Via's new cpu: Isaiah

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by raisins, Jan 26, 2008.

1. raisins

raisins Member

Via is preparing to launch a new CPU codenamed Isaiah.

It has 2 to 4 times the performance of Via's current C7 but it fits in the same power envelope, and is apparently pin-compatible with the C7.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1MCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

"We saw a 1.4GHz CN processor running a Blu-ray HD video easily as well as a 1.2GHz passsively cooled CN running 720P video content and plowing through a desktop application benchmark... Without a doubt, what was most impressive was seeing a 1.8GHz CN processor running Crysis. While I am not going to go out of on a limb and say it was the best Crysis experience you might have, there is no doubt that this low power “UMPC” processor was more than up to the task... it a is certainly that the CN/Isaiah processor is more than up to the tasks that might be thrown its way in the UMPC segment."

See also:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/via-cpu-isaiah.ars

2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

That's a pretty impressive achievement. I wonder whether they'll make the onboard video capable of running Crysis too...

Presumably this will end up being used in the NanoBook design. At the moment the Celeron-M @ 630MHz in the EeePC probably gives it a small speed advantage over the NanoBook (C7 @ 1.2GHz) - but an Isaiah at 1.2GHz would easily beat both of them.

3. Jamson

Jamson Member

Wow, thats interesting. :O A VIA CPU running Crysis.

4. K3nii

K3nii (Banned or Deleted)

TDP = 20w WOW

5. thebranded

thebranded Member

so with the same pin layout it means you can upgrade a current C7 to this?

witha 2-4x increase i'll be sold

6. TravMan

TravMan (Banned or Deleted)

Would be perfect i could play HD content in my car :D

7. SLATYE

I doubt it. The CPUs tend to be soldered down.

What it does mean is that manufacturers won't have to re-design their mainboards or heatsinks to use the new CPUs, which should result in it being available earlier and at lower costs than if it required a new layout.

8. AJR

AJR Member

Good on you VIA! We need more competition! :thumbup:

9. droo

droo Member

it'll be interesting to see where they go next

10. SLATYE

I don't think that Via really wants to be competition to AMD and Intel in the main desktop PC market. They're perfectly happy to concentrate on the low-power, low-performance, low-cost market (not that the Isaiah is really a 'low-performance' CPU any more).

The Isaiah should compete nicely with Intel's mini-ITX offerings, and of course it makes the low-cost UMPC market pretty interesting (Via's got the Nanobook/Cloudbook, Intel's got the ClassMate/EeePC, AMD's got the OLPC XO-1 laptop).

Everex's gPC (C7-D 1.5GHz) has been pretty popular in America. Considering the average user (probably someone who doesn't have much money and has almost never used a computer before) it doesn't need a whole lot of processing power - but being able to handle HD video would be nice. It'd also open the path for Everex to release a low-budget HTPC.

If Via and Everex could take over the low-budget HTPC, UMPC, and desktop markets (maybe the low-budget laptop market too, with their Via-based 15.4" laptop) they'd be in a position to cause trouble for the Semprons and Celerons. They'd also be in a great position to really annoy Microsoft, since all the budget Via-based PCs come with Linux by default.

EDIT: As was mentioned in the [H] article, Via may have issues actually producing enough to satisfy demand. Hopefully they'll get a decent contract with IBM or TMSC. That article also suggested the possibility of a dual-core version, which would be nice (especially if they go to 45nm; building it on the 45nm process will approximately halve the area of the chip, so they could make a dual-core with the same amount of silicon).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  11. archie

archie Member

according to the [H] article, 1st page2nd paragraph.

12. figrin

figrin Member

13. Cannula

Cannula Member

It's awesome what VIA can do with under 20W, I hope one day to be able to buy a reasonably fast machine for gaming in mini-ITX format or less. :thumbup:

14. isaaus

isaaus Member

You can get a Cromwell Board where you can drop a Core 2 Duo and 2gb Ram and a PCI-E 16x card for gaming system. Just not expect it to be cheap.

15. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Actually an "ok" price considering the cost of some 775 high end boards - their boards are around $330ish

16. SLATYE

Via are generally happy to accept somewhat lower profit per CPU than Intel, so the Isaiah models should be pretty affordable.

Yes, it'll definitely be interesting. I do have to wonder just how much performance Intel have lost by removing ~360 million transistors (comparing Penryn at 410 million to Silverthorne at 47 million).

About 25 million transistors in Silverthorne will be cache, versus 300 million in Penryn. That leaves 22 million for the processing core and other bits in Silverthorne; Penryn has 110 million for both processing cores and the other parts. I wouldn't expect to have more than ~10 million transistors used for things like cache control and CPU organisation in Penryn, which would leave roughly 50 million transistors per core. If that's right, Intel would have to have eliminated essentially half the core to get Silverthorne down to its current size.

17. INerTIal

INerTIal Das Uber LemMinG

As noted in one of the articles the Silverthorne design is an "In Order" processing design. Where as the Isaiah is an "Out Of Order" design. Silverthorne may be coming from chip giant Intel, but they are gonna have to do something pretty amazing to get silverthorne to perform well with such an out-dated design.

18. SLATYE

Ah, that'd make sense. It'll be interesting to see how much Intel can do with it - maybe Intel and Via CPUs in the low-end market will swap positions.

I really hope that Via do some work with their onboard video. Almost all the Via-based systems I've seen are still using Unichrome Pro graphics (DX7). If they could release a DX10 IGP (or even try to persuade buyers to use the Chrome9 DX9 IGP on their latest chipsets) then that'd be nice.

19. isaaus

isaaus Member

If you consider that you can get same or better specifications for sub$80 board, which is only few cms bigger then it suddenly doesn`t seem ok price.

That being said, they are fantastic for the job they are created for. I had a brief chance to use a pentium-M board and the board felt like a high end board.

Simply they are charging what the market for the board expects to pay. For example you can get a Toyota Corolla for $19,000 with everything included because people in Aussie are ready to fork that much out. While if you goto India, you will have to fork out Rs.1,156,000($34285) for exactly same car because people are ready to pay that much.

All about filling that market niche.