Via MM3500 File Server

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Kodaz, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Kodaz

Kodaz Member

Hi,

Just set up a file server on a Via MM3500 based board, only complaint is lack of gigabit LAN. The 16x PCI-E is perfect for a high end RAID card. Put Windows 2003 on it without an issue and it's running along fine, barely off idle.

With it's power usage of 20w maximum it makes for a very good home file server choice.

Incidently it looks rather small inside a Chenbro 41416 case.

2. ACA:Sleeper

ACA:Sleeper Member

nice looking board, do you know how the cpu performs relative to amd/intel.
    The system looks suitable for a carputer. But will it render divx/dvd/HDDVD smoothly?

3. OP
    OP
    Kodaz

Kodaz Member

4. DrClaw

DrClaw Member

Nice.

I'm half-way through building a PC2500E based file server (http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_B-PC2500...500E_with_1.5GHz_VIA_C7-D_Processor_mATX.html) - I went for this board over the MM because this one has specific Linux support, and as I'll be running FreeBSD on this server I wanted to make sure everything was compatible.

Just waiting for my 2x TB drives to arrive (WD 10EACS drives - should be able to pick them up next week) so I can start installing. I went for the WD drives as they are nice low power consumption, but still with reasonable performance.

5. OP
    OP
    Kodaz

Kodaz Member

Thats looks like a nice board too. Throw in a couple of PCI based cards (or PCI-X) and you could run a few drives off o fit.