[Very quick question]Plantronics 777?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by kilebantick, Mar 25, 2011.

1. kilebantick

kilebantick Member

I've got some Plantronics777 headphones at home, and it's advertised to be a 7.1 gaming headset. Now, if i'm playing a game, how do i make it run in "7.1". Do i change the ingame audio to 7.1, or to "headphones"?!

Cheers guys, sorry for the nooby question.

2. doodlala

doodlala Member

pretty sure its only the little usb connector you get with it that makes it 7.1 so if using your headphones through that it will be running as 7.1

3. Tazor

Tazor Member

Mine run in 7.1 without me changing any settings. Might be the sounds card I have though. If your sound card doesn't support 7.1 surround just the dongle.

4. smiddi

smiddi Member

Yes, the ingame settings set to 7.1 will make them run in "7.1 mode".
    The ingame "headphones" setting will run them in 2.0 mode with all the headphone antilogarithms that make it sound like 7.1 anyways.

To test them, set it to one of the above. Jump in the game with a mate or a bot. Close your eyes or turn the monitor off and spin the mouse a few times. Locate the person/bot, etc using hearing only and turn to face them. Open your eyes (or turn the monitor back on) and see how close you are.
    Closing your eyes to rely on hearing only will help you identify the distance an object is from you and the location of the object (or person). You should quickly identify what settings are best using this method.

5. XRaptor

XRaptor Member

I have them and it doesn't really make it sound like 7.1, more like a reverb. This is because the dongle only supports 2 channel input at driver level anyway. So the Dolby headphone DSP can't virtualize it properly giving an "Upsampled" feeling of 2 channel audio.

I don't use the dongle anymore because the audio output for music is not as good as my ancient Audigy 1.

I had the X-Meridian 2G once and tried it with these headphones, and it was FANTASTIC, also with the Dolby Headphone that comes with the C-Media driver set was breathtaking. I got rid of it due to an issue I was having with the surround sound output for my speakers.

Can't imagine what it would be like with the Essence ST.

6. KriiV

KriiV Member

I am using them right now. Great set, I definitely recommend them. The USB Card is amazing, makes music sound much better too.

7. lithos

lithos Member

Welcome to the world of Dolby Surround. Dolby Surround relies on room reverb to smooth panning between channels, and that's what Dolby Headphone simulates.

It was never really meant for precise 3D audio positioning, mostly for adding ambiance.

8. XRaptor

XRaptor Member

This is true. However, when using Dolby Headphone technology on a C-Media audio codec, the DSP can receive up to 7.1 audio. And I've done tests. and the positioning is amazing, unlike what comes included with this headset.

9. lithos

lithos Member

Hmmm. Maybe there's a significant change in how each speaker's treated in 7.1 from 5.1.

Still, that doesn't solve the issue of vertical sound placement.

10. OP
    OP
    kilebantick

kilebantick Member

What is this, C-media Audio codec you speak of. Is it a hardware requirement, or it is a nifty piece of 1's and 0's i can download?

11. lithos

lithos Member

Nay, alas, it be a a piece of silicon.

12. lithos

lithos Member

Well, more specifically, it IS probably a simple piece of software, but that specific one would probably refuse to work if it didn't detect a C-Media chip on your system.

You'd be better off finding wrappers to use the .dll files from Powerlink or something, that's how it works in Foobar.

13. OP
    OP
    kilebantick

kilebantick Member

I'm very sorry friend, but that was jibberish to me o.o