Via mini-itx in $200 computer from Walmart

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by raisins, Nov 3, 2007.

1. raisins

raisins Member

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/200-everex-gree.html

Amusingly, even though the computer contains a mini-itx motherboard, it has been placed in what appears to be a micro-atx case, because:

:)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

That's pretty funny. I'm guessing that it's also in that case simply because they could get those cases cheaply. The case doesn't appear to be built for the job as it's got quite a few vents and a ~92mm fan on the side panel (which is far more airflow than they'd bother with if it was built specifically for a Via system).

It would have been nice if they'd teamed up with Asus and used the same version of Linux that is found on the Eee PC - that way people could move between the two super-budget PCs easily.

3. kogi

kogi Member

4. figrin

figrin Member

5. vindicator

vindicator Member

The Intel offerings use the SiS chip set which has horrible Linux support. Why they won't release specifications is beyond me.

6. Tony

Tony New Member

probably because SiS is dodgy as dogshit

i think that OEMs are going for uatx cases for the same reason we are... itx cases cost a fortune compared to mass market uatx

7. nanolimit

nanolimit Member

Thats pretty cool, wonder if they made it clear that they don't sell any software for linux ;)

Eitherway, for $200 I'd buy one and have a cheapo media box so I can finally retire my xbox

8. figrin

figrin Member

Why they don't use intel chipset is beyond me.

However, even though the SiS support in linux is horrible, it's not unusable. I am currently typing this on an Intel D201GLY with 2G of ram, running ubuntu, with sis video drivers that can do all the usual desktop things.

9. vindicator

vindicator Member

A 945GC would be pefect.

10. figrin

figrin Member

A silverthorn processor on a menlow desktop platform at a bargain price would be better ;)

11. SLATYE

That'd be wonderful. Even the i865G/GV wouldn't be so bad (at least it's an Intel chipset).

Unfortunately I suspect that they are deliberately not using Intel chipsets. If they did use Intel parts for all of it (Intel chipset, Intel CPU, Intel video, Intel network adaptor) then it'd be perfect for many businesses. Intel would prefer to that those businesses continued paying extra for Celeron 4xx and i945GC/G965/G31/G33 boards instead. By using a SiS chipset they can be fairly certain that anyone looking for "Intel stability" will keep buying more expensive hardware. Anyone who is looking for a super-low-budget system isn't likely to know the difference and will therefore have no problems with buying the SiS chipset.

Using the i945GC would also introduce DX9 graphics, which would allow Vista Aero. That brings it closer to the higher-end solutions again, which is probably not what Intel wants.

12. Tony

Tony New Member

i think ibm and hp both use sis for corporate managed desktops anyway

13. Unsong

Unsong Member

Seems like they're now also offering the PC1 motherboard from this computer separately, for US$60. :) Specs are as follows:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  14. SLATYE

Why does that board have an ATX12v power connector? Surely the C7 isn't using more than the ~70w that Athlon XPs used to use without an ATX12v plug?

15. wryun

wryun Member