VIA 4in1 drivers: install all four?

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by loko, Jul 24, 2001.

1. loko

loko Member

someone told me b4 the via drivers for IDE werent as good as the windows drivers.. has this changed? or should i just install some of em?

2. Manaz

Manaz (Damned or Belated)

That's what I've been told - though I got told that after I installed all of them on my Win2K system. :p

3. OP
    OP
    loko

loko Member

so which drivers should i install? leave out just IDE?

4. Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

well apparently if you use the IDE from Via you get slower performance in Win2k (fine in ME/9x as far as I know) but that was when the drivers were at 4.28 when that problem was around, but it still may be the case. Just install all but the IDE if you want (or if IDE is ok as is - hard disk performance) otherwise I would just install all 4 and put Service Pack 1 then 2 on.

5. OP
    OP
    loko

loko Member

thanks.. im running winme.. and soon to dual boot a win2k... ill probly go back to 98se as well... ill take your advice and just go with VIA... cant be that big a drop in performance anyways...

6. MoRpHeUs

MoRpHeUs Member

dont install ide drivers with 4in1 and win2k. just trust me, and i mean if u are worried u cant loose anything. only better performance

7. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

I second that opinion.

In Win2k do NOT install the 4.32 ide driver unless you're experiencing SBLive probs. It's slower than the drivers bundled with SP2.

8. OP
    OP
    loko

loko Member

what bout for win98 se?

9. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

definitely install the ide drivers for Win98SE

10. Addict4

Addict4 Member

I second that for win 98se to many probs without m8.Crashing every five minutes is not a pleasurable experience.

11. OP
    OP
    loko

loko Member

crashing every 5 mins? i didnt install the via ide driver... but it seems allrite... by the way .. its called atapi drivers now ... yes? but since u guys reckon thats the way to go... then ill be installin it pretty soon

12. grimraeper

grimraeper (Banned or Deleted)

What if your running SP1 not SP2? Are the IDE drivers bundled with that better than the VIA's?

I wish I knew about this before I installed them :(

13. paulhoopen

paulhoopen Member

So using via 4 in 1 could cause my speed drop!

I'm using win2k installed via 4 in 1 V4.32final and after that Sp2
    Before this
    My sytem was running win98se with via 4 in 1 V4.32final and I had overall around 10% higher scores in sandra sisoft 2001Te
    like dry/whet 3923/1925 win98se now around 3800/1875 win2k

Would uninstall via 4 in 1 and reinstall Sp2 solve all this and will I get higher scores again and How to uninstall via 4 in 1 there is no option in add/remove software

So this could all be causing my pc to run this slowwww

14. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

No... in fact with SP1's bundled drivers ATA100 drives aren't recognized properly on the KT133a chipset. Use the 4in1's if you're running SP1. You should really upgrade to SP2... it includes a couple of other VIA/AMD fixes

I doubt it, those figures you quoted are from Sandra's cpu benchmark. The 4in1 ide driver only affects the drive benchmark.

I'm pretty sure that to uninstall the 4in1 driver all you have to do is run the 4in1 setup program again and untick the ATAPI driver option.

15. synaptyca

synaptyca Member

similar problems...

I'm having similar problems (though I can't reall offer a solution).

I have a KT7 that I recently installed W2K on. I installed the OS, then then SP2, then (foolishly so it seems) the 4.32 4-in-1's. I have two HD's on the prmary IDE channel, one gets recognized as Ultra DMA, the other as PIO 4 :(((( The sandra disk benchmark takes hours to run and comes up with performance equallying a ZIP drive or something which is a bit dissapointing really. The ACER CDRW on the other IDE channel gets recognized as DMA fine though.

I'm not sure how to get rid of the via drivers. I tried re-installed SP2 but that didn't make any difference. Unticking the checkboxes on the via install didn;t seem to work either. I have a nasty feeling i may have to start from scratch...

any more ideas??