1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

VIA Hyperion Driver Guide/FAQ

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by PersianImmortal, Dec 24, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Hey banderos,

Yes IRQ sharing does affect performance. While Windows is designed to allow IRQ sharing, and it's alleged to be fine with it, a lot of problems can occur when two major components share an IRQ. You should definitely have your graphics card, sound card, IDE controllers, etc. on separate IRQs.

Go into your BIOS and reset the configuration and see if that helps. If not, go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and see if you can manually assign a free IRQ to the graphics card.

If you can't (because there's none free, or it's greyed out), then free up some more IRQs by disabling things you don't use. Best to do this in the BIOS. For example, disable LPT/COM ports you don't use etc. Then reset your configuration so Windows will reassign the IRQs. This will speed up your bootup times as well as freeing up IRQs for critical devices.

As for your second question, yes it will reduce your hard drive performance if you have a CDROM Master and a HD Slave on the same IDE controller. You should ideally have your Hard drive as the Master on the Primary controller, and CDROM as Master on the secondary. However if you have two or more CD/DVD/CDRW drives then always place your main hard drive as Primary Master, and your CDRW drive as Secondary Master, then the next CD/DVD ROM drive as Primary Slave, and finally if you have to, put the last CD/DVD drive as Secondary Slave.

This will ensure the drive gets the full benefits of the highest UDMA mode on the host controller all to itself, and just like IRQ sharing, it reduces potential conflicts and hence improves speed and stability.

2. banderos

banderos Member

Bewdiful!
    I'll do both and see if it affects my bench results.

BTW, I saw your post on Morrowind and am a bit suprised at the low results others were getting. I am rarely dropping below 20fps on full everything. I should add some details into the forum on my system...
    We just need a morrowind benchmark!

cheers,

Ben

3. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

No problem. I'm sure a lot of people have come here after reading my "Morrowind Tweak Guide" at the official forums, at Morrowindfiles.com, and at all leading websites ;)

Basically I'm running Morrowind extremely well on my system. Not a problem and very playable, with fps 20+ outdoors. I play long sessions without any CTDs or crashes of any kind.

Those of you who are reading this thread are at least making the effort to optimise and stabilise your machines, which is excellent. To the rest who expect Morrowind to run perfectly without any tweaking or knowledge of PCs - well sadly that's not the case.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not in the IT industry. I just learned how to use PC hardware and software precisely so that I could get the most out of my systems and run games (which is really what it's all about) without any probs.

Learn how to maintain your PC hardware and software properly and it shall reward you a thousand times over :)

4. banderos

banderos Member

egsacterly

I agree totally.
    I forked out recently for some corsair PC3000 RAM and was dismayed when I found it would not run stable at 2/2/2/1 333MHz.
    But I persisted with tweaking the BIOS settings. In the end I needed the fully allowable voltage on the DDR bus for it to work.
    It's just about getting value for your dollars. It doesn't cost you anything to do a bit of research (except maybe your ISP connection fee ;) )

5. Observer

Observer Member

>>OK here are my current recommendations for driver installation with a Via chipset under WinXP. It should also apply to Win9X/ME/2K systems: <<

This driver is not suitable for win9.x as the cat file is missing - this way, installation is always looking for files! The last release including the cat file is 4.38! Via denies to support win9.x any longer in the 4in1! There is a meter long thread in the viaarena forum.

6. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

OK I didn't realise this. The Official 4-in-1 Installation Guide still shows the latest 4-in-1s supporting Win98 at the bottom.

One of the reasons I upgraded to WinXP last year was because I knew eventually Microsoft and major developers would drop support for the older OS', even though Win98SE is still a good OS in my opinion. It's the sad truth about the PC industry that the latest becomes the greatest by default.

7. PeepingTom

PeepingTom Member

Umm just startin out here in the chipset region, so a little patience...

PI, some recommendations for wat to do with a

VIA KT33 & VT8233A chipset on a MS-6390 Mobo, 1800+ XP CPU, 512 2700 DDR running under XP Pro.

I've installed the 4.40 4-in-1s, and am after any other drivers/tips to get my new sys up and going a little quicker.

My downfall is I have a 5400 rpm HDD and a GF2MX 400 :\

Any other tips would be great.

8. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The recommendations on the first page of this thread will apply to you just fine. The 4.40 4-in-1s should be all you need. If you experience sound crackling then install George's patch. Otherwise that's it for chipset drivers.

For BIOS settings try the Definitive BIOS Guide.

If you're also running XP, try my WinXP guide for optimal setup.

There really isn't much more to it than that :)

9. PeepingTom

PeepingTom Member

Yer, cheers PI, done that, got a lil boost.

New to O/C athlons, done P3's b4 with just xtra cooling fans, nothing too extreme but sum input on a decent O/C on the above sys.

XP1800+ cpu is normally clocked @ 1.57Ghz, i have it running @ 1.63Ghz @ around 40 - 42 degrees, wats a decent overclock for it?

Thing that puzzles me was when I had finished setting the comp up wen i put it together, because of my GF2 MX400 i got a low score og 3250, now tho the score is 3200, although its, not a huge drop it doesnt make sense as I undid all the tweaks I tried out and reset it to how it was and still got lower, and presently its @ 1.63 and still lower than the score @ 1.57 *scratches head* if that makes any sense :)

I know this should prolly be in some other thread, but u kno wat ur on about so i wanted to pick ur brains =0)

*scuse spelling, i txt too much*

10. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I'm unfamiliar with AMDXP overclocks - P4 man myself :)
    So I can't tell you if that's good or not.

As for your score dropping - well maybe your motherboard has an auto bus divider which kicks in at higher fsbs and reduces your memory speed?

Use Sisoft Sandra to check your memory and AGP/PCI bus speeds.

If not that, then probably one setting somewhere or rather has been switched off. Check AGP aperature size and set to 128 (under 64 and you switch off AGP), that sort of thing.

It could be software-related. Check your Nvidia display properties - maybe FSAA has been turned on? In my XP guide I have a link to another guide I wrote with optimal graphics settings for the Nvidia display panel. Try that.

Your score shouldn't drop with overclocking, but I don't know the exact cause - unless you have an idea?

11. Whisper

Whisper Member

PI, you are making my life so much easier for my Installation of Windows XP Professional on my new 40GB HDD. :)

I will finally be free at last from Windows 98 and FAT32. :)

Have you got a link to the program that permanently fixes the Windows Refresh rate? I cannot remember it, and it deserves to be here, especially since I do not want to have another program running in the background just to get Windows to run at the correct refresh rate for my monitor.

Also what is the name of those Visual Quality NVidia drivers, and the link to them.

P.S. Keep up the good work

12. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Whisper - RivaTuner (link in first post) changes your refresh rate permanently and doesn't need to be run in the background (or at startup) for it to work. It changes the registry entries and you only need to do it once. It's the only one I know for sure will work with all dets and all nvidia cards. Trust me, RivaTuner won't take over or change your system like other tweak utilities can.

The Nvidia drivers with high quality are called the Omega Drivers and can be downloaded. I've included the omega driver link in my recommendations, thanks whisper :)

13. Whisper

Whisper Member

14. leck

leck Member

thanks for posting this thread, made my life about 400 times easier than it could have been :)

Ive followed all the directions on both mine and my gfs computer however there is only one thing that is missing.

Under windows 2000 (we both run it).. for some reason it does not let you change the via bus master IDE controller. The version its stuck on is

Driver Provider : Via Technologies
    Driver Date : 10/18/2001
    Driver Version : 5.0.2195.120
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compat blah blah

Tried installing with the exe, manual, safe mode etc and nothing seems to stick.

The CPU to AGP and VIA Standard CPU to Bridge worked fine..

Im not sure if this is related but on my girlys machine, her sound is screwed even with the latency patch so im wondering if that could be tied into the issue with the ide.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

15. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The only thing I can think of is that your Driver Signing settings are set to reject non-WHQL drivers.

Check it under Control Panel>System>Hardware>Driver Signing and set to "Warn - ..." and tick "Make this action the system default.

/EDIT - I just noticed the latest version for WinXP is:

Driver Provider: VIA Technologies, Inc.

Driver Date: 18/10/2001

Driver Version: 5.1.2600.120

So I think you have the latest version for Win2K already installed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2002
  16. leck

leck Member

ta for the reply, already done that tho since that was one of the first things i checked..

both systems are win2k sp3 with all the regular updates..

ill post if i find any updates..

17. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

This may have been answered before but the task of looking through 10 pages or so of posts is a bit much :)

Would it be worth installing VIA 4-1's on my Asus P3V4X mainboard as it is pretty old and I think it uses the Apollo Pro chipset. I have installed them ages ago with I was running Windows 98 and they stuffed up my system. At the moment I am running Windows XP.

Any advice would be appreciated ;)

18. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Yes, if you have WinXP always install the latest 4-in-1s. They may not improve your performance noticeably (sometimes new versions do), however they have the latest coding for stability and bug fixes, so I recommend you install the latest 4-in-1, even with the P3V4X.

If you have older Windows versions then perhaps stick with the 4.35s or older.

My preferences is to always have the latest drivers (except where recommended not to by the manufacturer themselves) if only so I can benefit from bug fixes.

19. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Always check the first post in this thread regularly. It's updated whenever new 4-in-1s come out and it's been recently overhauled.

20. HAYWiRE

HAYWiRE Member

anyone had the problem of textures in games flickering like if u were seeing textures thru the wall? coz after upgrading my comp recently i see weird lines everywhere when i play battlefield 1942 and at times the textures disappear in warcraft3. Also blue dots also appear in cs.

i've tried installing the 4in1 4.43 as well as det 40.72 and fixed my refresh rate.

my specs: amd xp2000, msi kt3 ultra2 (KT3333), 256 2100 ram, leadtek geforce 2 Ti