1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

VIA Hyperion Driver Guide/FAQ

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by PersianImmortal, Dec 24, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Defrag does make a difference. Another important aspect is having the right size Windows Disk Cache. In WinXP, I use Cacheman to set the Disk Cache to "Maximise throughput for File Sharing" with 512MB of RAM. In Win9x/ME I would recommend for most users a cache of Min/Max 16384KB.

See my sig for my machine specs. I haven't done anything special aside from using the tools listed in the posts above.

What are your HDTach results?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2002
  2. smash3d

smash3d Member

I know nobody will probably be able to fix this but what the hey :)

I have two ibm HD's in my system, on an Epox 8kha+ mobo (using Via KT266A chipset) and cant get the drives to run at all with DMA enabled!!! Ive tried all the different Via drivers, with miniport my computer wont boot, it will just keep trying to load windows but never gets in!

The drives atm are running in PIO mode, which sucks so much it aint funny :(

To make matters even worse my CD burner and DVD driver are both running multi word DMA mode 2, which isnt that flash hot either, at least theres so DMA action there.

If anyone can help please help me!! Im pretty despreate as i have tried so much, and this latest upgrade ive done seems pointless without running HD's in DMA!! I load something and my PC like freezes without DMA ..

P.S Im running WINXP and ive tried heaps of dif BIOS settings to no avail

HELP ME!

3. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Member

Maybe this thread can help you.
    Let me know if that happens.

4. Vianewbie?!?

Vianewbie?!? Member

PersianImmortal, pls help!

PersianImmortal, your guide is really useful. Way to go man!

I have got two problems. I'm running XP Home edition on my ASUS A7V-133 motherboard and two IBM 40G 7200RPM Harddisks (Raid 0). I got this nagging error message on every bootup about the Promise Filter Driver. It says the driver is unstable, and so XP will disable it. But after probing in the Device Manager, I find the Promise driver is still working.

I have installed the latest onboard Promise Raid Controller XP driver, so why isn't it working?

Actually, I have encountered the same problem during installation. I pressed F6 and fed it with the XP Promise Raid driver and XP doesn't like it. Then I tried the Promise Win2000 Raid driver and it works. Weird. Do you by any chance knows what's going on?

Another problem is about the latest Via 4in1 (4.37a). I read from somewhere that the installation in fact does nothing. XP is still using its own drivers. As you mentioned that 4.37a has done wonder to many people, could you advise if I have done anything wrong during installation (I just run setup after decompressing the 4.37a file) or is it a problem in the part of VIA?

Once in a while, XP will keep loading after the desktop shows up, i.e. system tray is empty, can't access any shortcut , start button doesn't function, just keep loading. Usually i will do a reset and everything is fine again. Any idea?

VIA so far has given me lots of headaches. Feeling kinda frustrated.

Thanks tons!!!!!!!!

5. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

As it happens, Via Arena have released a Via driver guide which explains the various Via drivers and what is installed under different OS, and what they allegedly do. The guide is here

I use the term "allegedly" because although the guide suggests that the latest 3014 miniport drivers "enhance performance" under WinXP, when I installed them straight after a fresh install of WinXP, they identified my IDE drives as SCSI devices, and drive performance fell. I also had problems with Nero Burning Rom (XP version 5.5.5.1), and slower load up under WinXP.

6. 666666

666666 Member

how do you get such good scores? i have the same hdd as you and i only get burst speeds of ~40mbs and a sandra score of ~23000. Am i not using the correct drivers? Plz help.

7. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

First of all you need a motherboard capable of ATA100. If you're running an ATA66 motherboard the best you could possibly hope for is 60MB/s. Even with an ATA100 motherboard, I'm only getting 85MB/s when theoretically ATA100 = 100MB/s burst speed.

You also need to make sure you have the correct UDMA mode. Mine's set to UDMA5 which is the highest this drive will go on this motherboard.

Do you have any additional devices on the same IDE channel? Ideally the hard drive should be on its own on the Primary IDE Channel set as the master. You have to use the correct 80pin cable too.

Use a utility like Cacheman (see posts above) to set your windows disk cache to an optimal size. You disk cache will make a significant difference to your HD performance. Of course, your disk cache has to be enabled in the first place, so under WinXP for example go into Device Manager and under the properties for your hard drive, under the "policies" tab, enable file caching. In Win9x/ME make sure DMA is enabled in the properties.

Also, on the topic of disk cache, Sandra will measure your HD performance with the windows disk cache DISABLED. You need to go into the options under the "File System Benchmark" model and UNTICK "Bypass Windows File Cache" to see how your HD performs in real-world applications.

Defragging the drive will certainly help to increase your average read speed.

Otherwise what you see is what you get. Click on the "My Machine" link below and you can see my system details for yourself.

If you try all these tips and you still get a low score let me know! :)

8. 666666

666666 Member

Thanks PersianImmortal for that reply :)
    yeah it is all going at ATA100, cache is on
    now i get a sandra score of 13800! WTF?
    I dont realy care about sandra scores, i am just wondering why i get half the burst rate of yours :confused:

9. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Hmmmm.....the only additional suggestions I can make are:

1. Make sure your Primary and Secondary IDE Channels are on separate IRQs.
    2. Make sure you have the right access mode set in BIOS (ideally it should be set to "Auto" but try others)
    3. The fact that your scores fell in Sandra when you enabled write caching indicates to me that you probably have an incorrect cache size. Are you sure it's the optimal size? Try cacheman - I swear by it!
    4. Disable any virus scanners and ALL background applications in Windows before running HD Tach (obvious but some people miss it).

Here's my Sandra 2001 report on the ATA/ATAPI settings:

<< ATA Controller 0 >>
    << ATA device (fixed) >>
    < General >
    Channel: Master
    Type: ATA
    Removable Device: No
    Model: IC35L040AVER07-0
    Revision: ER4OA44A
    Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXX
    ATAPI Version: 60.21
    Cache Buffer Type: Multi-Sector with Read Cache
    Cache Buffer Size: 1916kB (3832 sectors)

< Geometry >
    CHS Geometry: 16383 x 16 x 63
    CHS Total Sectors: 16514064
    LBA Total Sectors: 80418240
    Number of ECC Bytes: 40
    Disk Capacity: 38.3GB

< Translation Mode Geometry >
    CHS Geometry: 16383 x 16 x 63
    CHS Total Sectors: 16514064

< Properties >
    MFM Encoding: No
    Synchronised Drive Motor: No
    Supports Track Offset: No
    Supports Data Strobe Offset: No
    Disk Speed Tolerance: < 0.5%
    Head Switching Time: < 15ms
    Sectoring: Soft
    IORDY Support: Yes
    IORDY Disableable: Yes
    LBA Support: Yes
    DMA Support: Yes

< Feature Set Support >
    SMART Support: Yes
    Security Support: Yes
    Power Management Support: Yes
    Packet Command Interface: No
    Removable Media: No
    Look-Ahead Buffer: Yes
    Write-Back Cache: Yes
    Host Protect Area: Yes
    Microcode Update: No

< Feature Set Active >
    SMART Enabled: Yes
    Security Enabled: No
    Power Management Enabled: Yes
    Look-Ahead Buffer Enabled: Yes
    Write-Back Cache Enabled: Yes
    Host Protect Area Enabled: Yes

< SMART Information >
    Version: 1.01
    ATA Commands Support: Yes
    ATAPI Commands Support: Yes
    SMART Commands Support: Yes

< Transfer Modes Support >
    Maximum Block Transfer: 16
    Transfer Width: 16-bit
    Max PIO Mode: PIO-4
    Max DMA MW Mode: MWDMA-2
    Max UDMA Mode: UDMA-5

< Transfer Modes Active >
    Current Block Transfer: 16
    Current Active Mode: UDMA-5

That's the best I can do without any additional info from you. What do you think it might be? Any leads?

10. mecha

mecha New Member

Where can you find the VIA 410 AGP Drivers?

Can someone please post a link?

11. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

12. pyrotek

pyrotek Member

very heplfull thred
    i have the prob of drives and cd still showing up as scsi
    the 3014 mini-port drivers are not in add/remove
    so i downloaded the reg cleaner prog
    it did not show them as been there?
    useing with xp pro
    ona kg7 -raid
    what i am doign wrong?
    anyhelp is much thankfull
    thanks
    pyro

13. 666666

666666 Member

i have used cacheman and set the disk cache to balance

14. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Member

And so? What are your bench resaults?

15. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

666666 - My Cacheman disk cache setting for WinXP is "Maximise Throughput for File Sharing" Do your HDTach results show any improvement?

Pyrotek - One of the wonderful "extras" Via added to the 3014 miniport drivers was the ability to uninstall through the Add/Remove programs feature in Windows. I can only assume if your drives still show up as SCSI that this feature has some kind of bug. Hence you may have to manually force windows to uninstall it or revert to the 4.37 4-in-1 drivers.

So try the "Roll Back Driver" or "Update Driver" options in Disk Drive properties under Device Manager, and manually try to change the drivers there. For one thing, you should only have
    Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel, and
    Via Bus Master IDE Controller
    Under your IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers item in Device Manager.

To manually update the driver, first uncompress the 4.37 4-in-1s to an empty directory. Then select Via Bus Master IDE Controller, choose Update driver>Install from a list or specific location>Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install.

For your information, my current drivers listed in Device Manager are:

Under "Disk Drives"> hard Disk properties it's:
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 1/07/2001
    Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0
    Which is the base WinXP driver.

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Via Bus Master IDE Controller it's:
    Driver Provider: Via Technologies, Inc
    Driver Date: 18/10/2001
    Driver Version: 5.1.2600.120
    Which comes from the 4.37 (and 4.36) 4-in-1s.

The Primary and Secondary IDE Channels both have the standard WinXP driver version 5.1.2600.0.

And finally, the AGP Driver under System Devices>Via CPU to AGP Controller is:
    Driver Provider: Via Technologies, Inc
    Driver Date: 6/10/2001
    Driver Version: 5.0.0.2410
    Which is the 410 AGP Driver. The 4.37 4-in-1s have the 405 AGP driver so update to 410.

16. pyrotek

pyrotek Member

hello PersianImmortal
    oh menney thanks

heres what was wrong no i can't explaine it i am new

under scsi/raid controlers
    i had to
    items jsut called
    scsi/raid
    that was it other then the highpoint and my scsi card

when i updated my via bus master driver to what you have
    then apeared primary and secdonay IDe controlers
    with i left at xp driver
    after reset and fuckin with hdds
    the scsi/raid bout of tehm disapeared

now everthing is working fine
    did not worry about the agp as the kg7 has the amd 761 chipset so left it set up with amd shit is that right?

also only problem i have now is the "via IDE tool"
    will not work here is the prob it gives me

"Query registry content failed.
    Please contact with manufacturer !!"
    so why is doing and and can it be fixed or dont' worry about it?

hope i explaned my self god enoug retarted back here :)
    thansk for you help disk is no longer a scsi :) and still no 3014 miniport as well...
    thanks
    pyro

17. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Glad to hear that worked.

Don't worry about the Via IDE Tool. I never used it anyways.
    The best way to make sure you've got the correct UDMA mode is to go into Device Manager, and under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Primary IDE Channel>Properties>Advanced Settings Tab make sure the Transfer mode is set to "DMA If Available", and that in the Current Transfer Mode box you see the correct DMA Mode.

In my case under Primary IDE Channel it displays "Ultra DMA Mode 5" for my ATA100 hard drive, which is the highest this HD/Mobo combo can do, and under Secondary IDE Channel I have "Ultra DMA Mode 2" which is the highest my ATA33 DVD ROM and ATA33 CDRW can do (I know I shouldn't have an IDE CDRW with an IDE DVD ROM drive on the one channel, but it seems to work perfectly in my case!)

If you don't have the correct UDMA mode then you need to check in your BIOS to make sure you have the right settings for your drives, and make sure you've installed the right drivers (see advice above).

18. pyrotek

pyrotek Member

ok then shall no worry about the VIA IDE tool it was nice
    but not needed
    have set modes up in the drivers section as you said
    things work much much much quicker now :)
    thank you very much
    much apreachted
    pyro

19. Ivansoze

Ivansoze Member

...sorry but...

.....hate to differ...but in xp using the supplied dual channel ide driver works best.....4 in1s not needed....do the b/marks and see.........

20. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I did do the benchmarks, and on my rig I get the highest benches and the smoothest system using the latest 4-in-1s along with the right settings using the utilities I've discussed above. You can see my HDTach 2.61 and Sandra results below.

If you get better results using the default WinXP drivers then stick with them.

The best way to test the 4-in-1s is to make a restore point before installing them, then bench. Then install the 4-in-1s and bench again. If you don't like what you see, you can easily go back to the earlier state.

HDTach result with 4.38 4-in-1s and optimised windows cache, etc:
    Burst speed: 84692kps
    Average read speed: 31411kps

George E. Breese's Disk Speed Utility:
    Bandwidth: 89MB/S
    Sequential: 38MB/S

Sandra 2002 HD Bench Default setting with Windows File Cache OFF (benches the controller): 22847

Sandra 2002 HD Bench with Windows File Cache ON (real world usage): 67568

File Cache set through Cacheman using "Maximise throughput for file sharing" setting.

As you can see, by having the right settings and drivers you can get the most out of your system. That's the whole reason for this post. I've got no problems with my system, I just wanted to share my methods with others so they could improve their performance. Aint I a sweetheart :)

Last edited: May 14, 2002