1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

VIA Hyperion Driver Guide/FAQ

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by PersianImmortal, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Lombers

Lombers Feed Me! Feed Me!

That is the AGP driver. It is included with the latest 4in1 drivers (4.38). If you have a version previous to that, you are much better installing the agp410 driver which is available on the VIA site.

2. FoderMe

FoderMe Member

That's exactly my problem. I have the latest 4in1's and I've installed ago410 but still no 'agp to cpu' field in my device list.

3. Lombers

Lombers Feed Me! Feed Me!

Does it matter, ie is it hindering your system's performance??

If it ain't broke, why fix it??

4. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

When you installed the latest 4-in-1s, did you choose "Normal Install" and select the option to install all three drivers (tick all three boxes) - especially the AGP VxD?

Also, did you then choose to install the AGP4x/133 Driver?

If you haven't then do so. Also, make sure in your BIOS that your primary display is the AGP (not PCI), and your AGP Aperature size is 64 or above.

The Via AGP Controller turns up when the 410 AGP Driver (which is now included in the 4.38 4-in-1s) is installed on your system. If you do what I've said above and it doesn't work, then install the 410 AGP driver separately as suggested by Lombers.

The 410 AGP Driver will improve your AGP performance, as it did for me.

5. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

PCI to PCI is generic agp controller installed by OS when it doesnt have the exact device id and string in the INF for that device eg viamach.inf or whatever is applicable

need to install via agp gart over it

be VERY CAREFUL if you change drivers manually using device manager

when you do it creates a new key instance under the \CLASS in registry and this can confuse the os, esp when changing ide, you wont be able to reboot back in or you will be stuck in 4bit colour vga mode (cause agp gart broken)

that also applies to the agp controller and display device too, that is a very common way to break agp texturing or directx

most of the time this works but as i said excersise caution

use the setup if the driver comes with one as they replace and re-enumerate the device at the proper time during the boot sequence

also i have been hearing alot of stories of people on forums saying 'install via drivers in safe mode' or other weird ways to install them, dont listen. just run the setup, tick whatevers needed, reboot. thats it

no problems at all since version 413, only problem i ever had was using BETA miniport ide drivers and agp

Re this

>>If you haven't then do so. Also, make sure in your BIOS that >>your primary display is the AGP (not PCI), and your AGP >>Aperature size is 64 or above.

Set the apeture to half your phy ram or 256mb(which is the max setting ) whateve you prefer. AGP texturing will switch off below 64 varying on what chipset,bios,video card you have

Re this

>>Does it matter, ie is it hindering your system's performance??
    >>If it ain't broke, why fix it??

Lombers, i think having agp texturing not enabled/working is broken and a hinder on perfromance, any decent agp card is useless without it on. Same goes for DMA.

6. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Just another useful tidbit. Today while looking through another OCAU forum I saw a reference to this site for CDROM/DVDROM firmware updates: http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/

In particular the site has patched firmware which will allow you to unlock your DVD drive to region-free (RPC-1).

How does this relate to Via motherboards? Well I hadn't updated my Pioneer DVD114S firmware since I bought it (feb 2000). Turns out that some of the firmware revisions really improve this drive's performance. I've updated to the latest (region-free) V2.06, and here are some of the improvements it provides:

Ver1.10-->1.24 History

1. In bad CD-ROM media (CIRC error occur sometimes), Readability of it improved.
    2. When rotation speed become 5000rpm in retry sequence, retry sequence spend too many time. This bug has fixed.
    3. Response to pushing the eject key is improved.
    4. Auto adjusting sequence in DVD-R media is improved.

Ver1.24-->1.25 History

1. Readability of CD-RW in 12x-20x area is improved.
    2. Support the medium complyed with Orange Book part2 ver3.1.

Ver1.25-->2.03 Revision History

1. Covered for the inconvenience of SiS's driver. f/w is changed to detect the drive after installing Win98(first edition) ver OSR to motherboard with SiS chipset supporting UDMA, such as SiS530 or SiS620.
    2. Fixed not to drop down the transfer rate for motherboard using VIA Technology's South Bridge which is supporting UDMA.

Note in particular that last fix!

To confirm that things actually did improve, I ran Nero CDSpeed and DVDSpeed - from http://www.CDSpeed2000.com - and lo and behold the drive's performing up to its rated standard!

So before you blame Via or another source for poor drive performance, make sure your drive has the latest firmware.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2002
  7. conehead

conehead Member

Hey PI

The Via AGP Controller turns up when the 410 AGP Driver (which is now included in the 4.38 4-in-1s) is installed on your system.

Shows up in my machine and I use the native xp drivers not the 4in1`s !

8. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

That sounds unusual. Have you installed the 4-in-1s at any point then uninstalled them? Or have you installed the 410AGP at any point then uninstalled it?

If you go into System>Hardware>Device Manager>System Devices>Via CPU to AGP Controller>Properties>Driver>Update Drivers>Install from a list or specific location>Don't search I will choose driver to install

You will see a list of all the drivers currently on your system (i.e. the currently used driver and those installed in the past). The generic XP driver is the "PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge". If you have other drivers on there, chances are they were either installed earlier on.

To see the dates of the drivers, untick "Show compatible hardware", and under the Via category you'll see the dates of the AGP drivers. On my system, the three relevant AGP drivers are:

Via CPU to AGP Controller Version: 5.0.0.140 [15/08/2001]
    Via CPU to AGP Controller Version: 5.0.0.2410 [6/10/2001]
    and one called
    Via Tech CPU to AGP Controller

The one currently used - from the 4.38 4-in-1s - is the 5.0.0.2410 driver.

Check to see which driver version you're using, and then we'll know whether XP installs them by default.

9. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

New windows tweak guide with some useful tweaks:

http://www.mods4me.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=19

Take care though, the last tweak regarding L2 Cache Size seems to be worded incorrectly. Enter your cache value in DECIMAL format to result in the correct size in HEX.

10. k371n

k371n Member

Thanks for the tip. I've been using standard XP drivers since I got my kr7a. I thought of taking the plunge w/ VIA 4.38(2) and followed Paul's kr7a FAQ,
    http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/drivers.htm
    So I installed in w2k compatibility mode. All seemed fine but IDE was real slow, like having the miniport driver I guess. I couldn't select UDMA anywhere. So I uninstalled untill I read these threads. Thanks for the help. All is well now.
    cheers
    k_

11. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Yeah, I've seen that tip to install the 4-in-1s in Win2000 compatability mode and it's absolute crap. I've tried it myself and it doesn't work. I don't like misleading FAQs like that.

Basically the best way to install the 4-in-1s is as they were designed....unzip and run Setup.exe!

Glad to hear your trouble's fixed :)

12. Whisper

Whisper Member

PI, can you put a link to the Driver Download page at VIA Hardware in you sticky, so people know what you are talking about :)

13. pixel8ed

pixel8ed Member

PersianImmortal,

Thank you so much for starting this thread, and for linking it from viahardware. I've spent many hours reading at the viahardware site and Pauls abit site trying to figure out which drivers/patches etc. I should try. I am very appreciative of your no-nonsense approach.

Now... questions. Here are some screen caps of pre and post 4.38 4-in-1 install. After the install the CPU to AGP controller version is lower but the Bus Master IDE Controller goes up. Is the Microsoft CPU to AGP ver. numbering different than VIA Technologies? I've got XP Pro ver 2002.

Clean install:
    [​IMG]

4-in-1 4.38(2)v(a) installed:
    [​IMG]

Next question... I tried the NVidia Refresh Rate Fix. When I run the setup, the Display Adapter Information field shows my card and current driver, but I got an error...

"Unable to read your display adapter setup information"

There's an option to look for "supported Devices" but I'm not sure what that's looking for. Any ideas?

And... what is up with Sandra? Why does it give such random readings? I've run the Drives Benchmark test on the same hard drive twice in a row and gotten readings in the17,000 to 21,000 range.

And thanks for the recommendation on Cacheman. It made a noticeable difference in test results. Sandra results went from 22,xxx to 25,xxx on my 20 gig IBM Deskstar.

14. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Pixel8ed,

Your CPU to AGP controller version 5.0.0.2410 is the latest (non-beta) AGP 410 driver. The Via numbering is slightly different. I don't know too much about the driver numbering convention, but with these drivers the number at the end (410, 120, 140) represents the driver version. AGP 410 is the best version to run until the final 411 AGP drivers come out.

Your CPU to PCI Bridge should be called Via Standard CPU to PCI Bridge, and should show version 5.0.0.140 and be dated 15/08/2001. The one you're currently running is the standard WinXP driver. Update the driver (see below)

The Via Bus Master IDE Controller is quite strange. I haven't seen that version number before. Mine shows version 5.1.2600.120 and is dated 18/10/2001. Again, update to the latest driver.

All I've done is install the 4.38 4-in-1s using the standard install method which is:

1. Unzip files
    2. Run setup.exe
    3. Select a Normal install, and make sure all check boxes ticked (to install ALL the drivers)
    4. Reboot as required

I can only ask if you've run the 4-in-1s in Win2K compatiblity mode, which is a NO-NO in WinXP.

If that's not it, and you're sure you installed the 4.38 4-in-1s correctly, then try manually selecting the latest correct drivers (the versions I mention above). The procedure is a bit lengthy to type out again (sorry!) but you'll find it in one of my posts in this thread. It involves going into the Device Manager and selecting Update Driver, etc.

As for Sandra, well it's not a good hard drive benchmarking program to use. HDTach 2.61 is most commonly used, along with George E. Breese's Disk Speed Test utility. Sandra also doesn't use the Windows file cache by default, which in turn means it shows a lower result. If you go into Sandra's options and turn off "Bypass Windows File Cache" it will show you more "real-world" results by using the file cache. Hence the more you tweak the file cache (using programs like Cacheman) the better your result both in Sandra, HDTach and real-world usage. My Sandra score is around 68,000 using the file cache.

Also, if you're not using a RAID setup, put your main hard drive on its own as the Master on the Primary IDE Channel with no Slave. If you can do that, it will improve your HD performance a bit more.

Oh and as for the Refresh Fix, well for the latest drivers (I'm on 28.90s, but also for the 28.32s) I am actually using RivaTuner. Under the Main tab, click on the small triangle next to "Customise" under the Driver settings area. You'll see a set of buttons appear. The one with "60Hz" and a cross through it will fix your refresh rates (until the next detonator install). Works as well as the other refresh rate fix.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: May 13, 2002
  15. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Something else I forgot to mention. Digital signing.

If your settings block the installation of drivers which aren't digitally signed (basically most of the new ones such as beta detonators and 4-in-1s aren't) then they won't install on your system when you run the Setup.exe, even though it appears the setup ran fine.

To view and adjust this setting, go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Driver Signing

I would recommend you select "Warn - Prompt me each time to choose an action".

That way the system will warn you whether the driver's signed or not, and in each case you can choose to continue or stop the install. In 99% of cases installing a digitally unsigned driver is perfectly fine. If you're really paranoid, make a System Restore point before installing so you can wind back if you encounter problems.

16. Dmitry Novikov

Dmitry Novikov Member

Hi,

I've noticed that on my system the Via Bus Master IDE Controller driver version was 5.1.3597.0 after "normal" install. But if I look for the "driver details", it showed a list of files, one of which was viaidexp.sys (version 5.1.2600.120).
    Then I manually installed the IDE driver. The list is gone, only viaidexp.sys is present (same version 5.1.2600.120).
    But then I tried the "normal install" again just to see what happens :). "Install IDE?" - "Yes". Rebooting... 5.1.3597.0 again.
    Then manyally once again... 5.1.2600.120.
    Strange, eh? It seems like it's Windows XP that confuses something, not VIA!

17. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

When I check my driver details for the Via Bus Master IDE Controller, there is only one file - viaidexp.sys which is version 5.1.2600.120

That's after doing a normal install. If you have other drivers along with that file, list them. Are you sure you didn't also install the 3014 miniport drivers because they'll install other BM drivers on your system.

18. Dmitry Novikov

Dmitry Novikov Member

I DIDN'T install the miniport since I last reformatted my drive :)!!!
    When I get home I'll repeat the same procedure with normal install and let you know. By the way, now I also have only one file on the list: viaidexp.sys. I remember that there were 4 files before I manually installed it. I don't remember all of them but one was called viaide.sys. It was provided by Microsoft, as well as the remaining two...

19. pixel8ed

pixel8ed Member

PI,

Thanks for the reply.

I ran the 4 in 1 setup as you said at the beginning of this thread. Never selected anything about win2k compatibility mode. Is there a way to check that? I do have the warning for digital signing set, already knew about that.

I got the Via Bus Master IDE Controller to change using the Update Driver Wizard. The "Don't search, I will choose..." option gave me the driver in the "compatible hardware" list. It now reads 5.1.2600.120 10/18/2001. So that's cool.

When I do the same for the CPU to PCI bridge The only two available are "VIA Tech CPU to PCI bridge" and "PCI standard host CPU bridge". Both give the same version and date. I tried pointing the update wizard at the via 4 in 1 folder for something else but that didn't help. What's next on that one?

Riva Tuner... Wow!!! I've had these kds 17" monitors (twin view) for over a year and I've never seen them look so good. Even the mouse response seems differnet... as in faster, smoother. Thanks a million for that one!

Don't have RAID so the 2 HDs will stay on the primary IDE as master and slave. Secondary IDE has a CD burner and DVD. (I know... my system description was minimal) I'll play around some more with cacheman.

Thanks again for your help.

[edit] Okay, I got the VIA Standard CPU to PCI Bridge 5.0.0.140 8/15/2001. I forgot to uncheck the "Show compatible hardware". When all else fails, read the directions, eh?

Last edited: May 14, 2002
  20. 666666

666666 Member

I installed teh 4.38s exactly the way you said, but i get the same problem as pixel8ed; the only driver that installs is the agp driver, the busmaster and cpu-pci bridge are both the xp default drivers :confused: