VIA vs. Realtek onboard sound

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Mau1wurf1977, May 14, 2009.

1. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

How does the VIA sound chip compared against Realtek.

Most mainboards come with realtek, but some have the VIA VT1708. Any good?

2. spAm^bOy

spAm^bOy Member

I'll chime in and say both are crap - spend $55 on a Xonar U1. It would be a marked improvement on either onboard solution.

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I don't have any with VIAs but I have a few with Realteks and am not impressed with them.

The iMac has impressed me with audio quality (did I really say a mac impressed me? hmmm), I've seen conflicting reports about it using Realtek and Wolfson chips. :confused:

4. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Well I had a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer before, and to be honest for Music and TV shows I can't tell the difference. I'm very happy with both.

For games I know the X-Fi is better as it takes bit of work away from the CPU.

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

well if you mean the usual mp3s and tv rips of course its going to sound no different if the source is bad to begin with.

but with a nice flac or bd and some nice headphones theres night and day difference between a cheap xonar and onboard :)

op: you probably mean adi unless you mean onboard ac97 then which yeah a tin can makes a better noise.

6. Pablo_H

Pablo_H Member

I'm deciding between two boards for a new system. One has VIA® VT1828S the other has Realtek ALC888 ac97.
    Is either of them remarkably worse that the other?
    PCI slots are at a premium on mobos these days, and my budget can't extend to a decent sound card anyway.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  7. smiddi

smiddi Member

^ +1 from me

8. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

The current iMac uses an ALC885.

OP -> My motherboard with a VIA codec (1708B) has troublesome drivers. In Windows 7, the optical output shuts its self off after 5 minutes for some reason! So frustrating, I have to go back to analogue. So I'd say Realtek, purely for the software.

9. Comma

Comma Member

OSX also uses Core Audio, which is a vastly superior driver than anything for windows.

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Core Audio isn't a driver, it's an API.

11. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Thanks for all the input!

Its odd that Asus puts VIA or ADI sound chips on their entry level boards. Wheras every other mobo company uses Realtek...

Realtek update their drivers all the time. To be honest I am not sure why they update it so often. What is it they are changing?

With my current realtek (ALC662 Audio Codec) I have had zero issues under XP, Vista and W7 in games, music, HD whatever...

Now the Asus board I am looking at uses the VIA codec. So I might just go with Gigabyte simply because I don't want to have issues with the sound and forced to get a dedicated sound card...

I remember I had a Asus P5B and there where issues with ADI chip in games and I bought a XFi in the end...

Quality wise I don't care really. I just want something that works and it looks like realtek is the way to go as far as having zero issues.

12. mtma

mtma Member

I've two ASUS boards with the VIA onboard, and I can say that they're not particularly different in the audio department compared to the realtek chips. I personally haven't had issues with drivers with these chips. I can say however the effects and the equaliser in the drivers are horrible, but you can avoid using them easily.

I haven't had good experiences with other aspects of these ASUS boards however, but that's for another thread.

13. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

AFAIK not on vista and win7, all the processing is done via the CPU.

14. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Newer drives have fixed these problems. VIA and realtek is really much of a muchness, as most of the work these "sound cards" do is done via software.

15. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Just choose the most common, Realtek.

16. foxhole

foxhole Member

Any of the VIA Envy series give cleaner sound than Realtek's offerings, away from that it's probably much of a muchness, either will offload dsp duties to the CPU. Pretty much have to go to one of the endless EMU10k revisions from Creative to get away from that now, but fortunately they have pretty decent sound, Audigy2 and beyond being quite excellent.

17. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

The sound quality has pretty much fuck all to do with the SPU, and a lot to do with the DAC, and components used in the analogue circuitry as well as the analogue circuitry itself.

The SPU processes the sound before it's converted to analogue.

18. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Interesting . So by that rational if you are outputting audio over hdmi as unencoded there is absolutely no reason to buy a better sound card . Except for the fact that better soundcards offload some processing off the cpu . How many FPS are we talking in an average game ?

19. IamDan

IamDan Member

Was gonna ask the same thing.. I go digital out, does it just pass it through or is there some trickery involved?

20. 3Tone

3Tone (Banned or Deleted)

You would be correct. If you're running digital out all the DAC is done by the amp. I'm running the realtek 889 on my mobo via optical to my Integra receiver. Sounds amazing!