Video/Photo Journal of Lego Journey!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Madengineer, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ok so over the holidays every term, I do a new big build to add to my collection. These holidays it's the Bucket Excavator.

Unfortunately, I'm also sick at the moment, which kinda got in the way of my plans, which was to do a 'live stream' of sorts as a huge marathon of building. Unfortunately, I've only managed to do 1 bag set a day (roughly 2 hours a day).

But alas, I've come up a new idea! :D

Currently deciding whether I pull down the last half of the build that I've completed so far to check the cogs. Really couldn't be bothered, so I probs wont (it's only a display model, won't actually get used).

Will be doing a proper live stream build of the Bugatti when it arrives early next week! I was supposed to be doing that right now instead, but shipping was delayed.

I know we have a dedicated LEGO thread, but I feel I'd just keep clogging it up with all my posts (of which there will most likely be lots).

I've got plans to do 4 minor sets over 10 weeks, with 1 major every 10 weeks.
    Next up will be the Bugatti and then Hogwarts. :)

It'll all be streamed via my Twitch channel in sig, but also here: https://www.twitch.tv/made92

Anywho. Here's the first of many video updates on my progress of 42055:

mad_mic3 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ok so worked out the cog that wasn't working. Turns out it hadn't popped into place properly when I put it all together. It was sitting on the edge of the one below, which meant it wouldn't spin. A bit of jiggering and it fell into place nicely.

But then I fucked up again still, and didn't leave the required gap between two pieces, which meant the cog attached to that didn't make contact at all. Unfortunately, it was early on in the excavator section, and I don't have it in me to pull it down to rectify. Instead I'm going to cut a couple of pieces to move it all without disassembly.

upload_2019-4-20_21-10-49.png

A bit of a size comparison. Once complete it's meant to be 76cm long.

mad_mic3 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So so many cogs. I’ve missed a key cog, as 3/4 of the functions aren’t working. But that is quite far down in the build unfortunately. I don’t think I would’ve made such a huge mistake if I wasn’t sick :(

It also seems to be quite low. Googling tells me that’s where it’s supposed to be. I don’t like it.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I just did the finishing touches. Feels good to put it all together! Will do an actual video to show its moving parts. Will be attaching all the stickers tomorrow once my fingers aren't begging to be cut off! :D

Potentially looking at pulling it right back down to figure out why the cogs aren't spinning properly. But just the thought of that makes me want to cry... :(

The only bit that's currently working properly is the side conveyor belt, but every single other cog has massive resistance (to the point you think you'll snap it).

I'll also say, I'm a little disappointed in the build quality. There are some parts that feel incredibly flimsy, which is disappointing.

Particularly the tower piece that you attach the excavator to. There is considerable flex.

I'm debating if/when I pull it down, I build it's two in one model instead, which actually looks amazing as well (don't get me wrong, this is a beast of a build). Would strongly recommend this to any Technic fan. (I'm not going to leave the motor on it - Going to use it elsewhere, as this model will be strictly look at).

[​IMG]

mad_mic3 likes this.