VIA KT400 almost ready to roll

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by GreenBeret, Mar 27, 2002.

1. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

2. paulhoopen

paulhoopen Member

I wouldn't go for a new one even if I got it for free! via sucks

I always have had Intel based boards and tried the asus A7V133 Raid with a Via chipset
    I think it's the biggest crap having to use patches and patches having sound issues etc.etc. etc.
    all kinds of so called better Via4in1's

Sorry this was my first and mostlikely the last via based motherboard

3. gabbs19

gabbs19 Member

I have a a7v133 and i havnt had any major problems with it. I might go the kt400 when its tax time.

4. Creative

Creative Member

April has 30 days :D

5. Acid

Acid Member

I'll repeat what I said in the last KT400 thread..

"Why are you psyched for the KT400? The Athlon's slow bus can't even make use of DDR333 memory let alone DDR400. I'm waiting for a Pentium 4 chipset that supports DDR400 and a 533MHz bus personally."

6. OP
    OP
    GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Why ? Because WE ARE OVERCLOCKERS ! :D

7. OP
    OP
    GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Re: I wouldn't go for a new one even if I got it for free! via sucks

You gave up too early. I'm very suprised that you couldn't fix those issues. I've owned quite many VIA-based boards and have built many for friends. I have problems sometimes but I always manage to fix them. I always blame myself first, not the hardware or software, for the problems I have.

Btw, I haven't downloaded installed any 4in1's for a long time since WinXP was available.

8. Acid

Acid Member

lol.. I look forward to seeing what you can obtain on a KT400 system that you can't on a KT266A system with PC2100 memory.

9. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

from that popint of view evberybody should have staeyd with one of the first AMD 760 boards, from end of 2000 :D

10. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Really? I doubt you will see such aboard on OZ shores before June. And then you will see that the only difference to a KT266A or KT333 is AGP 8x, but nothing at all in performace. And anyway at the time of the KT400 market launch ppl will start talking about the successor to socket A boards, because the KT400 is the last one of it's kind. So, from that point of view, you better stay with a AMD 760 or KT266A board.

But anyway, I will try a KT400 board as soon as I can get one :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2002
  11. Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Hmmm, was reaching up to 182FSB on my KR7A with my Crucial PC2100 CL2.5 memory, and at that point I'm reaching the memory's limit. Mobo will do 210FSB stable.

Not sure I want the AGP/PCI dividers anyway. A high AGP bus speed is what improves 3D performance since the CPU->vid card transactions happen faster.

12. Acid

Acid Member

No because the new chipsets actually gave a performance difference. KT333/400 performs exactly the same.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Re: I wouldn't go for a new one even if I got it for free! via sucks

my first via board was a via apollo chipset. (not even the apollo pro). it sucked donkey balls in a huge way. since then i was always wary of via chispets, but recently took the plunge and got a KR7A (KT266a). yes you have to patch them and always stay on top of driver releases, but it was well worth it i say.

i agree that the duron/athlon arent the best CPUs for a 400MHz bus, but still it does sound tasty!

14. Jab

Jab Member

Reaper,

Don't take what Sisoft states too much at this stage, there is a known incompatibilty with the KT333 chipset.

I have spoken to Via, and they are working on it with Sisoft evidently.

Jim :)

15. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Well if its being released in April, then theoretically it should be a stable platform for when the Hammers come out in October. That's what the kt400's are for realistically....

mmm October...mega upgrade month :p

16. Lithium

Lithium Member

I think you guys are too optimistic about release dates in Aus.

I have been waiting for the ABIT KR7A-133 to appear on these shores for the past 3 months. It was released overseas in Nov/Dec last year, shortly after the KR7A was released. It still hasn't arrived!

I think Nov/Dec will be the more likely upgrade month :D

Lith

17. BlackPantha

BlackPantha Member

What are you talking about son??? The ABIT KR7A-RAID-133 has been out here for ages, I bought mine back around February.

18. xtortion

xtortion Member

i have an ASUS A7V333, and i know that it doesnt have much difference with my cousin's KT266A board, im very satisfied except that i spent a lot with the new board on the fact that i can get the 266 one for lesser but almost the same performance.

people buy this new stuff (with the same performance as the others) just to satisfy themselves that they have the latest MoBo on the market (just like me before), and to be honest... it feels a bit good (though others might find it unreasonable)

IMHO, get the latest one to your (im refering to the ones who are gonna buy) hearts content. anywayz, we're not the one who is gonna pay. :)

just my opinion..
    *poof* :cool: :cool: :cool:

19. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

well said, only thing I would add: I certainly use and enjoy 6-channel sound, USB 2.0, and Firewire on my A7V333, which are not available at KT266A board. I also like the 1/5 divider on the A7V333 which is not present at KT266A boards.

20. Lithium

Lithium Member

BlackPantha,

Yep you got the RAID 133 in February. The ABIT KR7A-133 is a different board, and has native ATA 133 on the primary and secondary IDE channels, not just on the RAID controller channels/

Lithium