Video card for 3D Bluray?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Revenger, May 29, 2019.

1. Revenger

Revenger Member

Now that Nvidia has discontinued stereoscopic 3D support what video cards work with PowerDVD etc for Bluray 3D?

I was using a GTX 560 (Legacy driver as its been discontinued) which I still use but with recent windows updates means powerdvd can't switch to 3D as the Nvidia 3D setup errors out (I have a supposed fix to enable 3D bypassing the setup I am yet to try)

But if I need a new videocard to watch Bluray 3D movies or any files that are 3D SBS / O&U, duel video stream MKV etc, I was thinking of switching to a AMD card RX 560/570.

I use my PS3 mostly for Bluray 3D DTS-MA but that it can't do TrueHD at the same time as 3D (TrueHD no 3D works though) for for those discs I use my HTPC.

So any recommendations?

I'll let you all know hot the 3D setup bypass fix goes for older Nvidia drivers.

2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

For anyone reading I took the gamble on a used AMD RX 570.
    Turned out a great decision in this regard.
    Just tried Secret Life of Pets in PowerDVD 3D TrueHD and working fine.
    No Stereoscopic 3D setting to turn on or adjustments to be made in the AMD driver, 'It Just Works .TM.'

So happy about this.

8MadDog8 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Though yesterday I ran into a distortion issue where the audio from HDMI was distorting same as this video so I re-installed the driver with the optional one from stable / recommended using the clean option and will see what happens.
    Don't know what would have caused it as the system doesn't really have anything installed just Windows 1903 (clean install) and a couple media player apps PowerDVD and MPC-HC and AMD drivers with iMon drivers etc.
    Will keep a ear on it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Just a update the latest optional driver seems to be working no distortion etc.
    Haven't had any issues playing media every day since installing it.

IN4M3 and Umbrella Corp. like this.