VGA Multiviewer 2x2, 3x3, 4x4

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by linuxvirg, Jul 1, 2015.

1. linuxvirg

linuxvirg Member

Apologies if this is a really stupid question but can anyone explain how much work would be involved and costs of parts for making a 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 VGA to VGA multiviewer from scratch?

I thought I saw a website with an open source design for one but can no longer find it or not sure if it was for this purpose or not.

The goal is to be able to display the VGA output of 4, 9 or 16 pcs on 1 monitor at the same time. All the one's I see for sale are very expensive.

The inelegant alternative is what we have now, lots of monitors, taking up lots of room, using lots of power and just looking :sick:

2. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

Have you thought about a security camera system?

Do the PCs need local access as well?

Have you considered RDP?

3. blued

blued Member

If its VGA you're in a much better position than DVI/HDMI.

As stated, have a look into the security camera side of things.

Alternatively, you may get away with some VGA to USB adapters running simultaneously.

4. OP
    OP
    linuxvirg

linuxvirg Member

Yes, we actually have an old spare security camera system. The problem is, it is RF and BNC. From what I understand we would need to buy 16 RF modulators to convert the VGA from 16 PC's in order for the security system to see them all ($$). It would be alot cheaper than a multiviewer for sure but not sure which RF modulator to buy. Then we have to have power, BNC and VGA cables for each modulator. Doable but not ideal.

I'm not sure what you mean by local access. RDP wouldn't work because the PC's are running automated tests in multiple environments, DOS, Windows, etc, and we just need to make sure they haven't hung or BSOD etc.

blued: How would the VGA to USB adapters work?

It looks like an open source multiviewer would be a bit of a stretch :(

5. mtma

mtma Member

You won't really have any less legs of cabling in the end, only shuffle it around.

As with the VGA to RF converters, you will need to make sure that they can convert the resolutions that your computers are going to feed into it correctly. I think adapting a security system is the main COTS solution that won't cost more than 16 small monitors.

A dumb switch that rolls through the signals at full-screen could be a more basic alternative.

6. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

By 'local access', I meant does a local user need simultaneous access.
    RDP is it's standard form does not allow local control while a session is up. There is a workaround, but as RDP isn't suitable, it's not helpful either.

How about one of the VNC variants?

7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

VNC, too ez.

If the machines are on a network you could also try doing some kind of heartbeat and then triggering an e-mail alert or some such if one doesn't respond.

Are the older legacy boxes connected to any similar era hardware to perform the tasks? How are they dispersed physically?

8. OP
    OP
    linuxvirg

linuxvirg Member

Thanks for the replies.

Apologies for the late response, forgot to check back to see if there were any more ideas.

I'm afraid a software solution wont work.

I'll try out the VGA->RF Modulator->security system to see if it will work. Hopefully the different resolutions from different OSes wont be an issue.

9. HeXa

HeXa Member

10. MrCupHolder

MrCupHolder Member

What about a KVM that cycles through all the PC's connected? I think I recall my old KVM could be set to cycle through the PC's.

Does mean that you can't see all PC's at once but then you may be able to pick up some old KVM's for next to nothing being over the years a lot of places will have gone from having a ton of physical PC's to only a few Hosts with lots of guests.