Via / sound blaster crackling issue

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Peacekeeper, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

This is the issue I have spent 10hrs on reading "solutions" on the net

I put my p3v4x in my son's case with same video and sb64 that i originally had in my PC. Everything ok except sound card crackles all the time in games where cpu usage high.

Tried reformating.
    swapping slots
    Setting irqs to fixed irq for slot
    no irq/dma clashes at all
    disabled legacy sb driver
    set pci latency =0 and 64
    disable dma all drives
    swap both hard disks to primary controller.
    insulate mb/case connection
    removed all bar sb and video card
    tried either ram stick
    loaded windows me
    even ran pci to cpu latency program to set this to 0.
    did a dance around it

I heard set memory hole enable in bios helps but this not available in p3v4x bios.

The strange issue is there are a lot of posters re this on various forums and all wrt via all have solutions but none worked except I suppose replace with another non Creative card.

Via have not a definitive solution so wondering if anyone have any more suggestions. Why it now occurs in this PC beats me. Did not happen in other PC.
    Thanks

2. DeLaw340

DeLaw340 Member

Knowing what you know about Computers you probably already checked the power supply. but I thought I would bring it up anyway. I have had a SB live in my P3V4X since that board came out and I have never had any problems that couldn't be fixed with the software.

3. OP
    OP
    Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Hee thats what got me flumoxed been helping others with p3v4x issues and rarely seen this 1. Though plenty reports on net. about lives and it. The sb64 was running in the same case for 6mths perfectly before the p3v4x was installed so I assumed the 250w ps is pk. It was also running in the p3v4x for 8mths on a 250w ps .

Havent another ps though may try putting my live in it today.
    trying to fix without buying new stuff as the hardware was ok.

Thanks for your suggestion
    Tony

4. OP
    OP
    Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

ER kinda solved . I bought an cheap 16 bit sound card non creative and before I tried it removed the creative drivers and rebooted. Damn windows Me found the SBpci64 and loaded its own drivers Creative audio pci(es1370) and that works no crackling. Also no sb legacy drivers but who cares. Ok now to sell a new 16 bit sound card. Surprised it is a software fix.
    :( :)

5. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

Peacekeeper

All sb16 variants CRACKLE badly on any via south bridge with pci-isa brodge (i have confirmed this on other sites, old forums, others, diff mobos blah blah)

My YMF724 crackles heavily when share with any of the com ports
    simple fix was set com2 on p3v4x to use irq10

whats weird is it doesnt do it anymore when share com+sound

>>I heard set memory hole enable in bios helps but this not >>available in p3v4x bios.

sorry but thats BS - memory hole is the 15-16mb option and has been in all p3v4x bios

the VIA side of things is they WONT patch anything that isnt been wingined about. the sb16 problem is was and always will be worse than the live peoblem. the live problem with esp amd platform some people didnt expeiene. VIA made a permant version of a users PATCH and havent fixed anything, their core logic is f'd and is a cheap copy of intels core logic

because all the 'web sites' kept winging oh live dont work with via, via reacted. all the ac97 cards (every consumer pci card is ac97) have issues

my yamaha came out of a bx mobo, took me 1 week to get working (enumeration problems), it was like as if the bx mobo turned off the card and all the slot swapping and etc etc turned on the card(and no it wasnt irq problem at first, the bios device table screen wouldnt list the card but the os detected it, end of the week i got it working properly somehow, still using the card its nice ,and removing replaceing the card works fine now)

another person (araknid i think) got rid of the sb64 cause win2k driver non existant or had everything missing

did you use exactly same periperals on pc #2 ? eg serial or ps2 mouse etc etc

what i am finding weird is if you moved the mobo and cards over exactly there would be no issues, issues could/will occur iff you change what cards are in what slots i have found p3v4x has problems when you remove/replace cards as per enumeration ,replace card in same slot it wont enumerate the card, swapping cards around, reseting escd/clear bios helps.

VIA is a very very weird chipset, you can compare it to cola. VIA is the no name colour that looks the same, fizzes the same but tastes yuk

6. OP
    OP
    Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Sorry replied to another thead of yours before I saw this reply.
    Re memory hole statement I wondered where that went The bios scrolls down and it is at the bottom hidden from dumb me.

I take it it does zilch.

Set comm port to 10 with sound wierd. I run comm ports off but will remember that.

My live never had a problem in the p3v4x nor did i notice the sbpci64 have an issue. The Sb64 was in the PC for 8mths the Live for 6.

The video, sound, 1 hard drive and mouse all were in original case. The NIC is same model in both.

Asus emailed to say put card on a set irq and set lsb emulation to legacy . Had already tried that.

Seems u have gone deeper into this than me. Have u tried the ME drivers ?

Weirdness not having a logical solution, thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

What is more weird in 14 mths helping people on asus netq noone asked help for this issue.

Tony 1 year older.

7. adzza

adzza New Member

What version of Windows OS do you have ? I heard that if we turn off ACPI on BIOS Setting and after that, fresh reinstall Windows (98, 98 SE, WinMe and maybe Win2000) without ACPI capable, it can solve the crackling problem.

Why ACPI ? because this feature will be manage all peripheral Plug'n Play and it seems SoundBlaster didn't like this feature... maybe SoundBlaster think, "I can managed my self !!! Don't disturb me !!" Hehehe :D

8. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

mate What me drivers

98se and me use same drivers

i dont use WDM cause no hw accel or sensura besides they wortk the same, only diff is the legacy irq is dropped and main codec irq is used

P.S matrox say enable USB when installing 4in1 and video cause thats what via told em

i said all is good now anyway
    just waiuting on proper wdm 2k drivers with hw acceleration (they got 4 channel+spdif standard in wdm)

9. adzza

adzza New Member

No Hardware Acceleration ?? oooo, that's why WDM driver more slower than original driver (mine VxD for SBAWE32 ISA). Since WDM driver is slower than VxD driver, I will not use WDM again.

About WDM on Win2000, all I know that Win2000 didn't support SoundBlaster AWE32 or SB16 :mad:

10. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

did i say sb16 ?

read what people write

i was talking about yamaha

sb16 has no hw accel anyway

2k=wdm or nothing
    9x=vxd or wdm

no wdm for sb16 and 32

use rev16 vxd for sb16 driver sbw95up.exe 98/me/etc

11. OP
    OP
    Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

All i know is windows me installs a driver called "creative audio PCI(Es 1370) sbpci 64/12899wdm)

If i load this 1 no crackles if i load the sbPCI64 with or with the update carckles . Done this 3 times.I still have hardware acceleration in sound multimedia soes that mean i have it? Maybe hardware acceleration =0 will do same with the other drivers.

This is getting stranger

btw where in bios is acpi disabled.

12. KngtRider

KngtRider Member

you cant disable acpi in asus bios - they make proper acpi impleentation

do it from OS - and i strongly do not advice disable acpi

use sandra to view hw accel capabailites (directx applet)

13. OP
    OP
    Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Thanks did not think there was an acpi change bios setting.
    Tony