Video cropping software recommendation

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by nic55, Mar 28, 2017.

1. nic55

nic55 Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on software I can use to crop parts of a larger video as movie maker wasn't too happy when I threw an 11gb file at it.

I have an 11gb, 4hr MPEG-TS file (all music videos) and I'd like to crop out the ones of interest to me (several 3-5m clips).

I successfully used ffmpeg manually defining stop/start point to grab a couple, but this will quickly get time consuming compared to a gui where you could click start/stop points on several clips at once.

Thanks!

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Super easy in premiere... not sure on free ones.

3. OP
    OP
    nic55

nic55 Member

Thanks for the tip!

It occurred to me it will be loads easier to pull the ones I want straight from youtube :)

4. encode

encode Member

Mac or Windows?

Under Mac I use MPEG Streamclip as a nice free gui frontend to ffmpeg. Looking at their website it seems there is a windows version too. It can do cutting without re-encoding.

5. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

I do a lot of video editing and use Cyberlink Powerdirector... costs about $100 but I've found it to be a good investment.

You can import all sorts of media, the timeline is cut and paste, you can cut and then easily shift the section and 'add' more video if you cut too short.

Scaling and cropping is very straightforward, as is making simple mods like transitions, volume and opacity changes etc.