase.

12. Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm wondering about this with my htc vive wireless card that goes into a pci-e slot...
    The vertical mount kit removes the pci slots in the case, and makes them vertical. .. but I don't know if it leaves enough near the top for 1 slim card to fit..?
    To me it looks like it uses all the slots where the pci-e slots are on the mobo...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  13. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

So I just had a thought... what about if I could ALSO mount the sound card vertically as well... googled it and found this:- https://www.amazon.com.au/WLGQ-PCI-...pcie+90+degree+adapter&qid=1644374848&sr=8-36

So it's a 90 degree PCI-e adapter. This would allow the sound card to be mounted vertically behind the vertically mounted GPU and far enough out from the motherboard to allow the Riser cable to be plugged in.

Most vertical GPU mounts have various positions in which to mount the GPU so install it on the furthest slot from the motherboard...

Will order the bits and see how it goes!

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

For what it's worth, onboard sound especially on the higher end mobo's is wonderful these days. I personally use a schiit modi and magni stack anyway, but onboard isn't what it used to be thankfully

JDS Labs Atom is also rated really well if this solution you're now trying doesn't pan out

randomman likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I currently have an Asus ROG STRIX B550-F motherboard and tried the onboard sound..it was pretty "bland" compared to my X-Fi Titanium Fatality sound card. Are there motherboards that have "better" quality sound on board?

I currently output the X-Fi to a PreSonus HP4 AMP that just makes things louder if I want it. If I delete the X-Fi I would want something that has say an "equaliser" to modify the sound to my liking.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

X570's is where you'll get better audio, and non -F / -E boards. Crosshair is where it's at in that regards. If you adjust and play with an equaliser then i think your ultimate source is largely irrelvant tbh since you'll play around with it anyway (and sounds like maybe that's the actual reason why the B550's sounded bland?)

Can easily get external analogue equalisers though also. Schiit offer one that i'm aware of and fits nicely with the stack if you want to fiddle with your audio.

17. Sledge

Sledge Member

Fits where exactly? Got a photo?
    Isn't that what was suggested in the first comment?

randomman likes this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The soundcard behind the gpu mounted vertically. Hard to get a pic really because left case window isn't easily accessible without moving stuff.

Red light behind is the soundcard....gpu takes up the three slots at the back of the case..

20220215_170915.jpg

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

haha yeah a bit too dark..
    So both GPU and SC are vertical yes?
    So you've got a 4x riser cable too?

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!