Video card or monitor issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Squidy, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So much lose in this thread. He has replaced everything but the monitor and GPU, including the cables. Its the monitor or GPU. It only happens via the GPU, and not while using onboard graphics.

The GPU is fucked. /Thread.

2. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Agreed. Might be time to bake it when it gets worse :tongue:

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

Or return it under warranty first??

4. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Of course :thumbup:

nope likes this.
  5. nope

nope Member

dont worry op my 1080 shat itself, artifacts and horrible performance just ended up being the thermal paste dried out and cracked on the gpu itself. nekmin repasted with noctura thermal jizz Two 12cm fans zip tied to the bugger fixed it and the temps as well

6. OP
    OP
    Squidy

Squidy Member

Gigabyte Aorus 5 Gaming
    1080 Gigabyte Premium Gaming Pack
    I7 8700
    1100W Corsair PSU
    No overclocks

nope likes this.
  7. nope

nope Member

noice, that psu doe holy shit

8. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

For real that is some serious overkill.

OP have you enquired about returning the card? I and many others on the thread are pointing the finger squarely on that piece of hardware as the root of your problem. Faulty cards happen. I had one at the start of the year. Replaced in a week under warranty.

nope likes this.
  9. nope

nope Member

he needs to get another test system together its how i found out my ram was fucked any nothing else, on the downside its not cheap on the upside you can flip the test system and make your money back

pwlm1975 likes this.
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You can't even borrow one from a mate?

This is why I basically have a second rig with second monitor....so I have ready spare parts just in case something goes wrong.

11. OP
    OP
    Squidy

Squidy Member

Thanks all, I'll take the video card back under warranty. I got it from MSY and have heard many horror stories with warranties but I'll check anyhow. Worse comes to worse in the meantime I can use the onboard video.

Thanks again to you all for your help.

12. nope

nope Member

Yeah just about to do the same to mine, just reducing clocks gradually

13. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

My card replacement was done through MSY. They tested it while I was there and it screwed up first try. I found them OK, I also took in some happy snaps of what the card was doing.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Something like that is going to always be a straight forward replacement, it's just when it's an intermittent issue or subjective where they may be a problem with the retailer.

15. OP
    OP
    Squidy

Squidy Member

Well, its intermittent. Sometimes it happens a few times in half an hour, sometimes it wont happen for a week or so. Funny thing is I ran stress tests on it for ages and sat here watching it... temps went through the roof... not a single artifact (which is why I was thinking it ws likely the monitor)

16. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Depends what you mean by "through the roof" - and stress testing may not necessarily stress the VRAM out, which is the primary culprit where artefacting is concerned.

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Not necessarily true, VRAM artefacts are different to GPU artefacts but GPU artefacts are usually the most common as it happens when the BGA leader solder underneath the chip has bad contact due to either mishandling of card or flexing (happens without the user knowing). GPU artefacts are easy to fix (with the exception of the GPU core going south), VRAM artefacts are not, usually occurs when VRAM is faulty, exhibited thermal runaway, physical damage including coupling components near or underneath it, bad batch of IC's from manufacturer (Samsung, Hynix etc.) or running on very bad timings due to bad vbios from manufacturer and finally overclocked too much.

18. OP
    OP
    Squidy

Squidy Member

Out of curiousity, what do you mean by thermal runaway?

19. OP
    OP
    Squidy

Squidy Member

Although... I did realise that the adhesive on the vram is basically ripped off. Half of it seems to be gone. I didn't think much of it, but it may be on the VRAM? so the vram is partially overheating and may be causing the artifacts

20. OP
    OP
    Squidy

Squidy Member

Quick question, if the vram is causing the issue but only sporadically, is it safe to assume the vram is saveable? or has the damage already been done?