VIA EPIA NX15000G Nano ITX Motherboard w/VIA C7 1.5G

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Quan-Time, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

[​IMG]
    VIA homepage

Ebay link for ~$300 USD delivered ($250 + $50 post)

Im looking into a carputer and thinking more and more about how this mobo will do what i want. I want it to be fairly small, 12cm X 12cm will fit into where i want (just) and ill make my own case to fit. The main question i have is:

Is it possible to run the OS off a thumbdrive on these mobos ? They have a IDE pinout, which i can install a cdrom or whatever to install nix / win, but can i install it to a ~4gb thumbdrive, aka "eee pc USB hub mod" so its all solid state, no moving parts, minimal heat / power consumption ? I DONT want a HDD on this unit, it must be small as possible, and no moving parts because of vibrations.

The reason i want something a bit more powerful is, its got to run megasquirt (fairly easy) and GPS software (roadrunner + destinator6). Its also got to fit... in a motorbike glove box (think "under pillion seat")

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. kogi

kogi Member

Very easy with unix, Harder with windows as you have to hack/patch a bit. Instead of a flash drive you can also use an ide -> compact flash adapter.

kogi

3. scruff

scruff RIP

You can install ubuntu onto a flash drive. Even with MiniUbuntu, I found that you need a drive that's 2gb or greater.

If you want to go down the CF route, I have a CF->IDE adaptor I can sell you for $2pp.

4. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

whats the speed like with a ide->CF and a "high speed" card ? your limited to the IDE bandwidth aint you ?

I only asked because my desktop (one im on now) is only a amd 939 DFI mobo, but i can boot / install to USB no problems if i choose.

The IDE->CF path might be a very valid idea. Thanx for the offer scruff, but until i start getting hardware, ill pass atm. Im more or less doing "homework" to make sure everything will work the way i want rather than wasting money on something that wont work.

cheers for your advise.

5. Angusp

Angusp Member

I just got a 1.8" CF<>ATA adaptor for a laptop I have with a tiny 1.8" (ipod) HDD.

I got a 280x (speed) 8gb CF card for $50au and the adapter was less than $5au

I haven't got them yet so can't post results.

6. scruff

scruff RIP

The speed of CF->IDE would be dependant on the card you got, I suppose. I haven't actually used mine as MiniUbuntu wouldn't install on the 512mb card I have, so I just used my USB flash drive before I pulled the box apart.

I dare say it'd be much higher than USB, and has the added advantage of being an IDE device, so you *should* have greater hardware compatibility.

With that said, I was using one of the $20 eBay VIA Mini ITX boards and it booted fine from USB. The only problem was it'd take ~ 15 minutes to boot MiniUbuntu from USB.

7. kogi

kogi Member

http://www.usboot.org/
    This will give get your windows XP to boot from a usb drive.

Using a cf->ide will let you skip the above rigmarole

Speed will be dependent on the actual thumb drive or the cf card.

ie my corsair flash voyager will do 29 MB/s , which is much less than the IDE spec.

Angusp: Where did you buy the card from?

kogi

8. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

uh, so even tho USB drives are "solid state", and usb2 is... 480mbps ? you still get bugger all speed, but a good quality ~20gb CF card in a IDE->CF should yield better results, because CF is faster (more pin-outs ?) and IDE will still sustain it ok ?

Is there a difference between SATA / IDE speeds nower days ? i remember when sata 1st came out, it was 150mbps, instead of the 133, but id be damned if i could find a hdd that would ever go that fast..

SATA->CF ? is that possible ? or IDE->CF more than enough ?

------
    EDIT
    -----
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is one card, supports 2 CFs on it, obviously the old Master / Slave routine.. Nice option.

[​IMG]
    Its also obvious that the SATA varient exists, would need to get a mini PSU that supports the power input tho..

[​IMG]
    Sandisk Extreme III 8gb

They claim 20mb min (im guessing sustained) so i dunno how well CF will compare to a USB stick.. BUT most CF readers are on USB remember.. so maybe that has an effect ? any ideas ?

Honestly, its not like this is going to be a file server.. So speed shouldnt matter THAT much, but i dont want winxp (the OS ill be using) to lag out like a pig.
    Obviously ill be stripping it down as much as possible..

CF VS usb reader comparison chart
    WOW !! that list is an eye opener.. The Sandisk extreme IV (the FASTEST card they make) 8gb was gay on sooo many USB devices, but on a firewire 800 reader, it got 38meg/s.. but 6meg/s on Lexar reader, then 16meg on another model lexar CF reader.. very interesting..

As for 280x compact flash, look it up on ebay, theres a bunch of "no name" brand ones, they are blue.. but yer.. for the price, and 280x (claimed) tis good..

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  9. scruff

scruff RIP

Yeah, I've always found massive differences in the speeds I've been able to read from various USB devices. I guess it has to do with the controller on your mobo, the controller on the device, the actual speed of the memory chips, the memory chip config, et al.

CF has a parallel interface which isn't necessarily any better than a serial interface.

I dare say that the main issue with USB drives is how many layers of control the data has to go through. There is the hardware control on the USB device, the USB hub (possibly a few of these, even if they are internal. They'll also split the bandwidth, making the max speed slower), the motherboard USB controller. Then there is software which will take a generic USB device driver and wrap it in a Mass Storage abstraction layer, which will get abstracted with another softwarea layer to make it a drive, etc. There's too many parts that have to work together for it to work 100% at full speed.... and software can have a lot to do with it.

IDE on the other hand doesn't really split bandwidth and has better hardware support from a storage device point of view. File ops are handled by the BIOS and so the software abstraction layer is much, much smaller.

I guess Firewire is similar (minus the BIOS support).

10. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

hmm.. I have an idea.. I think in a fortnight (*sigh*, need monies) ill get a IDE 2x CF reader thing, and 2 generic 280x 8gb CF cards.

I have a 24" Dell 2407 (rev2) and test the CF speed, and then test it on IDE, and use the "high speed" CF card i use in the D70 (Lexar Pro 4gb), and on the Canon scanner / printer combo i have, which has its own built in CF reader for direct printing, or copying to HDD.
    So thats 3 methods, and have 2 computers to try it all out on.

Would be interesting for everyone i think, to see which is the fastest method, if any, and post the results up for everyone to see if the different cards / readers really make a stick of difference.

Thanx again for your help / advise, its been really good to learn about this stuff.

11. bryn

bryn Member

12. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

that i didnt know.. you would think they all would.

Thanx for the info ! most useful..