VIA Eden-N - Tiniest x86 Processor available

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by PersianImmortal, Oct 15, 2003.

1. till

till Member

Heh, I cant exactly tell you like that, I *sell* them!

I guess whim me, but I wouldnt say in the forum, I dont need a ban for advertising =))

till

2. DDsD

DDsD @DDsD

[​IMG]

The red circle is where i believe they are talking about, It appears to be akin to a shrunken PCI *like* slot design which you would insert an upright daughterboard into.

IIRC there was a series of Gigabyte boards recently which had the power circutry on a vertically mounted daughterboard too, so its not that alien of a design given space limitations.

The alternative is the Blue circle in the picture above, but that does not fit the daughtercard description very well. Rather looking like an smaller ATX style connection.

3. nwatts

nwatts Member

The red circled area seems like the only place it could fit on the board, but you'd think the passive heatsinks would take up that room? I'm not too sure.

The gigabyte boards in question have their DPS system thingo on a seperate board that plugs into a slot on the motherboard. I'm not sure of the usefulness of them however.

4. uberbanzai

uberbanzai Member

Just gives cleaner power.

5. gavinnorthants

gavinnorthants Member

It looks like the power supply is in the top left of the boared, but instead of having a atx plug it has pins instead. You probably get a converter with mother bored.

6. nwatts

nwatts Member

Looks like a SATA connector to me :).

7. pippin88

pippin88 Member

It's acceptable to have your site/store in your signature, and to post about it occaisonally I believe, just so long as you don't do it often and don't spam it.

8. DukeMurMur

DukeMurMur (Banned or Deleted)

that lil thing is a beast. i bet with a blue orb or the likes on it u will be able to get 1.4 to 1.5 out of it that is if they allow it in the bios. or even if they supply a bios that will let u change the fsb or multi. more lickly then not they won't

9. rage

rage Member

With pretty much everyone having little or no knowledge/experience with these nano-itx CPUs i'd say you're talking out your arse. The reccomendation of a blue orb certainly does augment that.

Misinformation is worse than no information.

10. DukeMurMur

the reasone for the blue orb u ass is because of its size and can run on the mobos voltage. and the cpus use what .13 arcictecture so the oc is pretty much set if u can keep the heat low. u can have all the fun u want trying to get something larger then a blue orb or other to mount on it. as it seems that it alread has a mounting hole next to the cpu. so fuke u range are u allowed to say fuck in here or will the post get pulled. lol or that hole could be for puting the mobo in the case.:shock:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  11. DukeMurMur

so should not have posted that post as ur info is just as likly as mine to be wrong. and i would like to know what u would put on it for a hs as any thing els would be to large. and the blue orb is rated to handle over what 20w of heat and it only put out 7w and then oc with v up probly lil over 20 or 25 so even the blu orb may not be enough depends on its operating temps.

12. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

I'm sure if he was going to use a heatsink on it he would use something like the zalman northbridge heatsinks.

Rage is pretty spot on too. You are speculating with no real basis for speculation.

13. DukeMurMur

yes as this is true but dont u thin though that a gpu cooler ie blue orb would cool beter then a chipset cooler as they are normaly more aggresive in fin design and choice of fan. how would u get it to stay jooc would u epoxy it on :D

14. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

The Zalman northbridge coolers have brackets for mounting holes. The blue orb may be cooled actively but the actual heatsink design is crap. On top of that I am pretty sure the blue orb isn't sold anymore.

Anyway this thread is going off topic ... :Paranoid:

15. DukeMurMur

blue orbs are still sold i bought one the other day. and we arn't getting off topice we are talking about oc the chip and we said what we would use for cooling. so the zalman is passive right so u coudl slap that on and get a 40mm fan with like 20-30 cfm and go to town oc it. i made a trick gpu cooler from a 20 cfm 40mm fan and a pII hs i think. but i could not get it to fit on my gf4 420mx so i butcherd it for hs for my mem on my Quardo 750 xgl. i am selling that for a 9800xt 256 i can't wait. then i am getting a soyo kt 600 mobo and a barton 2500 and a vapor chill setup. can't wait also xms pro 512 corsair pc 4000 mem. c now that is off topic:D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  16. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Sorry but I honestly can't understand what you wrote.

17. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Neither can I, but I'm pretty sure it's off topic, so back to Eden-N talk please.

18. DukeMurMur

no i don't think that they will be out until sometime in 05 probly the 2-3 quarter that is my guess anyone feel free to correct. but as of now they arn't out yet

19. nwatts

nwatts Member

Why do you say that? Reports have said that VIA may start production as early as late Q1 next yeah. I'll dig up those links for you later tonight.

Back to the overclocking bit just for a minute. Banzai had one of the original EDEN's and he ended up pushing his approx. 150mhz past stock. Useing regular cooling (I think). Now there's really not much hope of any CPU this small, or of this type pushing a 400, 500mhz overclock.

Overclock's aren't always "heat dependent" as you seem to think they are. I have a shiny 2400+ here that willl completely flake out at around 2450mhz, even though it's still at a reasonable temperature which from memory was 49 deg. If the specific archeicture of these Eden-N's is anything like the older VIA SFF CPU's then we can all pretty much guarentee little or no overclocking.

And you'd have to look at what the point would be to overclock it anyway? Would you see much performance gain?? We don't know...

20. Fodder

Fodder (Banned or Deleted)

I'm fairly sure there would be a performance gain, but shit-slow times two is still shit-slow. :)