1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

VIA Hyperion Driver Guide/FAQ

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by PersianImmortal, Dec 24, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Check your AGP 4-in-1 version (see first post in this thread) and make sure you have the latest.

Then, follow the XP guide I've linked in that first post to optimize your software settings.

Next, if you're overclocked then wind back your overclocks. What you're describing sounds like a graphics card that's been overclocked too far. If your problem's occuring at default clock then check your AGP Aperature Size in BIOS (make sure it's 128MB) and set AGP Driving Value to Auto.

Texture corruption can also occur due to heat on the graphics card, but its mainly from overclocking.

Let me know more details and we'll take it from there.

2. HAYWiRE

HAYWiRE Member

yeah i've tried winding back my overclocks, and setting the AGP aperture size to 128 and left the AGP Driving Value to Auto. But still no difference :(

so wat other information do u need to know?

3. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

To be honest it just sounds like either a graphics card problem (heat and/or physical fault - though unlikely) or a driver problem.

Turn off sidebanding and fastwrites because they won't make any real difference to fps, yet they're the source of a lot of instability.

I would recommend clean reinstall of the detonator drivers. Instructions, and more graphics card tips/tweaks here.

Use RivaTuner to tweak settings on your card and see if it makes a difference on the problem.

Basically, I don't think this is directly related to the motherboard or the drivers.

Texture corruption is usually a graphics card-related problem. Sorry I can't help more :)

4. HAYWiRE

HAYWiRE Member

thanx anyway mate..

5. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Guide has been updated again with link to 4.40 AGP drivers, and no doubt soon a new set of 4-in-1s will come out and the guide will be updated again. Check back on the first post regularly.

6. YodaMatt

YodaMatt Member

wow what a great guide
    thx persian immortal

on my system under device manager when under the disk drives and dvd/cd rom drives tabs it has the proper names of my hardware there but it says they are scsi??

i read through this thread and noticed that would only happen if u installed the miniport driver
    well i haven't ever installed the miniport driver so i don't know what the problem is

btw here's my hardware listing:-
    asus a7v
    duron 800
    via hyperion drivers
    seagate 320414a scsi disk drive (it's not a scsi drive it's an ide one but it says scsi???)
    lite-on ltr-32123s scsi cd-rom (it's an ide drive also)

the seagate drive is on the primary ide channel
    the lite-on burner is on the secondary ide channel as a master

if u need any more info just tell me coz this problem has been annoying me

7. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

It sounds like a driver problem. If you've checked your BIOS and made sure it's set on Auto Detect for the drives, then check your driver versions - particularly for the Bus Master device...it should match the driver version in my guide. If not update it manually.

Also my system optimization guide and winxp guide (if u run XP) because somewhere in there it will resolve your problems.

8. YodaMatt

YodaMatt Member

i checked the driver versions for the bus master and it was not the same as your version in your guide

so i'm going to try that now

also my cpu to pci bridge driver version is different than the one in your guide
    should i update that one manually also?

also in your guide u said

"Versions shown below are for the latest Hyperions (4.45) under WinXP with SP1"

now do i need sp1 for those driver versions to match your ones or not?

any help would be much appreciated

9. YodaMatt

YodaMatt Member

ok i have manually changed the bus master driver to the same as in your guide

everything works fine but it still says scsi!?

i unzipped the hyperion drivers like u said and i found the one for bus master but i'm not sure which one is right for the cpu to pci one

any help would be great

10. Lombers

Lombers Feed Me! Feed Me!

I'm assuming if your drives are showing up as SCSI and they are regular IDE drives that they are perhaps running off an onboard RAID / IDE controller of some sort?? I know WinXP identifies the drives as SCSI if this is the case, most notably with Promise controllers. Not sure whether this is the case, but an idea nevertheless :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2002
  11. YodaMatt

YodaMatt Member

yeah your right lombers i do have an onboard promise raid controller but i only have one hdd and one cd-rw

i noticed that when the pc is starting up it has a screen saying promise something something (i can't remember all of what it says but it's all driver info

then under it there is my hdd and cd/rw

it says the hdd is on ultra dma 5 and the cd/rw is on ultra dma 2

12. acr

acr (Banned or Deleted)

it seems i have a problem installing the hyperion 4in1's

I am running a MSIKt4Ultra (KT400) - and when i use the quick install method (as advised in faq) and then reboot .... when i attemt to execute a graphical program (3DMark) (game).. it freezes and then reboots

as soon as i uninstall this.... no more problem

i have tried to find some help... but to no avail
    perhaps my fellow OCAU pals can help

P.S - say hi to my gf Poohbear who just joined tonight

13. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

IT sounds like it's time for you to take up the rest of the FAQ and first check your driver versions (the AGP driver in particular), then manually update each component if it's not updating correctly.

Give that a try, as the Hyperions shouldn't give you graphics-related reboots unless they've been installed incorrectly. Sometimes the fast install method might do that, so a manual install and check is a must.

14. junglemaster

junglemaster Member

Since installing the latest Hyperion's I have been limited to 60fps in games. Usings FRAPS shows the fps flicking between 60 and 61 fps constantly.

I have a Radeon 9500 Pro and can defaintely expect better fps (change to 640x480 etc still maxes out at 60fps)

I have tried going back to XP drivers with no luck.

I think I am going to reinstall tonight anyway and document my changes (using system restore).

If I find anything interesting (related to this or otherwise) I will post it - but in the meantime I am still interested if anyone else has seen this type of behaviour???

Bye

15. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The Hyperions won't limit you to 60fps. Try this - reinstall the Hyperions, then install (or reinstall) the Catalysts, then install (reinstall) Refresh Force to break the fps limit.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

got two boards here: one is an epox kt400 based baord, and another an "aplus" (CHEAP!) kt333 board.

both are showing severe lagging when accessing IDE devices under the newer 4.49 hyperions. the lag seems to be random, but is noticable when it occurs (bad skipping in music playback, etc). of note, both these systems have been cleanly installed recently, and were fine with older drivers. problem is i can't remember which ones they were previously...

looks like i might have to drop back a few revisions. the 4.45 or so should be alright for both these chipsets? anyone care to comment?

17. OP
    OP
    PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Not sure which version would be best...whatever was released a month or two after your chipset was released should be safe.

However I recommend you keep the latest AGP driver, and manually change the IDE Filter driver for the "VIA Bus Master IDE Controller" item in Device Manager back to whichever version you think is optimal. That way you get the best of both worlds - the latest graphics fixes with the best IDE hard drive performance.

18. cpfc

cpfc Member

Some great info here. Have gone XP for 5 months and been having plenty of BSODs on a system than ran smoothly under win 98 SE for 3 years without a rebuild.

To get around this I extracted the 4 in 1 drivers and created a custom build cd along the lines of unattended.msfn.org . I still BSODDED but it was consistent and I got rid of the extended blank screen at bootup. Next I just used the optimised defaults in the BIOS and so far the situations that caused a BSOD no longer give me crap.

Anyhow I have not done any benchmarks as I am not an overclocker however my system appears quicker.

Although I will be getting an nforce 4 my old via chipset with athlon 1Ghz will be put to use as a linux experiment.

Thanks for the great info here.

19. Fodder

Fodder (Banned or Deleted)

20. Fish_Munger

Fish_Munger Member

They fix anything?