Via PC2500 - Anyone have one

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by brendanseabrook, Aug 28, 2007.

1. brendanseabrook

brendanseabrook Member

Saw this board on MegaPC

Very nice price and a nice range of features. Thinking of making a freeNAS box with one.

Anyone have one?

2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

That does look like a pretty nice board, but you can get better performance and features for the price.

Asus M2N8-VMX + Sempron 2800+ = $97 from MSY.

That gives you a quicker CPU, quicker onboard video, two more RAM slots, Gigabit LAN, and PCIe for expansion. If you don't need many HDDs, that seems to be ideal (M2N8-VMX only supports 2x SATA drives + 2x PATA drives; the Via board seems to be 2x SATA + 4x PATA).

3. OP
    OP
    brendanseabrook

brendanseabrook Member

Thanks for your reply.

True, very true.

However the Via has 2 more things going for it.
    Ultra quiet fan (possibly turn fan off if undervolted enough)
    12 Watt power on load Vs 62 for the semperon 2800

All I want it for is a something I can run 1 HDD (possibly flash card) from and download from BitTorrent 24/7.
    I want to be wireless so the onboard NIC wont be used much and the only thing it needs to display is Azureus.

4. SLATYE

Fair enough. For a basic system (even an office system if you know the user won't be playing any games), this looks like a good board/CPU.

If you modded a bigger heatsink on to the CPU and chipset (maybe a pair of Thermalright HR-05 chipset coolers) then it'd easily run passively and it'd also be effectively immune to dust (which could be very useful sometimes).

5. blt

blt Member

I saw this the other day as well and thought of using is for a HTPC.

But I couldn't figure out if it came with TV out. I've seen references to it being optional on the PC2500 platform but can't find a retailer with the "optional" cable/dongle etc.

Anyone also know if the VIA PCI riser boards for other VIA motherboards work on this one?

6. zebu

zebu Member

I have one of these on its way to me.

Ill benchmark/etc and post up how it goes when it arrives

7. g00nster

g00nster Member

i got mine yesterday and added 512mb of ddr2 in it and its currently doing its job as a torrent box (its replacing a old via 533mhz box)

performance is great, from power on to xp screen takes about 1-2 seconds. does not feel laggy at, heatsink is cold to the touch.

thumbs on for this box.

want me to do any specific tests on it?

8. g00nster

g00nster Member

9. zebu

zebu Member

yep mines going to be dedicated torrent/storage/radio streaming box

my main pc draws over 200w at idle according to one of those little power meter things so im looking for the low power for my 24/7 needs

10. SLATYE

Only power requirements in this case - the board appears to be mATX.

11. urban_s0ulja

urban_s0ulja (Banned or Deleted)

i had a few of these in the for sale forum but no one seemed interested
    excellent job for its purpose :)
    use one as a torrent box/file server.
    Another ones going into my car very soon :)
    excellent boards for the purpose it was designed for

12. g00nster

g00nster Member

size is still a factor. it does not need a massive hsf like its mATX counterparts- my entire box is 6cm tall

13. vindicator

vindicator Member

The Sempron can be undervolted and run passively. You'll find that the power usage is very comparable, maybe 10W extra.

14. jboles

jboles Member

It's substantially smaller than mATX. Aside from being slightly narrower (3 slots, conforming to flexATX rather than the 4-slot mATX form factor) it's a lot shorter (front-to-back) than usual mATX boards.

15. MegaPC

MegaPC Member

I've played around with one last week. Set up a system for surveillance with a DVR card and 4 cameras. It handled them very well. The system ran a lot faster than I expected considering the lack of grunt of previous VIA CPU models.

PC Mark 2002 gave it just under 2k for both CPU and RAM, which is pretty low, but I thought real life performance was quite good.

The heatsink on the CPU is very small and has a 4cm fan mounted on it which does make a bit of noise. If you want to make it passive, it would probably run fine with a Zalman Northbridge heatsink without a fan.

Main features of the mobo: Onboard graphics, sound, 2 PCI slots, 2 DDR2 slots, FP Audio pins, 4 USB ports on board + pins for another 4, Serial port, LAN, 2 SATA150 ports.

In my opinion, ideal applications would include: Surveillance PC, Server/Leecher, or even a basic web browsing and email PC for your grandma :tongue:

BTW, pictures and manufacturer link updated HERE.

16. Vow

Vow Member

I'm looking to put together a cheap Linux box, and came across the same thing. Pretty good for the price.

Ugh now you're just trying to confuse me. I like the low power consumption on the Via, the box will be running 24/7 so that's important.

Can't decide. Any other cheap/low power stuff around? Gotta make a choice. :(

17. SLATYE

Those are the only two I'd consider for low-power + low-price. For a cheap box which won't have to do any games or HD videos, you may as well just stick with the Via one.

18. Vow

Vow Member

Yeh I've ordered one today, hopefully it gets here by the weekend. :D

19. newmarket

newmarket Member

Has anyone measured the AC power consumption?

I'd love to get one, but am really interested to know how much current it draws in real life.

20. wryun

wryun Member