VIA SATA card

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by -KoMoD0-, Nov 9, 2007.

1. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

That should be fine. I'm not 100% sure that it'll work with SATA2 drives, but most of them have a jumper on the back to force SATA1 mode anyway.

3. jboles

jboles Member

Will be fine, but while connected drives will show up in windows, don't expect to be able to boot off it. I bought two similar-looking cards off ebay from different sellers, also based on the via vt6421. One didn't have a BIOS chip and the other did, but it must be empty as no messages appear during boot and connected drives can't be booted from.

A BIOS is required for booting off drives attached to the card. Without a BIOS, nothing can be accessed until Windows has started and the drivers are loaded.

The cards support RAID through the via drivers, but again without a BIOS, the array isn't bootable.

If you need to be able to boot off attached drives, I'd recommend getting one of the SiI based cards. They perform similarly but all the ones I've encountered had BIOSes on them.

edit: also be aware that only 2 out of the 3 sata ports can be used at any one time.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  4. Tony

Tony New Member

that photo has a bios chip on it

but i wouldn't trust a photo on a $11 card

5. OP
    OP
    -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

Doesn't matter if i cannot boot of it, and for $13 if its shit its no big loss