Via C7 CPU vs Core Duo

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by BGH, Feb 14, 2008.

1. BGH

BGH Member

I'm in the planning stages of a new carputer and can't decide between a system using a 2ghz Via C7 CPU or an Intel Core Duo Mac Mini. The mini is going to end up costing a lot more, but I can't seem to find any reliable benchmarks between the two. Any opinions on the matter?

2. jezza323

jezza323 Member

C2D will shit all over the C7

but its a carputer, how much processing power do u really need?

3. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

Yeah I am leaning towards the mac mini.

My old carputer was 1ghz and it was fine for 90% of the things it had to do. But started to get a bit flustered when adding more CPU intensive stuff like voice recognition, constant video recording/encoding from front mounted camera, higher res movies etc

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

As above, there's no comparison between the two. I'd guess that the Core Duo will be at least twice as fast clock-for-clock in single-CPU applications. In any multithreaded task (or just running lots of tasks at once), it'll be much more than twice as fast.

It might be worth having a look at two things:

(1) The Intel mini-ITX boards. They've got a Core-architecture Celeron onboard which would offer decent performance.

(2) Wait for the Via Isaiah, which will be far quicker than the C7 (possibly almost as fast as a Core-based CPU if it's not doing multitasking).

5. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

Thanks for the help guys but I picked up a mini yesterday :)

6. stalin

stalin (Taking a Break)

why did you post for advice, if you waited 1 day and bought whatever you wanted anyway?

7. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

If he is human, like most of us, he probably thought it would be smart to ask for advice, but then just couldn't control himself and bought spontaneously :D

Either way enjoy, hope it does what you want.

8. stalin

stalin (Taking a Break)

If hes not human, hes some pretty good AI ;-)

9. Beavy

Beavy Member

Now that you've made the purchase, how about some screenshots and a log of sorts? What's your interface going to be? Screen? Mounting? :D

10. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

Well I was almost sold on the mini and then one person confirmed my suspicions that it would dick all over the C7. Then a good deal came up on eBay that day so I took the opportunity to pick it up.

Yeah I will try and keep a log. I told myself I would do that in the last carputer I built but kept on forgetting to take photos along the way :(

Screen is going to be one of the 2008 Lilliput LED backlit 7" ones. Bit sceptical about it as there isn't much info on it yet but I guess I can be a guinea pig. Going to mold it into the dash this time round for that OEM look as opposed to last time when I used an in-dash motorised screen. Interface will be Centrafuse, it's the most professional and robust I have used. It's good for Australian use as the integrated nav is compatible with Aussie maps. Havent decided on mounting yet. Will either be under the passenger seat or in the glovebox.