VHS Tape to DVD Recording

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by glenpinn, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:45 PM.

1. neRok

neRok Member

Straight to DVD is not the best choice, as others have pointed out. The compression will wreck it.

If the bloke who wants this done has lots of time and a decent computer, he can do all that himself. There's lots of free programs/scripts out there to nut your way through.

2. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

The big problem is any copy / conversion using VHS to DVD or computer copy requires real time conversion. So your going to sit there for weeks doing all of them.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Set and forget, for each tape, surely.

4. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

50 tapes at 3 a day equals a couple of weeks. By then you will have forgotten what your waiting for. And just pray you don't get a power cut

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes the time is there but you're not sitting there watching it as it tapes for all those hours. Set and forget. Come back some other time, get new tape, set and forget, rinse, repeat.

6. nico6

nico6 Member

VHS always looked pretty rubbish, all things considered, by today's standards. I doubt any fancy equipment will help, unless you get right into the retro thing and play the DVDs on your old AWA CRT TV :)

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

I have no clue why, but my videos that I copied into the computer came out better than playing the tape. Something in the machine made them better (no, i'm not imagining things, the tape is all grainy and horrible, how you'd expect, and the video file is pretty good.

8. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

It is very uncommon for any video from a VHS tape to look better just by dubbing from a VHS player onto a DVD disk, however some VCR/DVD combo recorders have a built in TBC unit (Time Base Correction) which does enhance the video as it is copied over to the DVD, and stabilize it as well, among other corrections, so maybe this was the case in your situation.

9. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

You are correct, all VHS and Mini DV tapes must be transferred in "real time" so a 3 hour tape takes 3 hours to transfer to computer or burnt direct to dvd, but you don't need to be sitting there twiddling your fingers waiting for each tape to finish, if you did this a 3 hour VHS tape would cost $150 just for the recording, editing or correction work will double that cost.

Many professional companies that do this type of work use multi tape decks and multiple dvd burners set up so they can transfer multiple tapes at a time.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

I just do the tape to the disc and then from the disc to the PC, maybe the PC has some fancy-schmancy improvement stuff in it? I don't know, all I know is that my VHS movies look pretty good in the computer.

11. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Sounds dodgy to me. Better quality recordings were made with the VCRs that didn't do 'long play', they recorded a wider track.
    I've tried using a SVHS VCR thinking a S-Video connection to my ADVC300 would get more chroma but nope. Realistically what matters most is the quality of what's on the tape. I've transferred some corporate VHS tapes that were mastered on high end kit and they looked so much better than any home movie of the same vintage.
    If you really want to go down a deep hole there are plugins for vDub that can some amazing restorations, almost 'CSI'. for the majority of people the combos turn out a good enough job and they do have a built in TBC. Only advice I can add is don't try to fit 3 hours onto a single layer DVD.

12. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Correct, the more VHS video put onto DVD ends up with lower bitrate, lower quality, and i always tried to maintain at least 8Mbps for VHS (up to 1.5 hours) and 6Mb for Mini DV tape ()up to 2 hours)
    I used an ADVC 300 and 500 between a panasonic tape deck on a Panasonic Recorder for direct burning, and connected the ADVC unit to the Computer for Digitizing the files in Mpeg2 onto the Hard Drive for editing/authoring or conversion to MP4.