1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

VIA Hyperion Driver Guide/FAQ

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by PersianImmortal, Dec 24, 2001.

1. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

VIA HYPERION DRIVER GUIDE/FAQ

This guide is no longer being updated here. The latest version lives here.

What Are The VIA Hyperion Drivers? - The VIA Hyperions are a driver package for your VIA chipset-based motherboard. They enhance overall system performance and stability. The VIA Hyperions were introduced on 6th December 2002. Before that time, VIA developed a driver package named the "VIA 4in1 drivers" which was essentially the same package of drivers. The VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers continue that tradition, and have retained the version naming sequence, starting at version 4.45. Gradually the "4in1" part is being dropped and they are now simply referred to as the "Hyperions".

Where Can I Download VIA Drivers? - All Official VIA Drivers can be downloaded from VIA Arena the Official VIA Support Site. Older (and beta) versions of VIA drivers are also available at Guru3D.

Which Drivers Are In The Hyperion Package? - Just like the 4in1 driver package, the Hyperion includes four system drivers to improve the performance and stability of systems using VIA chipsets - especially the latest KT4## and P4X4## VIA chipsets.

What Do The VIA Hyperion Drivers Each Do? - The Hyperion package automatically detects your operating system and will install only what is necessary. The four drivers have the following function:

VIA Registry (INF) Driver - Enables the VIA Power Management function. Installed on Win98/ME, Win2K, WinXP.

VIA AGP Vxd Driver - Provides service routines to your VGA driver and interface directly to hardware, providing fast graphical access. Installed on Win98/ME, Win2K, WinXP.

VIA IDE Filter driver - Enables the performance enhancing bus mastering functions on ATA-capable Hard Disk Drives and ensures IDE device compatibility. (Also known as the ATAPI Vendor Support Driver). Installed on Win98/ME, Win2K, WinXP.

VIA PCI IRQ Miniport Driver - Sets the system's PCI IRQ routing sequence for Win98 only.

VIA IDE Bus Master Driver - Enables performance enhancing bus mastering functions for WinNT only.

Do I Have To Install The Latest Version of The VIA Hyperions? - The short answer is no, you don't have to install the latest Hyperion drivers unless you have a very recent VIA chipset (like the KT400, K8T800, P4X400 or newer) - in which case yes you should definitely upgrade, both for added performance, greater stability and compatibility. If you're using Windows XP, it already has an older default version of the main VIA drivers built in and will install them when it detects your VIA motherboard. This XP default version should work just fine with all but the latest VIA motherboards. However each newer version of the Hyperion drivers may contain fixes for particular applications and games, so if you're having problems running a program with older 4in1s then it may be necessary to update your VIA drivers.

Windows 95/98/98SE Users: VIA recommend that since Win95/98/98SE are now relatively old operating systems, the current Hyperions are no longer optimized for those operating systems. They recommend that users of VIA chipsets who run Win95/98/98SE use an older version of the 4in1s, such as version 4.43

64-bit Users: If you have a 64-bit based system (e.g. Athlon64) and you are using a 64-bit Operating System then you can use the 64-bit version of the Hyperions. Note that these are only for 64-bit based computers, and should not be used by anyone else. If you don't have a 64-bit CPU and/or you aren't using a 64-bit operating system then install the normal Hyperions.

How Do I Install The Hyperions Correctly? - This is incredibly simple. Download the driver package into an empty folder. Run the executable and follow the prompts. For most users select "Quick install" and it will not prompt you for which drivers to install/uninstall - it will simply install the correct drivers for your system. For advanced users select "Normal Install" and manually choose which drivers you want to install/uninstall. Once the drivers are installed, reboot your machine as requested and the drivers are now updated.

That's it. There's no trickery required. It is very important that you don't run the Hyperion package in Win2K Compatibility Mode or in Safe Mode, as this can result in the wrong drivers being installed for your system.

If you get an error like "Windows can't run 16bit program" when trying to run the driver package then don't panic. Simply reboot your machine and the package should run fine the next time you try. This is not a compatibility problem, just a problem with the temp files when the package first unzips itself.

The Hyperions should be installed on all VIA Systems.

How Do I Check The VIA Driver Versions On My System? - If you want to check whether the components of the Hyperion package have installed correctly, whether you have the latest driver versions, or if you just want to manually update individual devices, do the following:

Hyperion/4in1 Version:
    To check which version of the Hyperions/4in1s you have installed, go to Start>Run and type "Regedit" (without quotes). Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key (click the + next to it). Expand the SOFTWARE Key and scroll down to the Via4in1Driver folder and click on it. You should see an entry called "4in1 Version" with the version number next to it (e.g. 4.53 for the latest Hyperions). The Viamach entry refers to the INF Driver version (2.20 is the latest).

Individual Device Checking/Updating
    To check and/or update individual devices, go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager. Then check the following devices by right clicking on each, selecting Properties>Driver. Versions shown below are for the latest Hyperions under WinXP with SP1:

Provider for all: VIA Technologies, Inc.

IDE Filter Driver
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers> VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Version: 5.1.2600.120 (<--- Version 1.20a)

AGP Driver
    System Devices> VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    Version: 5.1.0.3443 (<--- Version 4.43AP1)

INF Driver
    System Devices> VIA Standard CPU to PCI Bridge
    Version: 5.1.0.220 (<--- Version 2.20a)

Note: You may see slightly different version numbers. You should only really take note of the last few digits of the driver to see the driver's version.

If you've installed the Hyperion Drivers as advised and your versions don't appear to be updated for your OS (e.g. the provider is listed as Microsoft or the last 3 numbers are different) then you can update each device manually by doing the following:

1. Manually unzip the Hyperion Driver package. Even if the package is an .exe file, you can extract the contents using Winzip. Simply run Winzip, choose Open and point it to the Hyperion .exe file, and extract the contents to an empty folder.

2. Go to the relevant device in Device Manager (see above) then choose Update Driver>"Install from a list or specific location">"Don't search, I will choose the driver to install">Have Disk and manually point Windows to the folder where you unzipped the package. You may have to find a subfolder with the correct driver .inf file (e.g. the IDEWinXP Folder).

3. Reboot as requested and check the driver version. It should be updated now.

What About Other VIA Drivers? - You should install the Hyperions to begin with. However if your system has other VIA components, or you're still experiencing problems, try the following:

-If you have VIA Onboard Audio instead of a separate sound card, install the VIA Audio Drivers

-If you are using an integrated graphics chipset and not a separate graphics card, you will need to install the VIA Graphics Controller Drivers

-If you have an integrated Ethernet controller or NIC, you should install the VIA Networking Drivers

-If you have a RAID drive configuration, install the VIA RAID Drivers

-For USB problems, install the VIA USB Drivers

- Don't install the old 3014 Miniport drivers. They are not necessary for most systems. If your system identifies your IDE drives as SCSI, or you have a long black screen on loadup, then you've installed these drivers. Go into Add/Remove programs and remove them.

- Don't install the AGP Drivers separately, as the latest version of these is contained in the new Hyperion package and is installed as part of that package. Don't try to install older versions of the AGP Driver over the newer Hyperions.

Audio Problems - A common problem, especially on older VIA chipsets is audio problems such as crackling and hissing. If you're experiencing such problems with audio or poor audio performance, try the Latency Patch v0.19 or beta version 0.20. You can download this directly from the patch author: George E Breese's Website. George also has a Creative SoundBlaster Live!/Audigy soundcard patch which should reduce any audio crackling with these cards on a VIA chipset. Check it out here

General System Optimization - Finally, it is highly recommended that you check out my comprehensive WinXP Tweak Guides, System Optimization Guide, ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide and so on under the TweakGuides System Guides section, because in almost every case I've seen, what people think are problems caused by VIA Drivers are actually general system optimization issues, so make sure you follow the tweak guides first before blaming the drivers.

Keep coming back as I update this guide for new versions of the Hyperions.

Thanks to Koroush Ghazi / PersianImmortal for the original.

Keep coming back as I update this guide.

- Rob / Fodder

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  2. Chronos

Chronos Member

excelent :D

this is just what i wanted :D

thanx PersianImmortal!

3. Avidin

Avidin Member

Re: Via Driver Recommendations

Can I just ask what is so horribly bad about this driver?

I have installed, yes my IDE hd's are showing up as SCSI (so what they work as normal), yes I get a long black screen on loadup (cept the bit before that is significantly shorter than before). Other than that, neither of which I see as an incredible downside what is wrong with them?

Apart from that, everything else looks sweet, good work.

4. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Because my friend, I installed them and exactly the same thing happened, and I thought "Well everything's working so why get upset?" Well here's why: Your performance is suffering for it.

You don't have write caching on the IDE drives, in particular your hard drive speed will suffer, you probably don't have the correct UDMA mode on your drives, you may have problems burning CDs...in fact CloneCD will probably not recognise your CDRW if you have one. Nero 5.5.5.1 works most of the time, but not always...ETC ETC.

Uninstall these drivers and VIOLA! The problem goes away. Why have them at all? The 4.37 4-in-1s do the job by themselves and my performance is 100% Sandra HD benchmark of 71000! HDTach average of 31000kps, Burst speed 80MB/S + (goes off the chart).

Only when you uninstall these drivers will you be able to set the UDMA mode under System>Hardware>Device Manager>Primary IDE Channel>Advanced Settings (same for Secondary IDE Channel).

And go to System>Hardware>Device Manager>Disk Drives>Hard drive>Policies and you'll see a tick box for windows file caching which dramatically improves hard drive speed.

But you don't have to do this if you don't want to! :)

5. Skeeder

Skeeder Member

About the Refresh fix.. I'm using a LG Flatron LCD screen and was told in the manual to use it at 1280x1024 @60hz for optimal performance. Will using the refresh fix for my Gforce3 card in XP effect this? Thanks for any answers.

Skeeder

6. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The refresh fix will basically allow you to set the refresh rate for different resolutions on your monitor. By default these seem to be stuck at 60Hz no matter what res you're running. For example, on my LG995E my desktop is 1024x768x32. My monitor can do 100Hz at that res, but the drivers would only allow 60Hz until I used this utility.

If you select the option "Every Resolution to Monitor's Maximum Supported Rate" in this utility, it will safely do just that, and you'll get the most out of your monitor and graphics card.

Anyway it has a backup option where you can reset your default settings. It's a harmless utility, well worth trying.

7. Coney

Coney Member

Thnx...been looking for that....:)

8. obsolete

obsolete Member

how can you uninstall these miniport drivers?

my hdd is attached to a raid ide port and hence i cant tell in windows device manager whether its running at udma 5 or not. but in the bios loading screen it is...

9. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

There should be an entry for the Miniport drivers in the Add/Remove icon in Control Panel.

Or download a utility like Regcleaner from http://www.jv16.org and not only will it clean your registry, it also allows you to see all the installed applications and uninstall them.

10. obsolete

obsolete Member

theyre not in there, does that mean i dont have them?

11. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

As long as your drives are identified correctly and you can't see an uninstall option, then they're probably not on your system :)

12. Chronos

Chronos Member

lol PersianImmortal like ownz this forum!

PersianImmortal = MrVIA

we need more ppl like u. no spam, and lots of knowledge!

:D

13. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Member

Thank you PersianImmortal for your tips. ;)

14. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

No problem guys.

One day I'm sure I'll be depending on the good people here to help me out of a computer bind :)

15. Creative

Creative Member

and dont worry we will be glad to help you out of it PI....:D

Its what i love about OCAUForums, everyone is willing to help....:)

Good stuff d00d

16. Memph

Memph Member

Agreed :p

17. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Thanks guys...group hug everyone :D

Here are some more links which may be useful - I've used em all and they all help get the most out of WinXP (and other windows versions too):

- Cacheman 5 - excellent utility to change your registry settings relating to the various caches windows uses. Can speed up your system quite noticeably: http://www.outertech.com

- Bootvis - utility from Microsoft to analyse your boot procedure, and there's an option to "Optimise System" under the Tools menu which works a treat! Get it from: http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp under Downloads.

- PageDefrag 2.10 - defragments your system files to optimise bootup and general performance. Get it from: http://www.sysinternals.com/. Running Defrag will do the same thing, but PageDefrag can be quicker if u just want to defrag the essential system files.

- MSConfig - Simple one, but some people miss it. Go to Start>Run and type MSConfig. This utility lets you see what's being loaded at startup and a whole bunch of other features. In particular, in WinXP go to the "Services" tab, click on "Hide All Microsoft Services" and look through to see if you need all the additional (sometimes unnecessary) services loading up, like the useless "Nvidia Driver Help Service" or the "Creative Help for CD Rom Service". Removing some of these services also lowers your system overheads. You can also remove some of the MS ones, but I urge caution here!

- Ad aware 5.8 - cleans out a lot of spyware and advertising crap your system definitely doesn't need! Get it from: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/index.html. Don't forget to get the latest reference file along with it. Easiest just to download RefUpdate 2.0 from that site so it can automatically check for and download updates.

- WinOptimizer Suite from http://www.ashampoo.com/ Although it can be somewhat lame, if you choose the right settings and be careful, it will let you thoroughly clean out your system, and will even catch useless/redundant registry settings which regcleaner won't. Be very careful with the DLL Cleaner...you really have to know what you're doing!

All well worth using, and with their help I've safely and easily pushed my machine's performance up a notch. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2002
  18. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

OK, two more additions to the above list. I've used these recently and they're excellent. Both are free:

- NVMax - most people know about this one, but it's worth using if you haven't already. Aside from letting you tweak you Nvidia graphics card, it will also let you know about whether you actually have Fast Writes enabled, AGP4x, etc. Get if from: http://www.nvmax.com

- X-Setup - this is one I'd never heard of before, but it is extremely safe to use and won't make any system changes without first warning you, and all changes can be undone. It's similar to TweakUI but has a lot more options! Get if from: http://www.xteq.com Once you install it, make sure to run the X-Update utility to update all the modules, especially for WinXP.

19. Creative

Creative Member

With NVMAX I used it for awhile cos Coolbits only allowed OC to 250 on the core for my GF3. I changed to NVMAX and used it for 1 week then changed to Riva Tuner. I found it more user friendly and easier to understand.

Tr NVMAX and if you dont like it try RIVA Tuner. It can be obtained from www.voodoofiles.com

:)

20. PaulzY

PaulzY Member

thanks, i still get shitty hdd performance, less than u, dont know what your running

i have 2x IBM 60GXP 40gig in a raid 0 array

i got alot better in win2k, have done everything u said still not much better just uses more cpu.

does defraggiung your hdd play any importance to the results when using hdtach?