1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

VIA Hyperion Driver Guide/FAQ

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by PersianImmortal, Dec 24, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Pixel8ed - glad to hear it's worked out. If you didn't manually go into the properties for the Setup.exe file in the 4-in-1 driver set and set it to Win2K mode under the Compatibility tab then it'll run the way it's supposed to.

666666 - check your digital signing setting (as mentioned in the previous page) and if all else fails install manually as suggested to pixel8ed.

Note that if you're not sure about the benefits of installing the latest Via drivers as opposed to the WinXP default version, create a System Restore point, then benchmark your graphics performance (3DMark2001SE) and your hard drive performance (HDTach, G.E.Breese) and maybe run PCMark2002 as well. Then install the new drivers and do the benchmarks again to see if the drivers improve or diminish your performance.

If you find performance has lessened, or there are problems, you can always quickly and easily revert back to the previous restore point or just install the particular drivers which seem to be helping.

2. Dmitry Novikov

Dmitry Novikov Member

Guys, I still can't get it: as far as i Know, ALL the infs in 4.38 ARE WHQL-certified! Except that strange inf in the agp33 directory (which is for Win ME, I guess)...
    So, I think this is not the certification problem with the installation! And I think it's goddamn VIA who should finally explain all this mess!!!!!!!!

3. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The driver versions I've posted are the ones installed on my system doing a normal install of the 4.38 4-in-1s. No manual driver installs or tricks involved.

So if your system differs, and you don't think your settings are at fault, then yes tell Via. I'm not sure if anyone from Via browses these forums, but you can try the Via Arena forums which are the "official" Via forums.

But I think you'll find Via doesn't respond much to people pointing out the faults (of which there are several) of Via hardware and software.

So sadly it falls to us users to try and solve each others' problems :(

4. Dmitry Novikov

Dmitry Novikov Member

Yes, the VIA staff is somewhat "responsive" :) Take a look at what I tried to ask of them some time ago:

----- Original Message -----
    To: fiona.gatt@viaarena.com
    Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 4:19 PM
    Subject: VIA VT82C694T Datasheet

Dear Sirs,

Although I'm not your development partner nor your large customer, I'd be grateful to you if you let me receive some information from you. I do not need the full datasheet. I just want to modify my BIOS to set my DRAM to run at 133 Mhz while my Celeron 850 (100 Mhz FSB) is installed (i.e. I want to turn on the option of HCLK + 33 Mhz, which has been blocked by DFI for some ridiculous reason - my motherboard is CA64-TC).

I've already tried to mail their support team to various offices of the world but they still keep silence.
    I'd be very grateful to you in you provide me with the registers I should modify in my BIOS or any information regarding this issue.

I've also posted the issue to the forums at viaarena and viahardware. No one seems to have the solution :(
    So you are my last instance...

Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,
    Dmitry

And here goes the reply:

Dear Dmitry,

Unfortunatley we cannot help you modify the BIOS as it is written by DFI and not by VIA.

Fiona Gatt
    VIA Arena Team
    Web Media Liaison
    www.viaarena.com
    www.viatech.com

5. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

At some point someone posted a link to all the Via Datasheets which were leaked. If you ask in a separate post, maybe someone who downloaded them a while back will send them to you.

6. 666666

666666 Member

k, i got the 4.39's working by manually installing them. But what do i put for the power management controller?

On another note; my ATA 66 HDD only runs at Multi-word DMA 2 :confused:. I have an ata 100 cable and everything.

7. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Member

Ok!
    I have Windows XP Professional. I have made last week a fresh installation of it and after it I installed for the first time the last official VIA 4in1 v4.38.
    I have installed them using its default installer and I havn't had any problmes or any Microsoft Logo nag screen while its installation.
    The only thing that I noticed was the hd performance.
    Before the VIA 4in1 installation, with HDTach 2.61, the hd performance was better.
    So I installed the official PCI Latency patch 0.19 and then the hd resaults where good again.

Now... I told you this because I have not understood well if I have installed the VIA 4in1 in the correct way or not.

Thank you.

8. Dmitry Novikov

Dmitry Novikov Member

To PersianImmortal:

Thanks but I've already asked for datasheets at Viahardware... George Breeze told me to search at www.fae.com.tw (in Chinese). I've managed to find the datasheet for 694X via Google there. But no one is absolutely sure whether it's 100%-compatible with 694T (the DeviceID is different - 0605 instead of 0691), even George. When I modify my memory registers to enable HCLK+33 (I do modify them correctly - read the datasheet carefully) with WPCRSET, my PC won't boot, even in the Safe mode, as the Safe mode doesn't bypass *.sys drivers. So I have to boot in "Last Good" and re-install recent drivers! So, I think, the only thing is to modify my BIOS. The guy at www.rom.by (in Russian) makes tweaks to BIOSes (free as yet), and I've already sent him my request... Still waiting.
    By the way, this subject is covered in a very long thread at www.ixbt.com (sorry, in Russian also). Lots of lucky people have already received modified BIOSes (mostly for Accorp and ASUS mobos) from www.rom.by and they seem to work OK.

Anyway, do you think I should still give it a try and post a request in a different thread?

Last edited: May 16, 2002
  9. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Pirata - it sounds like you've done the right thing. You installed the 4.38s first, and since your HD performance wasn't quite as good, you installed the PCI latency patch. If you've also done all the tweaks in this thread then I'm sure your hard drive is performing as well as it should.

Dmitry - Go ahead and make a new thread requesting more info on this. That's what this forum's here for. Let's hope someone can help you out. If you get your RAM to run at the higher speed it will make a noticeable difference to your performance.

10. alisport

alisport Member

great and much needed info, great work dude!

11. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Member

Mmmm... now I realize that I have not understood well this thread. Can you make a little list with these tweaks?

About the harddrive performance... I can only get about 74 or 76 mb transfere in HDTach v2.61 with this version of VIA 4in1.
    With VIA 4in1 v4.37 I was at over 80 mb.

Can this fact be related at the tweaks that you mean?

Thank you.

12. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

In my experience hard drive performance depends on the following things:

1. The drivers managing the controller - the Via Bus Master IDE Controller for IDE drives for example. The latest version (5.1.2600.120) contained in the 4.38 4-in-1s should be the best.
    2. The UDMA mode of your drive - it should be set at the maximum possible. For example, with an ATA100 drive it should be UDMA Mode 5. You can view/set this in WinXP under Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Primary IDE Channel (best to have HD on Primary by itself)>Properties>Advanced Settings. Also check your BIOS to make sure you haven't limited the hard drive to PIO mode.
    3. Enabling the windows file cache. You can view/set this in WinXP under Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Disk Drives>-drive name->Properties>Policies>"Enable Write Caching on the Disk" should be ticked.
    4. The size of the windows file cache above. This can be optimised in the registry, but is done most easily with Cacheman which will automatically make the necessary registry adjustments. I find if you have 512MB or more than the best setting for hard drive performance is "Maximise throughput for file sharing" in Cacheman.
    5. Defragmenting the hard drive. This is done using the WinXP Disk Defragmenter utility.
    6. I also used a semi-fixed swap file. This can be viewed/set under Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change>Custom Size> with 512MB of DDR, I have mine set to 200 Initial/500 Maximum. Of course if I get "out of memory" errors I can always increase this. But so far, so good.

If you've done all that and you're still have relatively low hard drive performance than we can dig deeper.

13. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

Umm, some line breaks would have been nice

Last edited: May 17, 2002
  14. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

That was not the "definitive guide to hard drive performance" :)

It's just a checklist to make sure the fundamental settings/tweaks are in place for optimal hard drive performance. There are a whole lot of things that can be done to get additional benefits, like using a utility to place the swap file at the start of the drive where read/write speed is fastest.

However the above can be done quickly and relatively easily.

As for defragmenting the drive - well it has to be done for optimal file read/write performance. I have over 40,000 files on my 40gb drive, and the first time it took a while, but I regularly defrag the drive now and it takes less than 5 minutes.

You can get the exact Read Burst and Average Read figures from the HDTach.log file found in the directory where you installed HDTach.

I would rarely suggest a reinstall. Use Regcleaner (see earlier in this thread) and WinOptimizer to clean and maintain the registry. Both are safe and simple to use.

Yes I should have mentioned this, although most people would see it as obvious. You should have no background apps running when you benchmark any component of your system, whether hard drive or graphics card. This includes virus scanners, any apps running in the system tray, an internet connection, etc. They can all affect your results, usually for the worse.

Here's a list of what I have running on my WinXP Pro (Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and select the Processes tab) when I first boot up:

taskmgr.exe
    MsPMSPSv.exe
    explorer.exe
    svchost.exe (5 instances in total)
    lsass.exe
    services.exe
    winlogon.exe
    csrss.exe
    smss.exe
    System
    System Idle Process

Use MSConfig and the Services tool to pare down you startup files and services to only those required. Read some of the tweaks mentioned in the posts above on how to do so.

Finally,

Yes, and a good hard drive. But my post was about how to get the best out of your existing system. Some people don't have the best mobos or drives and can't or won't upgrade, so follow the tips provided to optimise what you've already got :)

15. Rei

Rei Member

4.39 beta 1= bad for Audigy users

My audigy started cracking after installing 4.39 beta 1, I reinstalled Via raid patch and pci latency patch 0.19d to no avail. Reverted back to 4.38's, all good.

16. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

4in1439 beta1 and beta2 fine here

audigy is fine with them, no problems at all

Last edited: May 19, 2002
  17. Chronos

Chronos Member

im about to format tonightok let me get this right....

install 4.38 4in1s
    install latency patch 0.19
    install RPP 1.02

is the above right?? is there a need for the latency patch if you install the raid drivers, or vice versa??

im getting crackling sounds when i playing music while the drives are loading :(. ne ideas whats causing this?

oh yeah, i have a highpoint 372 raid setup + SB audigy

18. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Install the 4.38 and the RAID patch. If you still have problems install George's 0.19d patch. If that makes things worse then uninstall the 0.19d patch through Control Panal>Add/Remove.

19. Chronos

Chronos Member

WTG?

i just did a disk benchmark with sandra 2002 1.8.59

27700 without windows cache
    19200 with windows cache

where can i find some other free benchmarking programs i can run tonight?

this is NOT good :(

20. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Member

Mmmm... what is RPP 1.02 ???