VGA monitor 'clunks' with every resolution change

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by badmofo, Jun 16, 2019.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've got this really nice Acer AF705 VGA CRT here, 17" flatscreen that I bought NOS a while back. The picture quality is great but it makes this hideous, mechanical 'clunk' sound with every resolution change and it really annoys me. I want to use it with my PS1 for example (RetroTink, etc) but some PS1 games flip back and forth b/w resolutions a lot as you navigate through menus, etc. Clunk, clunk, clunk.

I works perfectly so I'm assuming this is by design, but is there anything that can be done? Could I for example replace component X with an equivalent but silent component Y?

Ta.

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Those sounds are completely normal with many CRT monitors. A lot of NEC Multisync models and my old Microvitec 1438 unit I had for my Amiga did that all the time.

I like to think that it adds to the aesthetic. :)

adz likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A CRT works by deflecting an electron beam using electromagnets.

On older CRTs, a resolution change often meant than the picture geometry needed readjusting. Width/height/position settings for one resolution were off for another.

Newer digital CRTs stored user settings, and could switch to these saved settings on resolution change.

The clicking sound you hear is the rapid switching of the electromagnets and other componentry switching to these saved geometry settings. Perfectly normal.

Can you change it? Not that I know of. Modding CRTs is difficult because generally the whole thing works as a cohesive unit. Change something important, and it has downstream effects. But, who knows, maybe it's possible. Not something I've seen anyone attempt though.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Lord Belial likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Message received thanks guys, I will suck it up and be thankful I have such a nice monitor :thumbup:

elvis likes this.
  5. bYrd

bYrd Member

Other explanations aside, it's not degaussing every resolution change, is it? More a "donk" sound with often a wobble and flicker of the display. Sometimes you can turn off periodic dagaussing in menu settings

6. power

power Member

ahhh, takes me back

adz likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Nar defs not a degauss, it's a click / clunk. You can degauss via the menu obviously but there's no option for periodic. It's done it since I've owned it and as I mentioned it's basically unused.

8. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I've got a viewsonic crt that makes the clunks OP mentioned upon resoluton change AND the donks from degaussing.

I've had it since brand new in 2004 and it's always done it.
    so nothing to worry about... enjoy the retro noises and quirks while you can.

They're some of the most satisfying sounds computer parts can make, like floppy drives from the late 80's.... MMMMMMM!!!

9. elvis

BRB updating the retro FAQ pages with official sound descriptions...

FIREWIRE1394 and adz like this.
  10. Phido

Phido Member

Had an old MAG monitor that used to do this. I think they are programmed to degauss when changing res. Mine sounded like someone bloody hit the thing with a book. It was loud. Some people liked it, as it tended to be the quality monitors that did this.

11. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

I've switched to a nice LG Flattron now - old clunky has a slightly nicer image perhaps but the LG looks great and switches quietly.

I had a NOS Sony Trinitron up until a couple of years ago but gave it away in one of my zen "all of these possessions are weighing on my soul" moments. Historical me is an idiot.

Phido likes this.
  12. elvis

Ask me why I hoard.

13. Grant

Grant Member

Most people that use Linux on the desktop use something related to the Ubuntu project, which earned its fame for focusing on user experience very early on. One of the big technical challenges over the last 10 years was to make desktop Linux boot in a way that stops the CRT clunking every time the resolution changes, but between Red Hat and Ubuntu a huge amount of work (still ongoing for other technical benefits) was put in to fix this: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-flicker-free-boot