VIA KT400 almost ready to roll

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by GreenBeret, Mar 27, 2002.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah actually thats what ive been hearing for quite a while now......didnt want to say anything because i obviously dont know for sure......but i have heard that they will be coming out under this name.

2. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Regardless the name, which according to what I have seen was always supposed to be KT400, I wonder what we get. Serial ATA is NOT intergrated in the Southbridge, it comes "only" with a controller and is utlizing the PCI bus. I hope we see soon some benchmarks. It looks like MSI will have their KT400 board out among the first.

3. VooDoo

VooDoo Large Member

what the...

um chainbolt i think i clicked "edit" instead of quote.

Um ... sorry mate. i just noticed. Also the Serial ATA is in the new southbridge. i saw working samples at computex with S ATA and the KT400

4. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I was already getting angry, but did not say anything, given the recent irritations, but it's good to know that it was mistake :) :)

regarding SATA, yes, VIA has announced a Soutbridge with integrated STA, but as far as I know, all now announced KT400 boards do not have have this Southbridge and come with a seperate controller, for example the just announced MSI board.

We had very long discussion about this in the SATA thread. The point is that with a controller you are behind the PCI bus, and that is no good.

5. DrunkBorg

DrunkBorg (Banned or Deleted)

Re: I wouldn't go for a new one even if I got it for free! via sucks

that is a very nieve thing to say - i have seen at least four of these things and have yet to see anything bad about them apart from the dodgy clips around the CPU socket

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think the Inquirer is a little off the mark........still....;)

7. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

This is a very good thread! I really like, always when it pops up again, I have to say something.

April hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... isn't it JULY now?

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At this rate Longhorn is going to arrive before the Inquirer is right! hehe ;)

Personally the later KT400 arrives the better.....im getting tired of upgrading all the time :)

9. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

by the way, despite some reports about this, KT400 boards are NOT yet on sales in Japan. They have on display a Gigabyte KT400, but not yet on sales.