1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

VIA Hyperion Driver Guide/FAQ

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by PersianImmortal, Dec 24, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

That result will depend on the size of your windows file cache. Use cacheman to set the cache to optimal. HDTach 2.61 and George's Disk Speed Utility are two good disk benching utilities. Search this thread for links to all the above-mentioned programs.

2. scarecrow420

scarecrow420 Member

my housemate just reinstalled the 4.38 4 in 1s (he has a Abit KT7A RAID mobo and TBird 1GHz) and it keeps redetecting the busmaster device every reboot, and only wants to install the win2000 oem driver.

even if we force it to use the via one it still gets redected every time.

We just flashed to the latest BIOS trying to figure out why his leadtek GF4 ti4400 is locking up in counterstrike...

nothing is overclocked or anything, and the 4.38 drivers worked before we flashed the BIOS.

any advice?

3. 666666

666666 Member

I still have this problem :(, i have tried many different things. I have tried lots of different 4in1 versions, different latency patches, i have formatted my pc and reinstalled xp, i have tried every setting on casheman, different ide cables, 3 different hdds including a 13g ata66, 60gxp and atm im running a 120gxp. My hdd is running at udma mode 5 and the highest ever burst speed i have seen is about 52mbps. :(. The only other things i can think of is windows XP, my motherbord or both ide cables i have tried are faulty. :(
    please help.

P.S. check the link in my sig for my pc specifications.

4. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I had a look at your specs and it's not clear whether your main hard drive (the one you're benching) is on its own on the Primary IDE Channel. That would be a good start.

Otherwise, the only other things I can think of are:

- You have something running in the background when you bench your harddrive. Make sure EVERY app including even things in the systray are OFF; or
    - Your motherboard's hard drive controller is not very good. Not sure about this, do you know others with the same mobo getting better results?

I don't think WinXP has anything to do with it - I and many others run XP too. Also, I doubt it's the 4-in-1s or other drivers. You don't need to install much more than just them to get good results. And I doubt it's your hard drives or cables. If it's running in UDMA5 that means the cables are the correct type and setup correctly.

Don't use Sandra, use George's disk speed utility and HDTach.
    Concentrate on the environment you're benching your drives in. Make sure absolutely nothing other than the bare essentials are running. I showed in a post above which processes I have running - only 15 of them. And I have only one program loading on startup. Here it is from MSConfig:

RUNDLL32 NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon Initialize

Which basically sets my GeForce's overclocked clock speeds and Digital vibrance setting on startup.

You certainly don't need any apps loading and becoming resident in memory at startup (IMHO). At least close them all off for benching purposes.

5. 666666

666666 Member

lol, yeah that stupid pcdb says i have 2 primary masters, but the ibm is on primary master with nothing else on secondary. I fear it may be my mobo :(, it uses the 686B southbridge which the drives are running off.

6. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Given everything that you've tried, it'd seem most likely I'm afraid. The best solution would be to install the 4-in-1s, then George's 0.19 patch and leave it at that.

7. Pemolis

Pemolis Member

well

A really basic question

The A7V Motherboard made my asus, can I just install the via drivers from the via site or does asus modify the drivers to work for there board?

Its a fairly popular board and some feedback would help.

8. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

You can install the Via drivers on all via chipsets (unless otherwise advised in the readme file accompanying the driver).

However in general, whether with motherboards or graphics cards, when a particular manufacturer releases their own drivers it may contain optimisations or particular tweaks specific to their product, so it's worth installing them.

Usually however the manufacturer-specific drivers may be a version or two behind the current general drivers, so if you don't mind not having the latest, stick with the manufacturer ones.

9. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Another useful tweak/tip I found out about courtesy of Oblong Cheese. Here's what he says in
    this post:

I never realised WinXP did that, and that you had to "toggle" back and forth to reactivate it, but it's well worth knowing if your system seems to slow down all of a sudden! Thanks Oblong Cheese.

10. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Been helping out with some tips at the Morrowind Forums and one of the most common mistakes I see is a lack of understanding of BIOS settings. These are critical if you want your system to be optimal. If you screw these up, no software tweaking will fix some of your problems.

The best BIOS Guide I've seen is The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide /EDIT - link fixed.

Read it and you'll see answers to questions like what is the AGP Aperature size, and what size should it be....or what is PCI Latency.

Even my own understanding of common BIOS features comes under scrutiny when I read this guide.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2002
  11. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

Since Windows 95 4.0.950, there have been 'bad' lists in the INFs and registry, for various things, DMA, SCSI, adv mobo features, OS or HW accel or controll of a certain feature, DAE (98 and up) and so on.

Not only this but NT has heaps of various performance and error counters measuring OS 'telemetry', compared to handful 9x has and it can/does adjust based on these.

Those who have flashed their bios and the changelog said 'fix ACPI error in event viewer for 2k or for xp' is example

the best examples of the bad lists are DMA and DAE, (obviously the latter needs DMA to do extraction).......

If you look in the cdrom inf and registry there is a flag that tells windows the capabilties of some troublesome/buggy drives, eg disable dae, allow dae or force. You get the idea, well the list is long, that is expected of early drives with dae.

DMA - some model chipsets especially OEM ones and early ones are buggy or cause data corruption with DMA or need propetry drivers. If there is a bug in the IDE controller or drive firmware or drivers and this results in severe data corruption which is an effect of faulty DMA, this is something no-one wants, drive manufacturer, chipset manufactuer, and so on.

(drivers was a common and critical problem , pertaining to the brand refered to in this thread, thankfully all good and fixed now and very stable and fast)

The point is, it is a good and important feature the OS has failsafe mechanisms, both from an end-user point of view who might not have any knowledge of any devices in their PC and from the develeor point of view who have to take into consideration many devices, softwares etc.

XP more than any MS os before it gives best performance and functionailty out of the box and needs little optimisation by the end-user.

I wish someone would write PLEASE ENABLE DMA on a big stick because some dont/wont (joking) I dont know how this people and/or newbies expect that they have a ata-133 controller/drives in their pc when they have it set for PIO4 which is 16.6MB/S....

12. Whisper

Whisper Member

13. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Right you are :)

Another useful link is the new link to the GeForce FAQ which covers all GeForce cards.

This will help if you think the problem's with your Via mobo or BIOS graphics settings, when in all actuality it may be a graphics card/driver issue.

14. Teren Powers

Teren Powers Member

sorry to sound stupid

I went to the Via site linked in the first post to get 4.38 and I think I read all the posts but on the site they go from 4.37 to 4.39b. Where is 4.38?

15. Lombers

Lombers Feed Me! Feed Me!

Re: sorry to sound stupid

On this page here:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Hope that helps.

16. Teren Powers

Teren Powers Member

Thanks very much, went and got it.

17. Whisper

Whisper Member

Please Update for Latest Detonators

18. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

19. banderos

banderos Member

Good to see you're Aussie PersianImmortal!

I have a question relating to resources...

I noticed that my sound card and geforce3 are share an irq (16 i think).
    Does irq sharing actually affect performance?

On a related issue does it matter if I have a CDROM acting as a master to a HD on an IDE bus?

cheers,

Ben
    Sydney.
    :cool:

20. banderos

banderos Member

p.s. just noticed the .com.AU.
    DOH!