Viable alternative to Lightroom 6 for OSX

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Azrael, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Completely sick of Adobe's insistence on forcing people to pay for CC when we already own offline versions that work just fine.
    The latest comes with Lightroom 6 still running deprecated 32bit code in its GPS module, but Adobe havent done anything about updating it. So it wont work on any future versions of OSX.

What is more my copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro keeps trying to update Lightroom 6 and breaks the authentication for LR6, requiring a phone call to Adobe during business hours to get it fixed.

Therefore looking for an alternative that doesn't require forking out for a useless service that does nothing more than what I have already paid good money for.

I have already shifted my photo manipulation, design and layout apps to Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher respectively. But no good solution for a Lightroom replacement.

The one sticking requirement i keep having is the ability to write sidecar (XMP type) files, rather than integrate into a library. Rsync is just more efficient at syncing sidecars.

Currently trying darktable and Luminar 3, as they both have free trials, and im currently locked out of LR6. But all ears on alternatives.

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Garbage.

I've dabbled with it a number of times and while it's very good I just keep coming back to paying Adobe stupid money to keep using lightroom :(

DXO Photolab is great too. Definitely check out their denoise tool. As a M43 user it was quite appealing!

3. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Just played with Luminar, seems ok except it is internal only and no XMP support. Fail.

Darktable was just horrible in terms of load times and interface, no thanks.

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Eh for the small amount of money per year for both LR and PS I think it's worth it.

So many threads of people trying to go with alternatives, only to go back to LR.

I would explore Capture One if you are looking for a proper alternative.

5. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

Capture One kills Lightroom. It takes a little learning how they do things as some of it is quite different, but once you learn it can be so much more powerful. Perfomance is fantastic. They have stacks of really good tutorial vids for free. It's by far the best Fuji raw converter that I've used too.

I tried Luminar for over a year which I bought on promised features that never arrived. They ended up giving me a full refund. App is garbage and aimed at casuals who just want to automagical their photos with a couple of clicks. It also doesn't support colour management.

On1 Photo RAW is quite good, but really chocks up when you get into any serious editing. Doesn't handle shadow noise well for Fuji which ultimately made me look elsewhere when combined with the performance issues.

6. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

I’ll give capture one a go again then. LR just isn’t worth it for the 3-4 times a year I need to edit RAW

7. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Massive DxO PhotoLab advocate here; phenomenal RAW processing in particular. Needs a beefy processor/RAM combo.

Free to try for 30 days though...

8. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Capture One keeps crashing, so thats out.

Will try DxO

9. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

May as well grab the suite for trial; PhotoLab, FilmPack and ViewPoint - all work in really well together.

10. Aushiker

Aushiker Member

I am curious as if Lightroom isn't worth it, why would something like Capture One be given it is around the same dollars if not more?

11. Aushiker

Aushiker Member

Sounds like a problem with your computer?

NismoR31 and Deftone2k like this.
  12. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Also what I have been thinking...

13. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

C1 has a buy once option. They don't force you to sub like Adobe do now.

14. Aushiker

Aushiker Member

I guess if you have no intention of upgrading then this is an option for sure. If you are likely to upgrade you might want to do the maths to see if it is worth while given your intended upgrade timeline

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'd urge you to re-test it annually. Its current rate of development is quite rapid.

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

On the open source front still, RawTherapee is more of a raw format editor (only a subset of what Lightroom offers). Maybe worth checking out:

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

17. Athiril

Athiril Member

DxO Photolab and Capture One. I don’t think there are any other options that exist that are both photo managers with integrated non destructive editing that actually work properly.

There is a lot of problems with CC but there is not a single alternative that exists for me since there’s no other subscription based apps that do any of what Lightroom does.

The integrated non destructive editing cloud backup that you can share albums from and do online proofing without having to render export and reupload manually somewhere, edits sync online automatically without reuploading image data.

Can sync after shooting and share proofing links via iPad etc before I’d otherwise even get home to even start inserting the SD card into a laptop.