1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[VIDEO] The Making of 'Cardboard Wonderland'

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by ya3, Nov 15, 2009.

1. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

Dude, you didn't win because you didn't use a fully sick L series lens brah!

Time to take photo: 1/200th of a second
    Time to shop cup into photo: 200 hours

Fantastic shop, unbelievably good.

Fuck Canon.

Yes, consider this a vendor verdict, I look forward to hearing from Canons lawyers.

2. FB008

FB008 Member

Wait until you get home perhaps? :p

Nice work ya3, but maybe the photoshop in extremis was your undoing...

How long did it take in total for the 'chop?

3. SyN

SyN Member

im sure you would be pretty damn happy if you look like her in the photo... no wait a sec youd be effin confused

4. methd

methd Member

i LOL at that. good chopping work.. very impressive, and to reiterate everyone's comments, perhaps your downfall in this comp as well.

5. McChook

McChook Member

I know its been said, but here's my take

The final result is brilliant, as is the process that gets you there.
    But at what point is a piece of art no longer a "photograph". The comp is called photo5, so by definition, they want a photo.

Where's the line in the sand?
    There are few elements from the original photograph there, but so much of the image was added after the photograph was taken. The only part I would constitute as a photograph (in my eyes) is Rebecca. The rest of the piece, I don't think can be called a photo.

2 cents....

6. UB3R

UB3R Member

yeah, subscribed so i dont forget.

7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I think the reason it was not chosen as a finalist is probably because it looked too professional. The competition is ran for amateur photographers. When you start bringing in make up artist, studio lighting, pro standard PPing, etc, it's no longer in the realm of amateur photography.

8. michael_

michael_ Member

its mainly photoshop, thats why, im with McChook, whilst it is absolutely amazing and i would love those skills if its a photo comp then it should be strickly a photo with minimal PP

9. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Damn after getting home i watched this and saw the mammoth work involved with this photo. But unfortunately its been over processed and become more of a illustration piece.

So i think he judges might have seen this and ticked it off, favoring the more photo type entries :\

10. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

In saying that its 'too much photoshop' for the competition, how many of you actually got it completely wrong with how much was actually done though? I really didnt think there was THAT much done to it before seeing the video, so why would the judges?

11. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

:handup: I picked it up. And if i can, i think the judges would have too.

12. low-key

low-key Member

Sure that's impressive but I'm personally stinging to see the making of video of this masterpiece....

13. OP
    OP
    ya3

ya3 Member

Eh... Personally, I always work to commercial standards. I judge images based on their commercial value (ie. would it be good enough to publish in a magazine?) To me, all that matters is the final product, because I know you can't produce a good final product without starting with a vision.

Photoshopping needs a vision and creativity, just like photography. If it was purely technical knowledge, then the entire Adobe Photoshop development team should be world-famous award-winning digital artists. But they're not.

I could have built the set pieces by hand, out of cardboard, and shot them all at once, but I didn't feel like. How does that have anything to do with my photography skills? ;)

Anyway, as someone said, I doubt the judges knew any better.

14. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

I like it! I'd like to see Scott Kelby do better.

15. McChook

McChook Member

I didn't realise the true extent of the manipulation at first look, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought was digital.... But not as much as was actually done

16. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

This is so true, let me quote it again

Technically, I could do everything that Ya3 did in photoshop in that shoot. Once you learn the skills, it's not difficult.. The difficult thing is having the vision and direction to put it all together.. To go from a good, but ordinary photo and make it into what was the final product. The thing that stands him apart from the rest of us is being able to put it all together coherently and come up with a great result at the end.

Creating something like that is more than just a sum of its parts.. It's having the foresight to know what works, and to move in a consistant direction towards the goal..

It's no less important than getting shutter speed, apeture and composition right.

At the end of the day, and ESPECIALLY in fashion and glamour, you're creating an end image. A look, a feel, a concept..

How much is done is photoshop is COMPLETELY irrelevant to the client and the audience. It's the image that counts.

17. xylem

xylem Member

I think it says a lot actually. I can make full court basketball shots but i didn't feel like it so i used some footage of me shooting a ball, a ball traveling through the air and a ball going through the net. Combined and edited it makes it look like I'm scoring from the other end of the court. How does my video editing skills have anything to do with my basketball skills?

Maybe it just says more about your motivations and what you enjoy more than skills. Whilst a lot would find the challenge of pulling it off in one shot, the post processing for desired effect, you obviously thought you'd get a better result, or were more motivated to do most of it digitally.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  18. MatterHorn

MatterHorn (Taking a Break)

Thanks for sharing the 'making of' video - fantastic stuff :D

19. Demonic2005

Demonic2005 Member

Fantastic stuff, damm right Photoshop is part of the creativity

I admit looking at the image you can see the extent of the PP, Albeit the calculator got me I seriously though that was the entire prop apart from the receipt

But yeah i'd suspect the reason you didn't get picked is it does look off a professional commercial grade far beyond the realms of anything amateur

20. [/\V3NG3R]

[/\V3NG3R] Member

Holy Crap...

You are a Photoshop legend.

The majority of the things in that scene are fabricated using only Photoshop and Google images, and they look blisteringly realistic.