VIA introduces new 3000 Series Nano CPU's

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

http://www.techpowerup.com/107493/VIA_Introduces_New_VIA_Nano_3000_Series_Processors.html

[​IMG]

2. Gierke

Gierke Member

Shiney. Way to blow the atom out of the water.

3. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Very nice but lets see some pricing and of course, consumer PRODUCTS ACTUALLY USING THEM!

The TDP for the OLD chips were are follows, they say these use 20% less power... The idle power is amazing on the new ones, 100mw and 500mw for the U & L series respectively! A good chipset, LED screen, SSD and you will get some serious battery life...

VIA Nano L2100 processor 1.8GHz 800MHz 25W
    VIA Nano L2200 processor 1.6GHz 800MHz 17W
    VIA Nano U2400 processor 1.3+GHz 800MHz 8W
    VIA Nano U2500 processor 1.2GHz 800MHz 6.8W
    VIA Nano U2300 processor 1.0GHz 800MHz 5W

The Uxxx chips look it be very nice, unless they do an Intel and match them with an old power hungry chipset...lol
    As for the non low power versions, ill stick with my 17w Intel L9400 (1.86ghz Core2duo 6MB) but if they can make them for near Atom prices it could make for some very nice laptops, a bit bigger and faster than Netbooks, but without the price of Intel's low power chips...:thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  4. da_jimsta

da_jimsta Member

Awesome, just what everyone(me) wants for their super low powered multinational linux server!

5. thebranded

thebranded Member

the problem with VIA is once they announce something you dont see production units untill a year later!

I cant even recall seeing a Nano 1000 or 2000 netbook, so i would not expect to see a Nano 3000 netbook unitll late 2010.

But great stuff from VIA lol

I have 3 Via C7's great as torrenting machines if you want a bit more grunt than a dedicated BT/NAS

6. Danthemanz

Well that wouldnt be good. No one really knows how the next Atom will do, being In order im sure it wont be too good, but Via really have a large market to tap into right now if they can get things off the ground!

7. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Remember how Intel forced AMD out of OEM market space? I wouldn't be surprised if the same sort of thing was happening against Via.
    I mean, their Isaiah chips look great for low power notebooks. It doesn't make sense that OEM's would not try to sell them, unless there were some other forces/incentives involved.

I, for one, would love to have a Nano-based notebook, with enough power to be really useful for basic tasks, but with low power consumption and long battery life.
    Isaiah gives a great balance of both.

8. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i wish theyd release their stuff, im considering getting one of these since my torrentbox keeps freezing (old p4 2ghz with 512mb sd ram). i'd rather the nano 3000 though..

9. STUdog

STUdog Member

Man an old p4 is perfect, thats all u need for torrents, will prob run the same as an itx based system anyway.

10. Danthemanz

Yeah with only 10x the power draw!

11. STUdog

STUdog Member

He didnt mention anything about power, He mentioned it freezing. Nothing to do with power.

12. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

except that it is a huge power waster sitting idle, so really the opposite of perfect.

13. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

All that money you save with an old P4 can go towards future energy bills?

14. charithjperera

charithjperera Member

there's also the heat, noise and green ness factor on the VIA side.

15. friedsweasel

friedsweasel Member

Yes but you also need to factor in the resources used to make the chip, package it and send it over to Australia vs reusing an old chip. That said an old p4 system is only going to last so long so it and will eventually have to be replaced anyway.

16. mike-s

mike-s Member

The zotac looks nice, though you could always do what i did and buy an old via board second hand on fleabay.

I have gone through and replaced almost ALL my p4 based hardware, the only bastion of old power hungry-ness is my 3GHz P4-ht enabled laptop (i run it at low cpu power anyway). Everything else has been replaced by some new and less less power hungry hardware (mythbox went from p4 2.8 > e2140, file server went from a Athlon 1800 > LE-1250. so on, test pc from a Celeron D 330 to a EPIA pc1000 board, desktop got a speed boost donating its e2140 to the mythbox by getting an e5200).

17. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

the p4 started causing me problems anyway, ive ordered a matx mobo and a e5400. im just waiting for umart to reopen. will be good to get rid of the last IDE hdds and DDR ram

18. Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

This is very true.. thats why i run an ITX PC for it.. saves so much power..

19. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

well i ended up with a e5300, most of the time its only running at 1200mhz and everything is integrated with a NeoHE psu so i doubt its using that much power.

20. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I have an e3300 / Zotac 9300 / 4g / 2tb WD green.
    Runs nicely on a 60w pico ITX psu :)